Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

11-week-old Maine Coon kitten and litterbox

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by robin4444, Jul 14, 2020.

1. robin4444

robin4444 PetForums Newbie

Hello, everyone! Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. We are getting a pair of Maine Coon kittens who will be 11 weeks old when we bring them home. They're used to pine pellet litter, so I bought the Breeze Tidy Cat litter box because it's suited to use of that kind of litter.

My concern is that they may not be able to easily get into the box. It's 6.5 inches high at the lowest point and in addition has a 2-inch horizontal lip at the top. Can anyone tell me if an 11-week-old kitten can easily navigate this height? I'm sure they could crawl over it but I don't want them to have difficulty and decide it's easier just to go outside the box; my husband is going to be very unhappy if this happens. I thought about putting a little step in front of the box but I'm afraid that might be too frightening for them also since they're coming into a new household with an unimaginable number of unfamiliar and scary things for them to absorb.

Thanks again for any advice you have on this. I'm very glad to have found this forum, and hope I can contribute to it as I learn about having a pair of baby Maine Coons.

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The litter box won’t be a problem for agile kittens. Ours are higher, being top entry, and they took to them from the start.
    But is there no chance for them to stay a few more weeks with their mum? The recommended minimum age for leaving is 12 weeks, with 14 weeks being a lot better. They learn so much in this very essential time!

3. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

6.5" is nothing to a healthy 11 week old kitten, all of mine are capable of jumping up onto the windowsill at that age.

11 weeks old is a bit of a weird age to leave the breeder, they won't have had both sets of vaccines done by then :confused:

chillminx likes this.
  4. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

If you're worried about them making that height into the litter tray, I think you should mentally prepare yourselves for your kittens' arrival :)

I'm just teasing of course but really, better to start wondering how to stop them jumping onto your worktops, sticking down your ornaments, putting chew proof cable covers where necessary and look at buying some form of window protection if you like them open for some air.

11 weeks is too early, as others have said.

chillminx and OrientalSlave like this.
  5. robin4444

Thanks, chaoscat. They were born on May 5, so they will actually be just two days short of 12 weeks. The breeder is leaving for Maine shortly after that (she lives in New Mexico and we in Colorado), so this is as late as it can be. I think 12 weeks is pretty standard for many breeders here. Being littermates will help a little in their acclimatization, I hope. Thank you for your reply.

6. robin4444

They will have had just one trip to the vet and one set of shots; the second is our responsibility. Thank you, Tigermoon.

7. robin4444

No, we understand they can get to any height they want to; we've spent the last two weeks clearing out and giving away various things that sit on horizontal surfaces. I just didn't want them to have any problems getting into these litter boxes that don't have a lower entry opening as some do.

Your answer brings up another question: We've surveyed all the seemingly millions of feet of electrical cords we have around on our various electronics. We had a pair of cats 35 years ago (different situation, we lived on an acreage and the cats had free run in and out of the house except at night and they both lived to 17 years). We didn't know enough at that time to cover cords. Do you folks find that chewing cords is a problem? Of course it either would be no problem at all or a fatal one, I suppose. We probably didn't have as many cords back in those days. I don't think we have enough time to get every cord covered by the end of the month, to say nothing of the $1,000 we'll have to spend on covers. Have to be responsible though. Thank you, gskinner123.

8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Some cats like to chew thinner cords but not the thick cables. I've just cut a light switch cord in half because Jumpy got his leg caught in it 2 nights ago, and it had never happened before in the past 8 years, even though it's close to where he sleeps. So even if it seems ok, they could still have an accident so please cover or remove any thin cords you have in the house!

9. robin4444

ChaosCat likes this.
  10. robin4444

upload_2020-7-14_11-6-21.png And this is Ariel, the female.

chillminx, Treaclesmum and ChaosCat like this.
  11. robin4444

And I didn't know how to make the pix smaller. I'll be learning! I hope you enjoy seeing these.

12. robin4444

Absolutely. Thanks!

13. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I find that phone charger cables (same goes for laptop and tablet chargers) are much sought after items by kittens, as her headset cords, any cable going to the TV, set top box, DVD/BluRay player and games console will also get chewed. I have covered any cable that has electricity running through it at all times (i.e. if it is always switched on at the plug). Phone chargers and smaller cables I hide when not in use.

14. robin4444

Thank you! We'd better get busy!

15. Dr.A

Dr.A PetForums Member

I second this mine are obsessed with phone charger cables

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice