Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

1 year old pug, having accidents in a new home

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Mattjlloyd, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Mattjlloyd

Mattjlloyd PetForums Newbie

I have recently adopted a 1 year old pug (1 week ago) - I was told that he was house trained but the last 2 nights he has done a poo during the night, and he did one during the day yesterday whilst he was alone.

Will it take him time to adapt to his new surroundings and can we put it down to that or maybe he just isn't fully house trained? How do I make him associate the garden with toilet time? I am taking him out at regular times into the garden, and don't give him attention until he does a poo or a wee and then giving him praise and treats, along with saying a cue word.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Yes, toilet training is all about remembering to take your dog out and rewarding them for doing wee's and poo's in the garden. However as you haven't had your young dog very long then i suspect this is as much about new surroundings and anxiety as anything else. His routine will be very different and he will take a while to settle.

Just ignore any accidents he has (or it can make him more anxious) and praise him when he gets it right. If he poo'd when you were out then either he forgot to go beforehand (didn't have a long enough walk) or he was a little stressed. I would keep an eye on that as he may have a little separation anxiety.

Give him time and hopefully he will settle.

J

Mattjlloyd likes this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

With any new dog, you need to know how long it takes for food to pass through the gut - it varies quite a lot between individuals and with the information you can time meals to avoid accidents. Put some diced carrot in one of his meals - you will still be able to see flecks of it when it comes out the other end. If his gut transit time is 12 hours (as an easy example), don't feed him at 3 pm as he'd need to poo it out at 3 am.

Torin. and JoanneF like this.
  4. zneve08

zneve08 PetForums Newbie

We used positive reinforcement with our puppy and it worked great. Every time she peed and pooped outside or on our fake grass mat on the balcony she was rewarded. Right after you feed your dog he will usually have to go to the toilet as well so making sure he is taken out at night after dinner may stop the night poos. When we were potty training Moxie we made sure to stick to a bladder plan. We did a bit of crate training that helped, but more for your pee problem make sure that he's getting enough time outside to pee and poo where you want him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice