Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

1 week old Bullldogs how long should they feed?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Kaia Sargent, Feb 14, 2020 at 2:44 PM.

1. Kaia Sargent

Kaia Sargent PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have 3 1 week old bulldog puppys that feed every 2 hours, i was wondering however how long the duration of the feed should be? Half hour? 20 minutes?

Thanks in advance

2. mrs phas

mrs phas take a chill pill and reeelaaax

surely til they are full and naturally fall off the teat, however long that will be, is determined as to whether the puppy is a fast or slow feeder
    you cant say
    "ok thats 20 mins, youve had enough"
    take them off the mum and expect them to thrive

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Why are they feeding every two hours? Bitches will feed one week old puppies pretty continuously - on demand in fact. The pups eat and sleep on repeat. And in between mum generally cleans them and naps herself or pops out for a wee. Then she feeds them again.

Is mum not with the pups?

J

Magyarmum likes this.
  4. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Brits most of the time cannot be left alone with pups because they are well known for flopping g down or rolling over and crushing pups according to a friend of mine who shows them. I'm guessing the owner is letting the bitch be with the pups every two hours whilst being supervised so as to keep the pups safe. I would sit with the butch and pups and let them feed till they have stopped on their own then take the bitch away for two hours again and so on etc.

5. mrs phas

mrs phas take a chill pill and reeelaaax

wtf! Im obvs not a breeder
    but
    what a load of kangaroo poo :rolleyes::Hilarious
    do you really think that all good ethical bulldog breeders sit with their litters 24/7 until such time that mum stops feeding them? i know they sleep with them in the same room for 2-3 weeks, but really!
    let alone byb's
    This is why you have a good litter box with pig rails and dont breed overweight bitches that simply cannot care for themselves, let alone a litter
    what about Great Danes, Newfoundlands, Tibetan mastiffs, OES,, Neos, DDB, and every other big or hairy or hefty breed out there?
    do thier breeders do the same?

not everything you read on the internet is true and the above just proves it :Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

#5 mrs phas, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:18 PM
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 9:25 PM
    Sarah H likes this.
  6. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Mrs phase. Hmmm I'm going off what my friend who breeds to show them has told me they have to do allot of the time and no these are not overweight bitches either. Heck what a rude vile person you are with the way you replied. I have bred dogs for over 30 years and believe me pig rails don't always work if the pup is in the middle of the whelping box and you have a clumsy bitch who just flops down. Maybe you need to wind your neck in and think about the way you reply to people.

7. David C

David C PetForums Senior

And btw an ethical breeder will do whatever it takes to make sure those pups are safe 24/7

8. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

All large breeds have to be watched very carefully lest they roll on the pups in those early weeks until the pups can be heard and felt. It's why 24/7 observation and regular checking is paramount. The only time I remove pups from mum in the first two weeks is when no human is available to be on duty - which is vary rarely - in fact my experience is that most bitches find this quite stressful even if it is in their and their puppies best interests. When I put my young litter into the incubator to clean the whelping box I often find the bitch standing over them just watching and waiting for me to return them. At one week most good bitches are pretty much caring for their pups full time - keeping them warm, bringing them back when lost, cleaning them and yes, feeing them so I certainly wouldn't be advocating removal of pups as if mum is only there as a feeding machine. The role of the bitch is so much more than that and if someone doesn't have to time to keep an eye their bitch for the first weeks of the puppies lives then to be honest they should't really be breeding in my opinion.

J

Sarah H and niamh123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice