Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

10 years, is it time?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by s4mountaintop, Jul 16, 2019.

?

Which is better for my old man of a baby?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2019.
  1. Drifting off at home?

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Going to the vet?

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. s4mountaintop

s4mountaintop PetForums Newbie

I have a 10-year-old lionhead neutered male. His time has come, but I don't know how I want him to go. I can take him to the vet, but the vet will want to put him down, but will that hurt him more? I could let him drift off at home, but is that more humane?

He's been an angsty boy, and only getting worse as he ages. He hates to be picked up and fusses and grunts when I handle him even to clean and clip him.
    I've been preparing for the day when his health turns south, and I think that's today. I got home from work today and he's collapsed. My furry baby won't eat, won't drink, won't stand. But he will summon the strength to leap across the floor to get away from me when I pick him up to check on him, before collapsing to his side again. NOT happy binks, he is miserable. He has diarrhea, and discharge from his eyes. He's been developing cataracts for nearly a year now. I lost his brother and companion nearly two years ago now to a tumor. His brother had a lot of the same symptoms and in the end he did not go peacefully. I took his brother to the vet, and the poor thing nearly killed himself skittering about and trying to escape the vet. Ungrateful and angry to the end, after being subdued and diagnosed with a cancerous mass he bit the vet hard enough to draw blood.
    I adopted both of them from a rescue over 4 years ago when I was living in an apartment with no space for a larger pet. They were good, quiet, if skittish, and poorly socialized companions. even forcing them to accept my adoration and their grooming never made them more accustomed to humans. Finding where they hid was a daily delight, always together, always in the smallest possible nook. Since the death of my first bunny, I've moved into a larger home and gotten a puppy, who wants nothing more than to get into the Rabbit Room and play with her brother. His quality of life isn't good. He's near, if not entirely, blind. He hides in his den all day and barely comes out to eat and drink.
    Right now, I know this is the end for him. But I don't know if I should take him to the vet and stress him out further, or let him slip away in the peace of his home. He's decidedly not fond of humans and has never been fond of the vet, though never as aggressive as his brother.
    I'm afraid if I do take him to the vet like I took his brother it will kill him. But, I also fear that if I don't I might prolong his suffering.

Attached Files:

#1 s4mountaintop, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Senior

My 11 year old blind rabbit kevin passed away in May, he had many similar symptoms to your boy. i adopted him 3 weeks before his passing and simply wanted to offer him some tlc and hospice care outside of the bad rescue i found him in. i never wanted to have him put down i wanted him to go in his own time. so I went to eh vet, got some pain meds and syringe food and cared for him in his final days. vets often want to put poorly animals down near the end as they see it as a issue with care and if i didnt help him they could take him away from me. so i got the meds took him home and phoned them to say he had passed even though he hadnt. i carried him around wrapped in a blanket and let him rest in a hamster cage that i filled with blankets and his favoutite teddy. later that day he had a fit and passed. he dint always like to be in my arms so i let him lay wherever he was comforatble, i knew the end was near and so i decided to spoil him, he wasnt eating his food so i tried him on anything i could find, i new that a little bit of my pizza or sandwhich wasnt going to hurt him now. i gave him calpol and kept him warm. he never liked the vets i and knew he would be better off at home and not having to go through the stress of the journey to the vets.

I hope my experince helps

3. Alfold03

Alfold03 PetForums Junior

I would take him to the vet - it could draw out his suffering otherwise and since he isn't eating that is a sure sign there is something wrong and rabbits tend to go downhill from there very fast.
    I'm sorry to here about you're poor bunny but I respect your decision its time.
    Taking him to be put down would be the most humane in my opinion as at least it is a painless end and he won't be suffering.
    You've done really well to get him to 10 already, I hope this helps a little in your decision.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice