Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

£700 extra insurance to change cars!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by newfiesmum, Apr 28, 2017.

1. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I am still getting over the shock. I bought a new car (not new new but new to me) which I am collecting tomorrow. At present, I have a 1998 Honda Civic which cost me £280 a year ago and is insured with Lloyds. So I thought it would be easier to stay with the same insurance company, rather than fiddle about so I went to their website to get a quote for the new car. New car is an 08 plate, Peugeot 407, costing £2,295. The online quote told me £352, which is £100 less than the Honda (go figure, as our American friends would say).

But, as I'm already with them, I phoned up. Oh, yes, we can do that, she says. I pay monthly which at the moment is £43, so I was expecting £35 or thereabouts, but no. Future payments after 1st June will be £100 and something. I stopped listening then. Why? says I. A new quote is £352 for the year and you're telling me if I change cars as an established customer, I have to pay over £1000.

I was absolutely livid. I bank with Lloyds and have been with Lloyds car insurance for years, I have been driving for nearly fifty years and never had an accident that was my fault, but they are far more interested in new customers with no established record who might move elsewhere after a year.

Needless to say, I told her to cancel my current policy and I took myself off to moneysupermarket for a better option.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I'm with MoreThan - changed our car last month with about three months left on the insurance on the old one. It cost me £7 for the new car over those remaining months. Changed a 2007 VW for 2013 BMW - I was very pleased with the price

Satori likes this.
  3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Well, there's no need to gloat!!:D I found Swinton were the cheapest on all the comparison sites, so I went with then £32 a month. I am thoroughly disgusted that Lloyds have no respect for established customers. It's not like I've ever claimed anything!

westie~ma and lymorelynn like this.
  4. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

i always change my insurance if the current provider cant give me a better deal. i have never had a crash and have 6 years no claims with 10 years driving. so why do they think im going to be OK with them upping my price by 10 pounds a month for a second year. last year i was paying 31.79 a month for insurance, this year i changed to E sure and its 21.40 a month for 11 months.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

There doesn't seem to be any logic to it either. Last year, I swapped a 2 litre Renault scenic for a 1600 Litre Honda Civic and the insurance doubles from twenty something. Now they want me to pay another £70 a month for a nicer car. That wouldn't be so bad except the online quote for a new customer is £352 and a swap is over £1000. I really don't know how they think anyone is going to accept that.

Calvine likes this.
  6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Did they offer any explanation over the phone?
    Unfortunately it does not pay to be loyal, you have to be what Martin Lewis on MSE calls a 'rate tart' and be prepared to change providers yearly to get the best deals.

Lurcherlad and Calvine like this.
  7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

No. I asked 'why' several times, as I always do about everything and the poor girl had no answer for me. She just kept apologising but I did get her to waive the cancellation fee. I think she was as shocked as me.

8. Creativecat

Creativecat PetForums Senior

This is such a piss take on these insurers . I had a renault clio tht I was paying £550 a year in monthley instalments at abt £45 a month my clio then died and have various problems had to scrap and got a ford focus and paid £600 had my insurence re calculated by the co op
    Whome in with and told to transfer my details and they wanted £66 a month which I was shocked and they re calculated to £54 a month which is still horrendous . Iv been driving since 86 but I don't have much in no claims . But the car is only worth £600 . I think they pluck numbers out the air and don't want to try and get u a better quote tbh . It's so annoying and there cheekiness . It's all all about ripping the arse out of genuine poeple . It's obscene

Satori likes this.
  9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

What I really don't understand is that they are doing themselves no favours whatsoever. All that happens is that their regular, established customers, like me, bugger off somewhere else and they lose a good customer. Any other business is striving to hang on to their customers; tell Sky or Vodaphone you're leaving them and they stand on their heads to find you a deal. They don't seem to have any idea of how to run a business.

Anyway, I am going to collect my new car this morning and I am soooooo excited!:p I haven't had a nice car for eleven years, since I got Ferdie. Always, I bought something not only big enough to hold two Newfoundlands but also old enough so that it didn't matter what sort of state they made it in. That's not to say I'd not rather have my baby bears back, but as that cannot be, this is definitely the next best thing.:cool:

lymorelynn, Creativecat and Satori like this.
  10. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Please please let me join you with my frustrations. I decided to buy a second car, Golf 1.9TDi estate, so taking into account its hardly a boy racer car and i am 55 with 28 years no claims i rang Churchill for a multi quote. She told me £525 , i said "Thats not bad for both cars" she said "Oh no thats just for the Golf, you won't get any no claims for the second car you see, but we did give you extra discount" Anyway after the shock and trying to work out why the no claims don't work on both cars when i can only drive 1 at a time i told her to keep it and tried a few comparison sites who were still quoting silly money. I ended up ringing the Coop as my sister works for them, they sorted it for me for £260, couldn't give me no claims but gave me 40% discount because of my no claims, then 15% staff discount and £50 food vouchers. So it pays to also ring or try other companies that aren't on the comparison sites.

11. steveshanks

newfiesmum, what did you buy if you don't mind me asking.

12. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Yes, it all does seem to be a mickey take this year. Most premiums will increase on renewal this year and the official excuse is that the courts changed the discount rate for compensation claims. However, claims are substantially down in number so I am sure they are just profit taking.

One of mine came just came up for renewal. No change in circumstances but an extra years NCD from 4 to 5 should have brought it down a tad. It went up from £430 to £530 however, though in fairness still a good price. When I tried the comparison sites though my insurer, Churchill, was quoting £750 for new customers so I guess I can't complain. Funny how they all put their prices up at the same time though!

13. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I had the exact same with my new (old) car. Only a slightly bigger (by a litre) engine then the last one, and about two years newer. I was paying £26 a month and they wanted £69 a month for the new one. I thought I'd misheard them when they said that price. When I asked them how they justified more than doubling the cost for a similar vehicle, they just said "that is how they set their fees", aka they couldn't give me an answer. I had to pay a £55 cancellation fee and left immediately. That was RAC insurance.

14. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Peugeot 407 saloon, grey, 08 plate, gorgeous! I would have preferred an estate but the finance came with conditions, but I don't need an estate and I do love the 407.
    They are in the dark ages. It always used to be that you could only have no claims on one car at a time, but now there are lots that cover two cars. Anyway, Lloyds have lost out. I've been banking with them for years but I am so mad, I decided to change banks as well! I've been with them for about 12 years, I have regular money coming in every week, yet if a payment is a penny over what is in the account, they won't pay it. That annoys me. I've also got an account with Natwest which doesn't have regular money going in, yet they cash cheques for a hundred or so more than I've got. And I actually get a cheque book with them, which Lloyds won't let me have. So I'm trying Barclays for the regular pensions.

lymorelynn likes this.
  15. Creativecat

It's so annoying and discraceful .
    They must be flying close to the wind legally with there antics but again we the public bare the cost of the thousands that don't have any legal cover or moral compass. What did annoy me most was when I was with Zurich group a few years back
    I told them the price of another car I had the insurers quoted £800 and the car I paid for was a city metro which was £650 . And when I got the paperwork thru after I agreed and cancalled the policy only after one year they put down the value of the car at £950 . Wtf ! How dare they ask me wht I paid then put a price down more . From what I can only assume is the guide price . How ironic I had an accident not caused my me the bonnet was dented and wing curled slightly which they wrote off and paid me out £400 I said what the hell am I gonn get with that a Sinclair C5
    And waited 5 weeks to pay out what a ahambolic bullshitting company

16. steveshanks

I recently started a pension and at every point the company covered there asses because they were terrified of getting stung like the banks did with the PPI stuff, we have had the PPI scam dealt with, the the Sentinel, Pensions are scared they are next, lets hope car insurance is too.

Creativecat likes this.
  17. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

You are right...my son started with Virgin and was offered a much better ''deal'' as a NEW customer; I had been with them for about ten years. I rang and said could I have the same (as he had a bigger ''bundle'' (!!) than I had) and they said no. So I gave a month's notice, then they rang me back and offered me a better deal. The loyal customers are subsidising the newcomers. If they quoted online what it was going to cost you would not be interested, but by keeping the long-standing customers paying over the odds they can afford to entice newcomers with competitive rates. My neighbour had the same with British Telecom. .

lymorelynn and Creativecat like this.
  18. Creativecat

I wonder if any members are more insightful than me . Can you go in the bank and cancel direct debit agreements . I heared on watch dog a few yrs back you can as a new legislation came in and said you can quote that at the bank and when I went in and tried this I was told oh no you can't you need written permission from the company your dealing with . I was stunned and needed more clarification as I wasnt sure

19. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'm sure I can cancel direct debits on internet banking. I'm with First Direct.

Creativecat likes this.
  20. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Creativecat:I stopped my DD with EDF without consulting them. They didn't seem to care! Did the same with Sky some time ago and they didn't care either. I gave both a month's notice but certainly never received their written permission. What are they going to do if you are paid up to date? But I do recall when a car of mine was written off (which insurance co obviously knew about) they tried to keep on charging me, altho' I now had a new car insured with them. When I asked them why she said it's a contract like your mobile phone. No kidding, that's what she said. I pointed out to her that the car no longer even existed and that whenever I have sold a car I cancelled the insurance, never paid for two. She argued black was white but I just cancelled the DD and set up a new one for just one car. Think that was Direct Line (Direct BS, more like).
    When my cat died I cancelled his insurance. They must think we are a bit gormless.

#20 Calvine, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Creativecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice