Yorkie x Shih Tzu .. how to clip?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by the melster, Jan 19, 2013.

1. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

Our failed foster dog Biggles is breaking all the rules! I always insist on short coated dogs that do not need to have groomed for us but fluff ball is here non the less.

He is still fighting Demodex so his current clips are a bit random but I took him to the groomers to have his face trimmed and I don't like it. Biggles is coming through a lot but the one thing he always had going for him was he had a cute face .. hmmm.

Biggles before

[​IMG]

How would you have him clipped. Can I see your Yorkie clipped faces (his face is more yorkie) or any 'Shorkie' clips would be fab.

2. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

I think his head looks lovely in that pic. Personally I would keep it to that length

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

no pics here - but I think you probably want a puppy cut, roughly the same length of a couple of inches all over.

Lilly is a Maltese x shih tzu x terrier and I get her cut really short so I don't have to go very often so when she 1st has it I don't really like it :eek: But it's perfect 6 weeks later :D

I'll see if I can find any pics later - but I'm on a new laptop so can't promise.

4. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I have a yorkie and she is medium length. My Lhasa/poodle has a teddy bear cut that is a bit longer than the puppy cut. I think he looks nice as he is and I wouldn't go any shorter.

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Bruce is a shih tzu x yorkie and I trim him myself. I bought the Crufts trimmers from Argos (£37) and practised on him. I use a number 2 for his body and a number 3 for his head. He starts looking all tatty and fat if I let his fur grow too long so I trim him about four times a year.

Full coat - although it does get longer.
    [​IMG]

After a trim.
    [​IMG]

I have a thing about his fur getting too long because he gets tangles under his arm pits and legs which I hate. Their coat grows back very quickly so if you mess it up it doesn't look bad for long. He loves me trimming him and hated going to the groomer, so it's a win win situation.

Biggles looks lovely as he is though and doesn't look like he needs a trim at the mo. :)

6. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

Sammy is a Maltese x shihtzhu.....this was his first proper cut at the beginning of December

[​IMG]

This is him today just after a bath
    [​IMG]

His fur grows so fast. I'm taking him for another cut this week it's his face more than anything when the fur starts getting in his eyes.