Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

10-Month-Old Chewing Everything - help please...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Steve E, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Steve E

Steve E PetForums Newbie

We recently adopted a 10-month-old crossbreed (Romanian Rescue). She chews stuff constantly. She immediately started chewing anything left around, especially her dog bed and the two dog beds that belong to our existing older dogs. She's more recently started to chew our skirting boards (actually pressing her teeth into the flat surface, not loose edges), and also our door frames are now fair game. We've supplied her with plenty of chew-toys - as much a variety as we could find. We also try to keep her occupied and give her plenty of walks. We've found that if she's left alone for any amount of time then she's chewing stuff she shouldn't be chewing. (Maybe we should reduce the chew-toys down to one specific toy?) She also plays by means of gentle playful biting which we're trying to discourage by stopping play when she does it. Any ideas or methods for training a dog not to chew stuff, apart from the dog-chews we've supplied...? Thank you.

2. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

We were given a bottle of bitter apple spray by our neighbours who used it when their dog was younger. I think you can buy it at Pets at home. We sprayed it along our skirting boards and chair legs. Luna doesn't like the taste and can be easily distracted onto another chew toy or with a game.

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Congratulations on rescuing your lovely dog. Once she settles I’m sure she will love (and respect) her wonderful new home and reward your efforts immensely.
    It sounds as though there’s an element of stress when she’s left. Perhaps break it down into baby steps. Leave her in a room on her own or go out of the house (as if you’re leaving) immediately come back with lots of praise or distract her with a better game if she’s chewing. Gradually increase the gaps. Patient persistence usually pays off. Very time consuming and can be frustrating but worthwhile.
    Getting to know her character will help with how to approach issues.
    It’s a whole new world for you all and will take time.
    Good luck

Torin. and Linda Weasel like this.
  4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

She’s chewing for a reason and although sprays etc may cure the symptoms it won’t get to the root cause, and you might get chewing replaced by other unwanted behaviours.

There is a period when the adult teeth start to settle in, similar to puppy teething. Maybe she’s going through this?
    Or she’s stressed, and many dogs find that chewing helps alleviate this feeling; a bit like a person biting their nails.

I had an alligator wood-chewer, and although I’m NOT recommending it to anybody else, I gave mine his own bits of leftover skirting, logs etc, to chew on. That was my call, I understood the risks and reasoned that if he was going to get splinters, choke or whatever then he’d do it anyway if he was tackling a chair leg.

Torin. likes this.
  5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I agree with Mum2Heidi it sounds like there is an element of separation anxiety involved.
    I would also suggest giving your dog a stuffed frozen kong to chew on, I also found getting a plaited rope toy and soaking it in low salt stock then freezing.
    We also give our dog an activity ball with kibble in when we go out which helps keep her occupied.

Finally with a bright dog at 10 months often walks aren't enough to exhaust them plus build a relaxed relationship with a rescue dog, try some clicker training of tricks.

There is a terrific thread on separation anxiety in the training forum.

Torin. likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice