Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

10 months now.... and too excited....help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by harmeetjohal, Jul 14, 2009.

1. harmeetjohal

harmeetjohal PetForums Senior

My Leonberger is coming up to 10 months now and is trying to push the boundaries a bit as all dogs do when they hit this 'teenage stage,' but we're really strict with him at home and he is responds well and is well behaved.
    He just gets really excited when people come over to visit and is constantly in their face. I know Leo's love attention and love being around people but as soon as a visitor walks through the door they are bombarded by a 5 stone hairball and even while they are sitting down on the sofa he is constantly breathing in their face (after just having eaten tripe... nice!) and also mouths their hands/arms.
    When we go round friends and family's houses he plays up and does things that he wouldn't usually at home, even though we enforce the same rules that we do at home.
    He is not bad dog and is so well behaved at home. Just looking for some advice and helpful tips as to how to control this kind of behaviour...

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

When he is in your own home, id remove him from the room every time he exhibits unwanted behaviour.

When hes calm and quiet, let him back in. Repeat until he is able to be in the room without being overbearing.

Do you make sure that everyone ignores him when hes being exciteable?

3. harmeetjohal

yeah we do.
    as ppl are siting on the sofa he just wants to stick his face in ppls face.... and randomly gives paw....

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Awww.

One of mine does that, but in a slightly more enthusiastic manner. I have to shut them out of the room when i have people around, as they just wont calm.

Does he have any long lasting treats that he likes? Maybe offer him one of these when you have guests to divert his attention away from them. A stuffed kong would be an idea.

5. harmeetjohal

i really want to stop it tho... want him in the room, just not in ur face... dog breath, tea and biscuits dont really go...

6. rachel_babe10@hotmail.com

rachel_babe10@hotmail.com PetForums Newbie

Helloo. I normally go to other peoples house to go and deal with dog and puppy behaviour and it normally succseeds. I would advise getting him into a routen where you make him sit when the door goes and leave him to settle and when he is settled call him over & if he gets into the guests faces give him a shhh and push his head if this doesnt work i would advise getting an empty plasic bottle and filling it with stones and then shaking it very time he does some thing wrong if none of this advice works leave me a messages and i will give you plenty more tecnices thank you love rachel ox .

7. harmeetjohal

thanks Racheal... have just mailed u...

8. harmeetjohal

any more ideas?

9. Magnus

Magnus Keeper of a crazy little red dog!

My Leonberger (Bear) is now 13 months old and nearly ten stone.

He is still a puppy and behaves like one most of the time. We "train" him to not pull us off our feet on the lead but he still does, we train him not go "hug" everyone he meets but he still does etc. etc. :eek:

They are just the most loving dogs I've ever known and as long as you are doing a bit of training each day to make sure that he is learning not to be a pest I believe that they just need to be puppies.

He will calm down as he gets older (with continued training too) and you will look back and laugh at his puppy behaviour.

Just beautiful though aren't they? ;)

10. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Put a lead on him. If you don't already, put a dogs bed in the lounge and send him to it, when you have guests over. It will take time and persistance from you, in order for him to stay there, but you will get there x

11. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I did that with one of our dogs(put lead on) and after a few times it worked really well,i would take him to the person that was in a chair,then get him to sit,if he did this he got attention from the visitor ,if not i sat otherside of the room with him,and just about every 10 mins tried again, then when this went ok i would drop his lead and just let him walk over to the visitor,if he jumped at them then he came back to me with me holding the lead,he soon got the message with most people,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice