Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

10 month old GSD with soft ear

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sophie_230, Sep 19, 2018.

1. sophie_230

sophie_230 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I have a 10 month old German Shepherd. He has one ear that stood up no problem and the other that looks as though the lift broke down half way up. He is a pretty big guy and is currently weighing in at over 35kgs. He was purchased from a breeder, his dad has correct ears, so does his mum and grandmother and also his 7 siblings. He was late in getting his first ear to stand however this one doesn't seem as though its going anywhere. Has anyone ever come across this before? My previous shepherd never had this problem and I have never seen anything like it before.
    Atlas2.jpg

2. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Just posting so someone with experience on the ears can comment :)
    A friends westy suddenly got a droopy ear and it was found they had an ear infection, have you been to the vet?

3. sophie_230

Hi Alex, I have spoken to the Vet but it has never been up so it isn't a sudden worry. Vet says the cartilage may not have formed as of yet and to do research. Google says use breath right strips haha !

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Sometimes teething or adult teeth still settling in a young dog can affect ear stance which could be what is going us. Do you give him tough chews to munch on to help with teething and to help develop jaw muscles?

Picklelily and Sairy like this.
  5. sophie_230

Hi there, He is raw fed due to allergies so always has bones around to chew on. I get them from the butcher. I have tried him with the nylabones and it was a no go, he just looked at them. Same with rawhide and other forms of bones.

6. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

I know with dogs that have their ears trimmed and made to stand such as Dobermans here in the states they actually use tape and props to keep the ears up to "train " them to stand up. That is where the strips comes in that your vet was talking about. It is a way to get the ear to stand while the cartilage continues to develop so he doesn't end up with a permanent droopy ear. If the ear stays like that and the cartilage forms like that it may be that way permanently.

Picklelily likes this.
  7. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

we have a lady in town that has GSD siblings, both males
    they are both long haired but one is an uppy and one a downy and always has been, the difference in looks is amazing, you wouldnt even think they were the same breed let alone siblings
    my crestie has one ear up and one down, although he can raise both when he wants to
    if you google or youtube theres lots about how to tape GSD ears, but, in all honesty, if youre not going to show him, why bother? its just a quirk that makes him, him

Picklelily and Torin. like this.
  8. sophie_230

He hasn’t been cropped, usually there’s no need to but I was told he had very big ears which may be why it hasn’t been able to stand. May be worth trying something in it to stabalize it. Thank you

Rott lover likes this.
  9. sophie_230

Hi there! They do look so different without standing ears! I may have a look and see what they actually do. I’m happy for it to stay if needs be everyone loves his dodgy ear! Just more an idea of if it would ever go up at a later stage.

10. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Teething will effect ear position as others have said. Yes, you could tape the ears but he looks so adorable why bother unless you are going to show in which case I would have a chat with your breeder.
    It might be too late for ear taping at 10 months it's usually started (in Rough collies which is my knowledge base) from quite a young age.

I did trim my collie's ear hair at this stage to reduce the weight on the ear tip which helped.

He is lovely.

11. sophie_230

Thank you for your lovely comments ! He had the most beautiful face (but I am biased) I have spoken to his breeder who isn’t Adament it will be up by the time he’s 12 months old. I’m not hopeful haha ! I have read that you should start before 9 months old. But sometimes too much information is worse than not enough. Google is a mind field. It has started to stand a little but as you can see it got stuck somewhere between up and down haha !

Picklelily likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice