Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

1 yea old Cockapoo - aggression!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Cockapoo_Dexter, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Cockapoo_Dexter

Cockapoo_Dexter PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have a Cockapoo, Dexter, who will be turning 1 in a few weeks.

Up until 6 months, he was amazing - well behaved, well trained, polite with good manners, but then something changed, and he became very aggressive with other dogs, he showed signs of resource guarding, and ever since then I am unable to walk him off lead if we are with other dogs.

The above I have been able to manage and work on, but the past week, he has shown aggressive behaviour towards me! For example tonight, he was laying on the floor with a chew. I looked down at him, he instantly put his paw to cover the chew and his ears went back - I knew this was a sign of aggression, so I stood up and walked out into the kitchen, and he ran at me growling and went for my leg! My 16 year old daughter came through and told Dexter to go to bed (cage), which he did. He then proceeded to lay in his bed (cage)growling at me - but not my daughter.

After one hour, he calmed down and he came out. I took him for a walk, then as soon as we got back home, he took one look at me, and his ears went back again.......... Dexter is now back in his bed (cage)!

This is third time this week this has happened, and each time the aggression is directed at me only. The other night he was in his bed (cage) for 3 hours before he had calmed down and we could let him back out!

I had a behavioural person visit our home on Wednesday, who offered some techniques for the resource guarding, but the aggression he is showing towards me appears to be something deeper.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Cockapoo - or even any other breed?

To be honest, I am becoming frightened of Dexter which is not a good place to be :(

I work from home, so am with him all day, everyday. Dexter is not castrated, and I was advised not to do this until his behaviour improves because I could cause more aggression.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Sian

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

Without going into too much detail but not wanting to read and run....

Are you the only person who ever takes things away from him?

Obviously you're still giving him things to guard, so what techniques have you been given to deal with this.

The behaviour with other dogs may also be a form of resource guarding, but outside you have become the resource.

Cockers in particular can be serious resource guarders and I guess your dog has these traits.

#2 Linda Weasel, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    niamh123, Jamesgoeswalkies and O2.0 like this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

He should have a thorough vet check, too. If he's in pain and has somehow associated that with you (such as if you stepped on his paw), that could be a factor. He will be achieving social maturity at his age, and resource guarding is tho most likely issue, but other things should be ruled out.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

What did the 'behavioural person' say you should do? Did they assess the dog? They should have given you a strategy to work to. In my opinion, it's most likely that the behaviours are connected and that the behaviour has stemmed from resource guarding. I'd get back to your 'behavioural person' and have another talk to them.

It's worth having a Vet check as always but neutering won't help (as the behaviour is not related to his hormones) and if he is anxious it may make his insecurity worse.

J

Linda Weasel and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What techniques were you told to use on his resource guarding?

They might explain his response to you, perhaps?

In the meantime, give him total peace at meal times and with any chews in a room behind a baby gate where nobody will enter.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice