UK Pet Forums Forum banner

would you buy a used cat tree?

6K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  koekemakranka 
#1 ·
The cat tree i'm looking to get is on ebay, and if I were to win it it'd cost me less than half the new price. It's used but in good condition, no posts need re-covering etc....I'm just a little worried it'd smell of other cats and upset my cats, in which case i'd rather just pay the extra for something that won't upset them!

So, have you, would you?

#5 ·
I wouldn't have a second hand one either, but that's purely down to 'snobbery' which isn't my nicest trait ;)

You can get really reasonable cat trees from Zooplus, and Zooplus also have their own shop on ebay, selling items that people have ordered, not used and returned for one reason or another. Sorry I can't remember the name of the Zooplus ebay shop, but hopefully someone else will know.

#6 ·
I wouldn't have a second hand one either, but that's purely down to 'snobbery' which isn't my nicest trait ;)

You can get really reasonable cat trees from Zooplus, and Zooplus also have their own shop on ebay, selling items that people have ordered, not used and returned for one reason or another. Sorry I can't remember the name of the Zooplus ebay shop, but hopefully someone else will know.
Hope so because I would like to know what it is.I have heard folks talk about it.

#7 ·
Hi,

Personally I wouldn't buy a second hand one or one from Zooplus even lol. Try http://wwww.kalven.co.uk ok so they are not cheap but it will last for years and years!

Izzie
why not? ive had loads from there and know of loads of people that have them? all really good trees?

#8 ·
The one i'm looking at is on zooplus...cheapish, but less than half the price on ebay.

That link won't work Izzie
Hi,
Kalven Cat Scratchers try that,I got a cheapish one from zooplus two years ago,it ended up costing me 1700 chf (£900) in vet bills when it collapsed with my Maine coon cat on it. He ended up with a badly broken leg and I wouldn't touch their scratching posts with a barge pole now.

Izzie

#9 ·
#11 ·
you know what would worry me........

ringworm!

those fungal spores can live up to 18 months on furnishings.... nope, I just wouldn't take the risk. Unless it was something a friend was giving to me and I knew it was coming out of a RW free cat home.

#12 ·
:p you used 4 w's instead of 3.... :p

but even when I remove a w .... I still can't open the site :frown:

can you check the addy please Izzie as I love to look at ncie cat trees :)
Oops lol, ok try this,its definitely working for me tonight Kalven Cat Scratchers there are some lovely ones on there,tbh they aren't that expensive compared to the zooplus crap!
they last longer thats for sure.
Izzie

#14 ·
Oops lol, ok try this,its definitely working for me tonight Kalven Cat Scratchers there are some lovely ones on there,tbh they aren't that expensive compared to the zooplus crap!
they last longer thats for sure.
Izzie
ohh yes.... ohhhh yessssss, this site is gonna keep me busy till bedtime:)

thank you Izzie :thumbsup:

and I do agree about quality cat trees... in the long run they work out cheaper than the cheaper ones

(which is why I have just booked my hotel to go to a cat show in Germany in April, hehe, so I can try and get another good quality one at a good price, my current one came from a show in Germany last summer)

#15 ·
you know what would worry me........

ringworm!

those fungal spores can live up to 18 months on furnishings.... nope, I just wouldn't take the risk. Unless it was something a friend was giving to me and I knew it was coming out of a RW free cat home.
Duh I didn't even think of that!!Right that's me decided thanks!

The ones on that site are rather lush Izzie....

#19 ·
That's good news Dougal, I'm waiting on delivery of a Russel Hardy tree! :thumbup:

I love the cat gym ones on the Kalven website too, they're next on the list!
Excellent choice Popoki. I am very impressed with the outdoor one we have for the cat run and will probably get another one for the run in the spring.

Please let us know what you think of the Russell Hardy tree, some pics would be good too :)

#21 ·
The ones from Ken (Kalven) are really good quality we have a couple of really old ones here that are still well used. You might also want to have a look at the catrix ones, (Cat Scratchers Catrix Cat Activity Centre & Scratching Post) you can start with a starter kit and add as you wish, the one we have is made up of a starter kit and extras and if a pole etc wears out you can just replace the part, though Ken now does a part replacement program too and his are sturdier but the Catrix are more inventive, we have both. In fact if you ever see the Catrix ones at a show on the Crystal Clear stall the photos on them showing how cats enjoy them are ours!!

#23 ·
I'd go for Kalven or those from catscratcher.com having had (and still have after many years use by big, heavy cats) scratchers from both companies.

I recently bought one from Zooplus and was very disappointed with the quality by comparison. As someone else said previously, what costs you more initially tends to work out cheaper in the long run.

#25 ·
If you want an outdoor one you simply cannot beat Cat Playstations for quailty and value for money, we have loads in our outside run and they are fantastic, really well built and not overly expensive for what they are. The Russell Hardy one we have is similar quality but a lot more expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.