Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

11 month old bullmastiff nutriotion problem?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by scubadog86, Apr 19, 2011.

1. scubadog86

scubadog86 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys and thank you in advance for taking time out to reply.

I have a 11 month old bullmastiff who for the last few months have constantly had runny ( water like ) poo. I feed him and my husky pup good quality dry food from pets at home called wainwrights it’s nearly £40 a bag and recommended by them over more expensive alternatives. now my bullmastiff ( Duke ) is suffering from cataract yes at 11 months old and has hat it for at least 2-3 months as he has been diagnosed with one eye smaller than the other. can this upset his stomach?

Shall i start ' raw feeding him ' and how shall i start with such a big hungry dog who is only half the size he is going to be. i must add that i follow the guidlines on the bag of food i.e giant breed 600-680 grams per day.

I have been told by one or two fellow dog owners that he is not getting enough fibre and to give him poridge/oats? shall this substitute one of his meals or ad to it, and when is the best time to give it to him

He is due an operation on his eye on June 4th in Hereford, shall I start any new diet before?

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry. I'm a little confused about what you're asking.

You want to change his food to a different food because he has an eye problems?

Wainwrights is a good food, but not all foods suit all dogs. Have you tried different foods?

Raw can be very complicated, there's a big sticky that tells you all you need to know. You need to be sure he's getting the correct percentages of offal, meat and bone. And is getting the right amount for his weight. Obviously you're aware it's not as simple as just giving him some raw meat.

Can I ask how these other dog owners came to the conclusion that the dog wasn't getting enough fiber? Was it simply because of the runny stools?

That could be any number of things, when were your dogs last wormed for instance? And did you use a decent wormer, or a shop bought one?

I'd not add porridge oats, simply because dogs have no use for oats in their diet, they're a filler and will come right out the other end.

You could try the pets at home wainwrights wet food trays instead of the dry food, it's higher in fiber and has helped a few dogs with dodgy tums around here.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I cant see his eye problems having anything to do with his digestive upsets to be honest. Have you spoken to your vet about the runny watery poos?
    There are many basic simple things that can cause this, that can be checked with a 3 day fecal sample. This would show up things like any worms, protozoa parasite infections like giardia and coccidia, and bacterial infections,
    some of which need specific and a long course of certain antibiotics.
    So if you havent already some basic tests might be an idea to rule out any common problems.

Im not familiar with wainwrights, but just check that it hasnt got wheat and maize it it a lot of dogs are allergic to what and maize products too. Some dogs are also allergic to certain meat proteins too. So if he has always had problems on the wainwrights it certainly might be worth looking at change.
    what suits one dog doesnt suit another. Any change though you need to do gradually over a week or two adding a little more of the new and a little less of the old each day, as sudden abrubt change can cause stomach upsets too.

4. scubadog86

Hi and thankyou.

No i was wondering if a bad eye could be causing some stress and theirfor making his stool very runny well constantly runny.

He is regularly wormed and the last brand was bob martin.

I understand raw feeding can me complicated but if it is better for the dogs it will be better for me, i am going through 40kg of food a month ( nearly 3 sacks ) so maybe it can almost work out cheaper. but I would like to hear from owners with similar size dog so i can have a better understanding and how much of what to get.

well i will not bother with oats/porridge

5. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

It could be that Wainwrights doesn't agree with our boy.

You don't say how often you feed him? If you are feeding twice a day it might be better to split the meals into say three so he is not packing his stomach up in one sitting.

Tripe is also good for putting on weight.

Whatever you do just take it slowly :smile:

6. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Sorry just read your new post.

You seem to be going through a fair amount of dry food. I have two great danes and I don't go through 3 sacks a month. My danes are fed twice a day and have the ocassional dish of tripe.

How much are you feeding the mastiff and how often? What's his current weight?

7. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

Hi , I don't tihnk bob martin is really reccomended at all on here , your much better off buying a single tablet from your vets, where they will weigh your dog and give you a good tablet :)

8. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I'd get a decent wormer if I were you. Shop ones are known to be crap. Vetuk sell drontal etc.

Raw would probably work out cheaper, and if you feel confident feeding it, I'd go for it.

9. scubadog86

Guys Thankyou for your posts.

The 3 sacks I go through is not just for my 11 month old bullmastiff i also have a 5 month old husky so between them it is that amount.

I think I will get down my vets and buy a proper worming tablet as you guys have suggested.

Ye i have been told frozen tripe is good so i will get that and i suppose i substitute that for a one of his three dry food meals.

If i raw feed my bullmastiff i might as well do the husky at the same time after all the husky in theory should take to it better.

if anybody has a good daily diet for this i would much appreciate your feedback and how i should get started.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice