Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

10 week old kitten with fleas

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Seventh, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Seventh

Seventh PetForums Junior

Hi,

I've used these forums before for help with my rabbits but I'm now looking for advice with a kitten that we got today.

He is 10 weeks old and when I've been giving him a good feel, he appears to have flea dirt under his chin. Now I know most of the flea treatments you can get from the pet shops/supermarket are for kittens that are 12 weeks and over so I was wondering if there was something I could use for this little one or if I would need to take him to the vets for something that is safe.

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thanks

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Are you sure it's not feline acne?

3. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Does sound like feline acne to me aswell, flea dirt is normally seen along the kittens back especially by the base of the tail.

4. Seventh

Seventh PetForums Junior

Ah - I've never heard of feline acne before. Will look up some piccies/info and see if its the same. Does it make them itch?

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It can do

It is often confined to the chin - often caused by a slight reaction to plastic bowls - looks like little pinpoints of black.

6. Seventh

Seventh PetForums Junior

I've just checked his gums and they are incredibly pale so I will be taking him to the vets as soon as I can get him in.

7. Seventh

Seventh PetForums Junior

Definatly fleas, bathed him in warm water - they all rushed to his head and chin and I managed to pull off I don't know how many! There are still more I know but hopefully will the amount that I've drowned, he will have a fighting chance until I can get him to the vets. Slightly worried as he's doing a lot of sleeping but he has eaten and drunk and also been to the toilet since we got him. He's also played a little.

Fingers crossed the vets will accept him when they open up tomorrow!

8. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

please please get him seen by a vet and treated for the fleas asap. i've just lost a litter of 4 kittens that i rescued to anaemia caused by a flea infestation. they all needed a blood transfusion but were too tiny to have one. my heart has been broken this week losing these tiny lives. please get help for your kitten as soon as possible

9. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

you can give a 12 week old kitten most flea treatments, can you get any tonight or do you have anything in the home to give him.

10. Seventh

Seventh PetForums Junior

He is only 10 weeks. I do have a treatment in as I have another cat so I keep them "in stock" along with wormer but I didn't want to put any on the little one with him not being old enough. Don't want to do him any harm. Really upset that he has come this way - poor little mite! :(

11. Seventh

Seventh PetForums Junior

I'm so sorry about the loss of your kittens. I will have our kitten at the vets in the morning as soon as they open. Its been a long time since I've had a kitten so small and I'm determined to do all that we can for him!

12. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

aw bless him , be sure to keep him warm sfter getting him wet they can lose heat very quickly, keep changing bedding, warm hottie in his bed, you can get a lot of the fleas off with comb. maybe some red raw meat might help if suffering anemia, not sure?

13. chiquita

chiquita PetForums Member

When I got Gucci home at 10 weeks old, she was full of fleas, but I had an appointment already booked with the vets for a check over as soon as she came home. The vets rubbed in flea stuff and really sorted her out, and with the advocate flea drops every month, she doesn't have any:thumbup:

14. Figaro

Figaro PetForums Member

My kittens now 11 weeks but I got him at 8'weeks and the vet gave me a frontline spray which goes by weight. He could only have 3 sprays but that cleared up most of the fleas he is due another spray soon to clear up the rest and any more that may have hatched.

15. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

Advocate (the one for small cats under 4kg) says it can be used on kittens 9 wks and over, frontline says 8 wks

#15 wind1, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  16. chiquita

chiquita PetForums Member

Let us know how you get on at the vets seventh :)

17. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Sorry, i meant to post most flea treatments can be given at 9 weeks old or kittens weighing 1kg.

I expect the vet will use frontline spray, i use this on kittens from 2 days old.

18. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

poor kitten, hope he's going to be ok. it makes me really mad that people sell kittens with fleas, the lady I got my Nyx of was given fiproline spray and panacur wormer from the vets for Nyx and her siblings and my vet commented last week how nice it was to see a kitten with absolutely no fleas, I have a bit of little creepy crawly phobia (fleas, ticks, lice) tough so im extra careful my poor pup had fleas when I brought him home and he went straight to vet for flea treatment. I actually saw a lady advertise her kittens as something like £25 for kittens NOT wormed and deflead or £30 deflead and wormed and it made me really angry :mad2:

19. Seventh

Seventh PetForums Junior

Hi all - had the little one down at the vets this morning. The vet used a frontline spray on him. Not a lot as he only weighs 557lbs but it was enough to see results within hours! We also have drops for his eyes as they were a little hunky and he has to go back on Friday for a check up but hopefully this is the start of him getting better.

He's been a lot more playful today and has eaten better too. Looking forward to finding a name for this little chap and watching him grow :)

20. Seventh

Seventh PetForums Junior

Haha gunky eyes not hunky!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice