Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

10 month old puppy in new home

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by India Rawlings, Apr 24, 2019.

1. India Rawlings

India Rawlings PetForums Newbie

I picked up a 10 month old English Toy Terrier two days ago, he is very calm and well behaved and was 80% housetrained when I got him. However the previous owners used homeopathic remedies, which meant he had never had vaccinations before. I took him to the vets to get him vaccinations as I do not know how to practice homeopathic remedies, and in London I think vaccinations are a better option.

My problem is the vet has now told me he has to be treated like a new puppy and cannot go outside until his second jabs in 3-4 weeks time. This is very confusing for him as he doesn't think he can go to the toilet inside but hasn't been out for a walk to go to the toilet. He is also getting very restless as he is used to going out for a few walks a day.

I am starting to feel bad for him and want to know if anyone has any suggestions/advice?

2. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

Do you have a garden? He is allowed to go out in your garden but now out in public for those weeks.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If the previous owner had been walking him outside for several months then I would probably just carry on tbh as I wouldn’t have much trust in homeopathic methods anyway.

He’ll have some protection from the first jab anyway I would think.

Be selective where you take him and avoid dog dense areas/dogs maybe to limit any exposures.

He can then carry on toileting outside and having short walks which will help him settle.

Jamesgoeswalkies and niamh123 like this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would ignore the vet and just be careful where I walk him. If you do not have a garden you can hardly keep an adult dog indoors. Homeopathic vaccines are really not going to do anything so of course you have to vaccinate but hopefully the dog has built up some natural immunity and will be ok.

5. India Rawlings

I have a balcony//terrace which is big enough for him to explore but not massive.

6. India Rawlings

He came from a home with big open spaces/fields but had never been taken out into actual public, and I think London probably has a lot more diseases around (maybe that's me being naive). Maybe I can just take him around the residential pavements?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

But you could have asked to have him titre tested instead of vaccinated. That would have shown his immune levels to the three core diseases.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice