I have a 10-year-old lionhead neutered male. His time has come, but I don't know how I want him to go. I can take him to the vet, but the vet will want to put him down, but will that hurt him more? I could let him drift off at home, but is that more humane? He's been an angsty boy, and only getting worse as he ages. He hates to be picked up and fusses and grunts when I handle him even to clean and clip him. I've been preparing for the day when his health turns south, and I think that's today. I got home from work today and he's collapsed. My furry baby won't eat, won't drink, won't stand. But he will summon the strength to leap across the floor to get away from me when I pick him up to check on him, before collapsing to his side again. NOT happy binks, he is miserable. He has diarrhea, and discharge from his eyes. He's been developing cataracts for nearly a year now. I lost his brother and companion nearly two years ago now to a tumor. His brother had a lot of the same symptoms and in the end he did not go peacefully. I took his brother to the vet, and the poor thing nearly killed himself skittering about and trying to escape the vet. Ungrateful and angry to the end, after being subdued and diagnosed with a cancerous mass he bit the vet hard enough to draw blood. I adopted both of them from a rescue over 4 years ago when I was living in an apartment with no space for a larger pet. They were good, quiet, if skittish, and poorly socialized companions. even forcing them to accept my adoration and their grooming never made them more accustomed to humans. Finding where they hid was a daily delight, always together, always in the smallest possible nook. Since the death of my first bunny, I've moved into a larger home and gotten a puppy, who wants nothing more than to get into the Rabbit Room and play with her brother. His quality of life isn't good. He's near, if not entirely, blind. He hides in his den all day and barely comes out to eat and drink. Right now, I know this is the end for him. But I don't know if I should take him to the vet and stress him out further, or let him slip away in the peace of his home. He's decidedly not fond of humans and has never been fond of the vet, though never as aggressive as his brother. I'm afraid if I do take him to the vet like I took his brother it will kill him. But, I also fear that if I don't I might prolong his suffering.