Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

12 week old puppy stools

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Michelle McColgan, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Michelle McColgan

Michelle McColgan PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new here so looking for some advice please.

I have had my lab puppy now for 3 weeks now hes now 12 weeks old and his stools seem to go between normal and runny throughout the day.

He had bad diarrhoea after 2 days with us, which the vet advised could be stress however she gave him eradia metronadizole and a nutrivet probiotic and I put him on a diet of boiled chicken and rice for about 5 days until his stomach settled then gradually reintroduced his food. The breeder had him on eukanuba medium puppy 350g a day so we have just kept him in this.

Now after about a week of normal stools he is going back to very soft stools again, is this normal for a puppy? I asked my vet should I consider changing his food and they keep telling me to put him back on chicken and rice and wean him back on to the food, so I feel like I'm getting nowhere?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

#1 Michelle McColgan, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What are his feeding times and are you sure you are giving him the correct amount? The week of normal stools - was that on the Eukanuba or the chicken and rice?

Too much in a short space of time (his meals should be spread evenly over the 24 hour period) and over feeding can both cause the loose stools.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Michelle McColgan

Michelle McColgan PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I give him his first meal at about 7am, 2nd about 1pm and 3rd about 6pm. I've weighed him and I'm giving him the amount it says on the bag for his weight. Normal stools were on the chicken and rice and the first week back on his own food however they seem to be going really soft again. As of yesterday I've stopped giving him treats and just giving him his kibble as a reward for toilet training, incase it's the treats that's upsetting his stomach and see if that makes a difference. I was thinking about changing his food but I've read that could upset it even more.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I think you’re right eliminating treats first and only feeding his food. Perhaps try cutting his food back 10%. Overfeeding can cause loose pooh. (The recommended amount is a guide. Some dogs need bit more, others less) If that doesn’t help, then I would go back to chicken and rice until you have a few good days of normal pooh and then introduce food. Try a little slower than last time. If you want to change his food that would be the time to do it - but very slowly.
    Heidi has an ongoing tummy bug at 12 months. We were back and forth to the vet for months. I put her on Bionic Biotic tummy supplement from Pooch and Mutt and we were away. Still very tentatively but definite progress. (I always keep a pouch in the cupboard)

#4 Mum2Heidi, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    niamh123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice