Worth buying a bird table?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Donna3939, May 19, 2017.

1. Donna3939

Donna3939 PetForums Member

Hi everyone,

I have a bird feeding station with feeders containing sunflower hearts, seed mix, nyjer seeds, suet blocks, peanut butter (bird) holders, suet bits, fat balls and peanuts.

I'd also like to buy a table for the likes of blackbirds but was wondering if it'd be worth the purchase? The ground feeding birds tend to eat the scattered food on the floor anyway however there are cats in the area and I'd like to give them a safer option of feeding at a height.

My question to you is : if it were you, would you go to the expense of buying a separate table or do you think you'd have enough in place already?

Thanks.

2. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Personally I'd say that's enough. I've two bird feeding 'stations' and a hanging bird table off of one hook.
    Our blackbirds and sparrows love to feed son the ground, I did consider a ground feeder style dish but I thought it's no better than the food on the ground anyway. They make mess with the food so it goes everywhere.

We get lots of cats on the estate and only a small garden so I've made all the bird feeders in the middle of the garden, any cats trying to sneak up have no way of getting them. Plus the dog goes nuts if a cat comes in so they often feed with Mooky knowing it's safe.

Could you make a simple try style feeder? X