Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

10 week old puppy - uninterested in food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sprongers, May 27, 2020.

1. Sprongers

Sprongers PetForums Newbie

I've browsed a number of threads on this topic but thought I'd explain our challenge. We have a working springer spaniel boy who turns 10 weeks tomorrow. He was the tubbiest pup in the 11 strong litter and we thought we'd have a hungry boy. He's been home with us for nearly 2 weeks on exactly the same diet the breeder had him on (Eukanuba and raw beef). He's just completely uninterested in food - we have him on 3 meals a day (4 was just a waste of food), he has kibble in the morning (6.30am) and then a mixture of the kibble and meat at lunch (12pm) and dinner (6.30pm). I have taken to hand-feeding him as a way to spark some interest in the food which has worked a bit but there is still a fair bit leftover. I called the breeder who said he experienced the same with the 2 puppies he kept as there is no longer competition for food but thought it would change in a few days. Have been patient now but am concerned it's still the same 2 weeks in... we changed his bowl for a flatter plate (a tip I saw on here!) but it's made no difference. We have structured feeding times and It's only ever down for 30 mins at a time too (the remaining 25 mins he generally ignores it). Adding water doesn't change it nor does heating it up slightly. If I wasn't sitting with him and hand feeding him I don't think he'd eat at all - he does eat when I hand feed though so its not a case of him not liking it - he doesn't seem to really love any of the food! When we train him, he's very responsive to praise but will sniff and lick a treat (we've tried several) and just doesn't seem to care for them - have tried a small bit of apple, or strawberry or carrot too and he barks at it for a while before licking it and generally ignoring it. He couldn't be less interested in a kong with treats either, although has enjoyed bigger chews and bones when we've given them to him. I'm worried he's having around half what the recommended amount seems to be. He'll merrily munch some compost, a rock or leaves in the garden if we let him. We're weighing him often and he is putting on weight, he's otherwise lively and toileting fine - am I just being neurotic?! Everyone else seems to have a dog who wolfs their food down and goes mad for a treat!

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I would probably try giving him less food for a bit; if he was the tubbiest pup then he’d probably been over-eating anyway.

If he continues to gain weight then there’s no harm at the moment in doing as you’re doing (keep to set mealtimes) and if he doesn’t eat all his food up in, say, 15 minutes then take the bowl up and put down fresh food at the next, scheduled, mealtime.

Don’t overfill him with treats although I get that you need some for training. You could try small pieces of chicken, or liver treats

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Is he definitely tubby from having had a good appetite - he couldn't have worms could he?

4. Sprongers

He was wormed the day before we got him and there certainly haven't been any signs of that on him or his poo as far as I can tell so far. He's due his next de-wormer next week too.

JoanneF likes this.
  5. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

It's rather hot where I am and my dog doesn't want to eat until evening, could it be that its just too hot for him to want to eat much?

kimthecat likes this.
  6. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My dog was just not interested in food as a pup, and honestly it nearly broke me as I used to spend forever feeding him each bit of kibble separately as he just wouldn't eat, he loved treats and tit bits and I did try a couple of different foods wet and dry and still nothing, the only thing that got him eating was getting another dog and him thinking he was going to have to compete for food.

7. Sprongers

oh goodness me, I can just about cope with one I don't know if we could get another! I'm going to hope that time cures it and when he starts going on walks he maybe feels hungrier - we're trying to get him exercise in the house and garden but it's been so hot and he's not had much energy

8. Sprongers

I think this could be part of it - he's been much quieter and slept a lot more now it's been warm. I hope that when he's being walked he'll have more of an appetite maybe?

9. Sprongers

Thanks Linda, i'm going to try on the chicken - haven't tried this yet. We don't fill him on treats because he's not interested in them either - he gets the odd chew which he's happy about, but that's only every couple of days or so.

10. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I did wait until he was 8 months old when I added another one, oh gosh 2 young puppies would send me round the bend :D

11. Sprongers

Just thought I'd post a reply on here in case helpful for anyone else - we stuck with what we were doing in terms of the food and timing and slightly reduced food portions and he's settled completely over the last couple of days and is eating nearly everything on his own or cleaning the bowl a few times. He seems much more interested in treats now too, so maybe he's found his hunger or has settled into the routine. Phew!

12. dixydax

dixydax PetForums Newbie

I have an 11 month old miniature dachshund who has been a nightmare to feed since the day we brought her home with a supply of the food she was already on, kibble and some raw mince. After 3 days of her refusing to eat anything but the mince , I bought a different puppy food - kibble, and mixed it with a tiny bit of raw mince - again, she just wouldn't eat it, only the mince.So I then found that Royal Canin do a specifix Dachshund puppy kibble so bought that. First 2 meals went down pretty quickly even without the mince - great, I thought, I've cracked it! No such luck, day 3 she looked at it as if to say 'you're kidding me, I had this yesterday and the day before'. So then I thought I'd try raw food, did the research, bought 4 different packs from different suppliers. First one, yummy, love this. Second one, not so much but ate it, packs 3 and 4 went to my Labradoodle as she wouldn't even sniff them let alone eat them.

All in all, I must have tried over 20 different foods for her, not fussing over her at all and shutting her in the kitchen so she can't immediately walk away from it. She'll tuck into a new variety sometimes but mostly she doesn't unless I put freshly made bisto gravy on it - not good for her I know but neither is starving herself. Now that she is fully grown I don't stress about her not getting enough to eat - I never give her treats between meals, just a couple of her own kibble biscuits at bedtime or for training. She's extremely active and very healthy and I have come to accept that I just have to ignore her whilst she has food down, if she hasn't eaten any of it after 5 minutes I take it up and she doesn't get anything to eat again until next mealtime. Sometimes she will eat well for as many as 3 days in a row and then she barely touches her food for the next 2. That's just how she is. Just one thing that I have noticed, she is most likely to eat about an hour after a good long walk, she never eats at breakfast time. I have never in 60 years of having dogs had one that doesn't eat regular meals- extremely frustrating!

13. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I will just quickly put a note on here about raw beef. If it's human grade beef from the supermarket or butcher (as opposed to raw beef made specifically for dogs), it needs to be frozen for 2 weeks before feeding to kill neospora. Meat made for dogs will already have been frozen for the appropriate time, but any other beef won't have been and your dog could contract neosporosis.

Sprongers, Torin. and caterpiller like this.
  14. Sprongers

Thank you, That’s good to know

15. Sprongers

This is what I’m noticing a couple of weeks in, sometimes he wants it and sometimes he doesn’t, but overall he seems to be a healthy pup so am remaining cautiously positive that we’ve found a system that seems to work for the most part!

16. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

My 9-10 month old puppy is the exact same way-she's uninterested in food and never wants breakfast. She will eat 3 bites of some food and walk away. She will eat human food-chicken and potato, liver, tuna very happily. I tried raw yesterday-nope-she wouldn't eat it. She's hyperactive and barely sleeps in the day so you'd think she would be hungry. Even after a walk she doesn't eat well.

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

What with? Some over the counter wormers aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

caterpiller likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice