Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

<1 week old bottle kitten not gaining weight?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by rebecag, May 3, 2021.

1. rebecag

rebecag PetForums Newbie

I adopted an abandoned kitten whose mother had passed last Wednesday. When I took it to the vet, they told me she weighted about 100grams and maybe around 3 days (it still had the umbilical cord attached and all)

It eats well, poops and pees well, and seems fairly alert when awake, wiggling around and meowing and seeming pretty healthy in general, however, we weighted it last Saturday and it still weighed 100g. Today Monday) I weighted it again, 101g... As I've read that babies should be gaining 10g per day, I'm a little worried...
    It looks bigger than when we took it in and as I've said I feel like its behavior seems healthy, the only cause for concern so far was that since last night it has been looking very bloated, so today I've been diluting its formula more than I had so far. It fed well today again and also pooped nicely, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that it doesn't seem to be gaining any weight at all...

Can someone give me some tips on what I should do? It's my first time bottle-feeding a baby and I'm already very attached, so I'm really worried...

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Bottle babies often don't put on weight as quickly as those suckled by their mother, but not gaining at all isn't good.

What are you feeding, on what schedule, and does the kitten have a good suck? Even at this age a healthy kitten can more or less suck down a 2.5ml syringe with a miracle nipple. What colour is it's pee, and do you get poo every day?

You need to weigh in grams every day. Cheap electronic kitchen scales are fine.

3. rebecag

rebecag PetForums Newbie

I've been feeding it Royal Canin babycat milk formula, once every three hours, and it usually drinks easily 2.5ml, lately even a bit more. It has a good suck, usually the pee is transparent-ish with a yellow tint and we get poo almost every time we feed it too... I'm going to start weighing multiple times a day from now on, yeah.

4. Rachey

Rachey PetForums Junior

Good luck - let us know how the kitten gets on

rebecag likes this.
  5. OrientalSlave

You will drive yourself mad weighing several times a day. Once a day at about the same time is fine. As you are feeding it you can be sure to weigh after feeding & elimination. BTW toilet the kitten before & after each feed. The milk should be OK, I used Cimicat. Since it will suck, feed it as much as it will take - they do stop when full. Colour of pee sounds fine, and poo most times is OK.

And at this age, every 2 hours is better. I know the guide on the tin says feed 7 times a day, but other feeds give different guidlines, for example:

"Guide to feeding (using 5ml spoonfuls of prepared Cimicat) Age 1-3 days- Feed 1/2 spoonful every 2 hours Age 4-7 days- Feed 1/2- 1 spoonful 10-12 times daily Age 6-10 days- Feed 1- 1 1/2 spoonfuls 10 times daily Age 11-14 days- Feed 2- 2 1/2 spoonfuls every 3 hours Age 15-21 days- Feed 2 spoonfuls 8 times daily From 21 days up to 6 weeks- 2 1/2- 5 spoonfuls in addition to normal diet, 3-4 times daily."

(that would be better if they just use ml!)

I would make sure it is getting as much as it wants and offer a feed every 2 hours for a few days. It's draining. I also mix enough for up to a day in a glass tumbler and pop it in the fridge. It's easy to warm the milk in the syringe in another glass of warm water.

rebecag likes this.
  6. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Sounds as though you're doing very well; its no easy thing, hand rearing a kitten.

It may seem excessive but for a week I would weigh the kitten twice a day at exactly the same time every day. It's possible the vet had overestimated the kitten's weight and you just happened to have a low weight gain on that particular day.

There's a difference between a bloated tummy and a hand fed kitten with a fat tummy - a bloated tummy feeling hard and distended.

I probably can't worry you any more than you already are but a bloated tummy, in my experience, is something to be concerned about. If there isn't good feeding and weight gain over the next 24 hours I would let the vet take a look

OrientalSlave and rebecag like this.
  7. rebecag

rebecag PetForums Newbie

Oh, I can do this? The vet I saw the first day told me I had to mix it anew every feed and throw the leftovers away, so it always takes me a very long time to prepare, warm, feed... I've been getting no sleep (but it's worth it of course)

I will start feeding every 2 hours then, thank you so much for the tips.

Here's a photo of the little one with its surrogate mom - it really likes cuddling up to it

babey.jpg

BarneyBobCat and gskinner123 like this.
  8. rebecag

rebecag PetForums Newbie

Yeah, I will absolutely take it to a vet tomorrow if it hasn't gained any weight, I almost did earlier today but I also don't wanna stress it needlessly so I'm just keeping a very attentive eye for now.

gskinner123 likes this.
  9. OrientalSlave

I do that and I find mixing larger amounts easier to do - and easier to do accurately. But the syringe must be clean each time and you must keep it in the fridge. I think it helps especially with the night feeds.

Buying syringes by the 100 is far cheaper per syringe, although you end up with at least 2 boxes. I have a box of 2.5ml and one of 10ml syringes. However they can take time to come, for example 100 Terumo 2.5ml syringes from Amazon won't turn up for just over a week.

10. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

Royal Canin baby cat milk in my experience was a complete pain to mix, and was significantly easier to make up in larger quantities with a whisk. It will keep for 24 hours in the fridge. I used to store it in the bottle that came with the RC milk. I now use cimicat as it mixes easier as smells less like copydex.

I used a Tupperware with Milton tablet in it to store the syringe and nipples, would pop them in the boiled water to wash any off remaining Milton afterwards. This also prewarmed the syringe and nipple which quickened up the warming of the milk.

We did 2 hourly feeds (mine were on half feeds as Mum had milk was just very ill). It is so tiring , I do not think I have ever felt as tired as I did in the first week this litter were alive, I also used to work 24 hours straight -. If you can find someone to help you, so you can split the night feeds it’s easier.

How warm is the room you are in, a singleton without mum may be prone to get cold. Kitten will use up calories to keep war, rather than grow. The pet remedy warming blankets are really good (you can get them in P@H)

Good luck, you sound like you are doing an amazing job.

gskinner123 likes this.
  11. Carsonspride

Carsonspride PetForums Junior

At 3 days I would be feeding every hour for 24 hours. Also have on a heat pad. Thats what vet advised me to do with 2 day old Boston Terrier. By some miracle she is now 4 year old. I slept on the couch and set alarm for every hour. Bloody hard work but well worth it. Good luck.

12. rebecag

rebecag PetForums Newbie

Unfortunately I live in Portugal and at least so far Royal Canin is the only brand I've been able to find so far. I agree that it's a pain to mix, thank you for the tip, I will start making it in a larger quantity! The bright side is that it's already quite warm over here, and on top of that I keep a hot-water bottle on its nest that I refill every feed, so I've been making sure it can always be warm!

Also, I reweighed the baby and the scale told me it weighed 50g, and then I tried again and it told me it weighed -3g so I get the feeling that this thing is broken and made me extremely worried for no reason. I was very shocked that it wasn't gaining any weigh considering you can tell its quite bigger than what it was a few days ago and its been eating so well... I will go and buy a new scale tomorrow, hopefully my worry was for nothing and its actually as healthy as it seems :) Thank you everyone!!

13. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

Sounds like you need a bed set of scales,I would start with a completely new weight when you have the new scales.

I am sure it’s much warmer in Portugal than here in the U.K., where the wind is howling and it’s pouring with rain. Make sure there is space for kitten to wiggle of the hot water bottle if they are hot.

Please keep us updated, we are all rooting for him.

14. OrientalSlave

Be very, very careful with heat pads. Kittens can overheat all too easily. The best place is in your bra! The hot water bottle is good but should be warm not hot.

15. OrientalSlave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice