Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

1 year old Jack Russell Cross Escape artists on walks

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by RoseyAlder, Aug 23, 2013.

1. RoseyAlder

RoseyAlder PetForums Newbie

I have a 1 year old Jack Russell cross called Jess, she is lovely and friendly and sometimes a little hyper. I taught her to walk when she was a puppy and she was good as gold. A little scared of stuff but she seemed fine. Now every time I get her on a walk she gets off her collar and starts running down the street. My mum is in a wheelchair and we would love some advice on how to walk her and what other collar we can use to get to stop pulling and so she slips off. I do not want her to be hit by a car, it literally terrifies me to the point that I have panic attacks. Please could you help in some advice. My mum can't even walk her because she pulls that much. Mum's in a wheelchair and when I am not at home I am at university and mum would love to take Jess out and about with her because Jess helps her do stuff around the house. Please help! We are literally at our wits end and do not else what to do. :(

Attached Files:

2. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I'd be likely to put her in a harness then if she's an escapologist. There are plenty on the market, it's just a case of finding one that suits her and you. You can even have them made to measure.

It would be more difficult to back out of a harness than a collar. You're right to be concerned though, it's also against the law to have out of control on a public highway. :eek:

3. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Hi as said above a harness would be good , also could your mum contact a local dog training club and see if she and her dog could join and learn together some obediance for her dog, as her dog is approaching "teenage yrs" where alot of dogs seem to go abit "haywire"

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

You could use a harness with a double ended lead so you could have one end clipped to the collar and the other to a harness for extra safety.

5. RoseyAlder

RoseyAlder PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your help. I am so glad that we don't live on a main road anymore. Both me and my mum are going to look again at the harness with the double ended lead. That should hopefully make it much more safer and less stressful. Her size is an issue because of her breed would you say go with a medium or a large because she is not a small jack russell because of her cross breed in her. She is a lovely dog and I love her to bits and I just want to take her for a walk.

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Most harnesses have a size guide showing what measurements you need to take so you order the correct size - or you could go into a pet shop and try some one. My boys have some size L and XL harnesses and are a fair bit bigger than even a large JRT so I would have thought you were looking at a small or medium TBH.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice