Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

10 months puppy runs off to other #Re

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by MartiandLuna, Sep 1, 2019.

1. MartiandLuna

MartiandLuna PetForums Newbie

My 10 month old German Shepard runs off when sees a another dog. It is inconsistent as sometimes she ignores the dogs when I throw the ball to her but there always is a point when she runs off unexpected. She knows what "come here" means and reacts to it well when there is no dogs around. She does not run up to people. I would like to know is there any way of training a dog to come back without using other dogs as a distraction when training. I'm currently in a new area and do not know anyone who owes a dog and would have time to help me train her. Is there any steps to follow to correct this behaviour. Is it too late to correct it? It would be good to know what worked for other dog owners with the same problem .

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Keep her on a harness and long line while you work on recall and ignoring other dogs.

Only let her off when your 99% sure she will come back.

Each time she bigs off she just practises the unwanted behaviour.

Torin., Burrowzig, Sairy and 3 others like this.
  3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

As Lurcherlad says. Also, it’s unfair on other dogs/owners if your GSD comes bounding up. Some digs really don’t want other dogs approaching them like that. You need to keep yours under control until she can be trusted.
    The bottom line is: she finds (some?) other dogs more interesting than you, at present. In fairness, she’s still just a youngster. You need to keep working on her recall, giving lots of praise, treats, etc, when she returns. Don’t punish her if she’s slow to come back. When you’re out where there are other dogs, keep her on a long line so you can control her - as Lurcherlad says, the more she does it, the more ingrained it will become (she’s just having fun after all) and the harder it will become to train it out.

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

There must be training classes in your area? Great way to train your dog round others and make new pals too - get Googling! There will be something local to you, im sure:)

MartiandLuna likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Making yourself more interesting will make a difference too. Make sure that on walks, you are fully engaged with her all the time. Keep that phone in your pocket and play with her, give her sits, downs and waits to do. Practice stays while you hide behind a tree - all on a long line so she can't go to see other dogs.

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice