Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

12 week old mischief maker

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by puggymama, Jan 25, 2008.

1. puggymama

puggymama PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    I'm a first time mummy for a beautiful 12 week old pug. She is an absolutely great little character but has a tendancy to only hear what she wants to. She is housebroken and is gradually becomming more and more confident. Although she has a very strong will and likes doing what she wants, I have tried to be firm with her and show leadership. Her bite inhibition is getting better, but I have noticed that when i scold her for chewing on cables or on peoples clothes she gets all mouthy and tries to bite. She isnt a fan of being told what to do at all and even some of the exercises to show her who is dominant dont seem to be working on her. I am really trying to do right by her and raise her to be a calm healthy well adjusted dog. She also tends to freak out when I leave her and gets really anxious for a while. Even though I thought she was getting better at it, I can close the door when i go into the bathroom and she willl be outside kicking up a helluva noise. I try not to open the door until she is quiet, but its getting to the point where I worry about my neighbours complaining because she sounds as if shes in pain she is howling and crying so badly. Does anyone have any advice? I love her to bits but she is really hard work a the moment and i find myself forcing myself to be patient with her and then snapping at my boyfriend (poor him)
    All advice is very welcome!

D

2. Angelicats

Angelicats PetForums Junior

Hi,
    Its going to take time and patience, any pup is going to chew and play up sometimes, its a part of growing up. Try keeping things she shouldn`t have out the way, and make sure she as plenty of her on things to play with. Also voice control, like when you say no, you say it as you mean it, and praise her when she is good. Another thing to consider is that it could be a pugs nature to be abit stubborn, thats one reason to research a breed before owning one. Regarding being left a lone, you can try leaving her on her own for a short while then going in to her, and each time you do this gradually extend the length of time you are away from her, this will help her to know that she is not alone completely and help her to understand that at some time you will come back.

3. roy38

roy38 PetForums Junior

This is true and sometimes pups are naughty for no other reason but they believe they can get away with it! JUST like naughty children

4. puggymama

Thanks everyone, I think patience is the main option. Bless her shes a smart wee cookie and is picking up her training really well...im turning into such a proud mummy. we're still working on her tendancy to be deaf when she feels like it....
    !

5. puggymama

Just for you Darren here is a wee pic of the terror!

Dawn

Attached Files:

6. what a beauty - she's ssoooo cute!!!

7. puggymama

Awwww thank you all, shes getting better and guess what I left her today and not a whimper! She is getting so much better! I'm such a proud mummy, me and the wee girl are gonna go watch Dog Whisperer!

Dawn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice