UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11 years ago today I walked into a rescue...

I didnt want to be there, I was still raw and unsure I could ever love another dog after loosing my beloved Max 3 months earlier..

But we had woken up to intruders in our house the night before and OH was adamant we needed a dog, we had never had burgelars or problems while Max was around..

It was my birthday and I wanted to be at home drinking tea and eating chocolate...

The rescue told us they only had 3 dogs and didnt think they were suitable...
1 a JRT had sat for three days with her dead owner before neighbours found her. She was used to a quiet houshold not like ours with 3 teenage kids running about..
the second was an elderly yorkie from a man who had had to go into a nursing home, the dog looked as if he needed a nursing home too he was about 8 or 9 and too much love and not enough walking and turned him into a footstool..
The third was a young dog but just skin and bone, taken from people who had him locked in a shed..He had only been passed fit for adoption a couple of days before having spent 3 weeks in the vet hospital recovering from injuries and malnutrition...

He looked as if someone had hung a black and white fluffy rug over a clothes hanger. But he bounced about a bit then flopped down in a heap and the lady explained he wanted to play but was still building his strength and muscle back up..
OH said 'Im sure he will fit in' and I got to take home the bag of bones..

He spent many an afternoon just sleeping resting his head on my lap or laying on my feet while I read my book..
I found myself falling for the brown eyed boy and for 11 years now we have been best friends. He is there when I wake and sleeps next to the bed all night. He has kept me company on many a long walk shared my joy and licked my face clean of tears when I was at my lowest point..

So today is my birthday and a sad day for me but made bright by the fact that its Oscars 11th gotcha day...

My brown eyed boy's special day ...

Attachments

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
What a beautiful story; Oscar was lucky to find you, and you him. I hope that you still get to drink tea and eat chocolate on your birthday and that Oscar enjoys his Gotcha Day.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
What an emotional story but so special. Hope you have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY and Oscar has a HAPPY GOTCHA DAY, he's such a lovely chappie x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.