Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

1 yr old Chihuahua - Addison's Disease - Please help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sweetiz, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:05 PM.

1. Sweetiz

Sweetiz PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone new here. I thought i'd join as I really need some help/advice/support. I got my first dog Evie last year she is my everything, helping me through depression and is such a lovely, beautiful companion. She has become family to me.

Evie is only 1 yrs old and on Sunday I noticed she wasn't feeling well and assumed it was just a tummy bug. So just kept an eye on her and such as you would. But Monday morning she collapsed and I rushed her to the vets and she has been diagnosed with Addison's Disease.

When she collapsed they told me they thought she might pass away so I crumbled, I still am very shaken. She was taken to a vet hospital for intensive care and is luckily back with us at home now. Only that my little Evie is not really herself.
    She is not eating hardly anything and won't play with her sister which is heartbreaking to see. She seems very, very depressed. I don't want to lose her, I am crying everyday as I feel so traumatised after the way she was.. seizuring and shaking. And she is just, not Evie right now.

I have tried to look up the disease and cannot really find much on it. Especially for a 1 yr old little chihuahua. It seems more common for poodle breeds and females aged 4-5 etc. But she is so young, so so small.. I am just so upset I keep waking up in the night to check if she is still alive... it's exhausting.

Does anyone know how long it might take for her to recover? I cannot relax for one minute I just keep worrying about her she's my world. I love her so so much.

IMG_E5257.JPG

IMG_E5762.JPG
    Sisters x​

#1 Sweetiz, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:05 PM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 10:32 PM
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

A quick google shows that dogs can live long and happy lives with the right treatment. Well done on identifying there was a problem, hopefully your vets are on top of this now and can get her back to normal.

Some photos would be lovely?

kimthecat and LinznMilly like this.
  3. Sweetiz

Sweetiz PetForums Newbie

UCMH0424.JPG

All that fur around her neck has been shaved off by the vet as well for some reason and she is also gone very, very skinny. :(

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

She is lovely. Hair grows back, and now you have a diagnosis you can start to move forwards.

5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

6. Sweetiz

Sweetiz PetForums Newbie

Hi thanks for looking for me, though i've seen those pages before. I was more looking to see if anyone else has/know anyone else that has a chi or other breed to have Addisons as it seems quite rare atleast that's what my vet said.

7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I had a chi X pom foster for a little while with Addisons. It was well controlled on daily meds. I didn't do much research as I didn't have the foster for very long, but I didn't get the impression it was as rare as your vet is implying? Recovery is rare though. It basically isn't really a thing, it's more management of the condition to get the symptoms under control with meds - if you stop the meds you'll get an acute symptom relapse.

LinznMilly and JoanneF like this.
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

A friend's standard poodle has Addisons, was diagnosed must be about 6 years ago now. She has regular medication and lives a healthy and happy life.

LinznMilly likes this.
  9. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I believe it’s more common in Miniature Pinschers, and it might be worth looking at the breed club website/ getting in touch, to see if they can give you some information on the disease.

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is relatively common in poodles. It is kind of the opposite to cushings which is more common in older dogs - in that not enough cortisol is produced, but it can be replaced rather than with cushings where too much cortisol is produced and has to be controlled with drugs. I take it your dog is now on steroids of some sort. You do not say what she is being treated with. If the vet is not being helpful then ask for a referral or see another vet. Once you are over this bad bit your dog should be fine with daily medication. The hair that has been removed from the neck was so the vet could put your dog on a drip, it just looks more dramatic with a long coated dog.

Torin. and LinznMilly like this.
  11. Sweetiz

Sweetiz PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replies. She’s started eating a little more today which I’m happy about.
    Yes she’s on prednisolone/prednidale tablets and has to have zycortal injection once a month.
    By recovery I just mean back to her old self but I guess everyday feels very long to me as I’m eager to see her well again. I know it’s probably still early days.

Blitz likes this.
  12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about little Evie She’s gorgeous and understandably, you’re very worried.
    Try to put on a brave face if you can. I expect Evie is very in tune with you and if she senses your stress, she will be anxious and that won’t help her.
    Liase closely with your vet. From what I gather getting the right dose of meds is key. Also if there is a change in her condition the dose could need adjusting. Acting quickly just like you did this time is key.
    Sending truckloads of healing positive vibes to you and Evie.

13. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Im sorry to hear this. What a little sweetheart Evie is. :Kiss

14. Sweetiz

Sweetiz PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your kind words xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice