Worried she may be pregnant!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by coral., Apr 13, 2012.

1. coral.

coral. PetForums VIP

My OH has 2 staffordshire bull terrier one is a female Ruby shes 2 years old and Ziggy a male he is 22 weeks old who is nearly 6 months old.

i dont actually know a great deal about dogs,
    and the OH is out at the moment, but im worried sick she could be pregnant, this is her 2nd period, and shes been on it nearly 2 weeks!

and Ziggy keeps mating her with and his lip stick has started to come out!
    somebody has told my OH that they cant produce sperm till there about a year old! - well when he comes back i would like to ask him who told him that, cause ive just came of the phone to the vet and she said different!

So my OH really doesnt think Ziggy can get Ruby pregnant, well 3 days in a row shes been being sick - which ive put 2 and 2 together and thought morning sickness!!

well the OH just think she may ill!

they both also sleep in a crate together and there not being seperated - which the vet has said there gonna have to be seperated, which the puppy will have to stay in the crate, and Ruby may have to stay in our room.

We dont want to breed her and he is getting her done next month, and im worried sick cause we dont need any more staffys being bred cause theres to many at the moment.

the sickness thing the vets said to take her food away and starve her for 24 hours, and just feed her rice,

just wondering what do you guys think?

Thanks!

2. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Take her to a vet. If they've mated, there is a very high chance she is pregnant.

The vet can offer her a mismate jab, that's like the morning-after pill. It will stop her from getting pregnant, and it's not usually too expensive.

All the best, and let us know how it goes.

Edited to add: The sickness might not be anything to do with the mating. I'd mention that to the vet too. Are they both vaccinated?

Separate them as much as possible until you can get to the vets.

#2 EllesBelles, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

He won't produce sperm until a year old sounds like a woman can't get pregnant the first time she has sex - in other words, an old wives' tale.

You need to get this dog to the vet asap. He will give her a mismate if she is not too far gone, and/or spay her.

I realise these are not your dogs, but this is extremely irresponsible.

4. Callia

Callia PetForums Member

I would get to the vets asap with both dogs !!
    The little boy is old enough now to be neutered and although it obviously wont solve the immediate problem it will save any future issues. He will still be fertile for a few weeks though and will need to be kept completely seperate from your bitch until she is out of season again. Your bitch needs a mismate injection as soon as possible OR if you cannot keep them apart at all she needs to be booked in for a spay as soon as this season is over IMO.
    Trust me, the last thing you want is a litter of unregistered, bull breed pups from parents with no health tests to try and find homes for :( Nightmare !!

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Ask your vet about the mismate jab, the more modern one, Alizin, is apparently much safer than the old mismate, which had more related side effects. Alizin is also used to treat pyometra I believe, it's honestly the best course of action. If your bitch is pregnant, it's a risk to allow her to go through with it, and dogs can and do produce viable sperm from a young age, so she very well could be. I don't know where you got your two from, but there are a few health conditions associated with Staffy's, if you don't know the status of your dogs, you could inadvertently breed pups with one or more conditions, it's easy enough to google for on the internet if you look at breed clubs they usually have good information on there.

Sorry to sound negative, but it really is the best course of action for your girl imo :eek:

6. Bullymastiff

Bullymastiff PetForums Member

Agree with everyone above, get her to the vet asap so she dosnt become pregnant! and get one of them spayed/neutered asap aswell.

Regarding the sickness you can ask at the vet, but also my bitch is often sick 2-3 times when in season. I dont know why but she always is and often wont eat for a day or two either i blame the hormones.

It is totally irresponsible to be breeding staffords at the moment not to mention if they are not health tested, too young, not good examples, not registered, etc.

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If she has been into her season for nearly two weeks then shes probably about her fertile period.
    You get Pro estrus when you usually see a swelling of her lady parts and bloody discharge this goes on for about 9 days approx although can vary.
    Usually the male will be attracted but the female doesnt allow mating.

Next is Estrus when she will ovulate and is fertile this is also approx 9 days but can vary and be shorter of longer, Mostly when a dog is mated intentionally its between day 10 and 14. The female will usually flirt and accept the male and want to mate. So if you say she shes been on her season for nearly 2 weeks it all seems to fit.

When Males become sexually mature and fertile it can vary on breedm but probably if he is approaching 6 mths then he could very well be fertile too.

There is an injection called Alizin which you can give them for accidental matings with a risk of pregnancy, the sooner its done the better it is something you would have to speak to your vet about. Its like the morning after pill for dogs. However just because such a thing exists doesnt mean its safe to relax. Not only is if better medically for them if they can avoid the alizin, a maiden bitch and inexperienced stud can get seriously injured too doing the deed, especially as you have no experience either and dont know what to to if the situation did arise. So best method is to prevent them mating in the first place.

8. cherry

cherry PetForums Member

Please get the bitch to the vets so she can received the appropriate treatment and get the dogs spayed/ neutered as soon as you can. As somebody who helps with the "pound dogs" it is heartbreaking the amount of Staffies that are being PTS because there is nowhere for them to go. All these dogs were cute puppies once.

9. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Well done for asking the questions so early on.

These two dogs are actually mating? they should be separated - every time they are getting together, the risk of infection and damage to both dogs increases.

The sickness won't be anything to do with her being pregnant - but she almost certainly could be - I can only echo what the others have said - get her to a vets ASAP she needs a mismate jab and then for the two dogs to be separated until her season is over (some bitches stop bleeding as they move towards their most fertile period, but similarly, some bleed throughout) - at least another two weeks (so not assume because she has stopped bleeding that her season has finished).

As soon as she has finished her season, revisit the vet and push for the earliest possible spay date they can give.

ETA - her sickness could possibly be due to stress if she is being harrassed by the boy, or even potentially infection?

10. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Coral so sorry to hear you are having this extra stress at the moment :( - give your OH a kick up the bum from me ;) :p

I can't really give any advice as I don't have any knowledge but you have had some fantastic advice so I'd definately listen and seperate the dogs and get down the vets asap

11. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

On top of all the advice above it's also can be very dangerous to let them mate, he could do her some damage inside and if she panics when they are tied she could pull away and hurt him...... SEPARATE them now and get her to the vets.

12. coral.

coral. PetForums VIP

i know some days i feel like im gonna explode!
    told my OH about it yesterday, and managed to get her booked in earlier on today, great new shes not pregnant!
    were happy and relieved!
    and im completely over the moon, so glad i thought of this yesterday and not like in a few weeks time!

i think when ive seen him mating her he hasnt done it properly cant remember what the word is but dont think hes fully got inside her.

the sickness, the vet said to starve her for 24 hours and feed her rice, so we have done that, she was sick again this morning!
    and im just hoping shes not sick tomorrow else it will 5 days running!

Ruby now sleeps in our room at night, and Ziggy sleeps in the crate in the spareroom at night & we do that if during the day we both have to pop out together or at the same time, during the day were always watching them and making sure hes not trying to mate her lol.

yeah there both had there vaccinations, and the OH is gonna try and get her done asap!

13. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Um - I don't want to dampen your happiness, but this bitch is still in the middle of her season if I have read your posts correctly.

How exactly can your vet say she isn't pregnant?

When you intentionally mate a bitch - you wouldn't know she was pregnant until 4/5 weeks gone, and even then, you quite often wouldn't know without a scan which can only be done from around 28 days gestation.

If there is even an iota of a suspicion that these two dogs have got together - even if they haven't tied - then the ONLY way to ensure she can't get pregnant is the mis-mate injection and then neutering as soon as it is deemed safe by the vets.

If your vet is telling you she isn't pregnant - then he's either holding a closely guarded secret that could potentially make him a lot of money - or he's talking about of the opposite end to his mouth :(

14. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

If your boy hasn't yet developed an epididymis them he will not be capable of producing sperm. It's a kind of raised line on each of the testicles and many people worry when they first find it on their dog. Six months is quite young to be producing sperm and I know that my small boys Bruce and T-Bo didn't develop an epididymis until eight and nine months respectively.
    Since pregnancy in humans can be detected very early on by urine samples I wonder if it's possible for dogs to be tested this way also.

All the same I think I would ask for another vets opinion on this and also get your OH some decent dog books to read as he sounds absolutely clueless. Allowing the dogs to mate is taking unecessary risks of pregnancy and genital damage to both.

I'd get a second opinion, keep them apart and get her spayed in three months time as you can't spay her before that after a season. I wouldn't neuter the boy until he reaches maturity at around 18 months or at least until he is cocking his leg to pee, if done too early there is a school of thought that it can affect growth plates or even retain puppy behaviour. Once your girl is spayed you may decide not to neuter him at all. Read up on the pros and cons of neutering and don't just go by what your vet suggests - he has business interests at heart! ;)

This may help explain things a little clearer. I would get your boy examined by the vet, if he hasnt been already, to check for an epididymis as he won't know if your boy may be fertile without an exam. In a young dog fertile sperm may not yet be present: http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/data/coursematerial/bosu/CR-lecture7.pdf
    Quote - "The epididymides are the organs where sperm are stored before ejaculation. In addition, they slowly transport sperm to the ductus deferens. The length of the epididymis and the slow transport of sperm are important in allowing the sperm time to become mature."
    Llet's hope your boy doesn't have them yet!

#14 Malmum, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  15. Nagini

Nagini Guest

he can`t , vet is talking a load of piffle:rolleyes: fwiw i heard of a 4 month old pup siring a litter so it`s safe to assume she could possibly be pregnant:eek: if i were in this situation my bitch would be straight down the vets for the mismate jab.

16. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

do we know if the bitch has actually mated the bitch or has he just humped her?

17. noushka05

noushka05 Leftie Extremist/Eco-Warrior

a vet cant know shes not pregnant:eek: i would change your vet sharpish! and get her to another for the mismate.

please dont be responsible for bringing more staffies into the world, 9,000 dogs were destroyed last year, over a third of them were staffies or staffy crosses, the pounds are full to bursting with them, most are young dogs...infact few staffies are given the chance to see their 2nd birthday:(, so please dont play any part in this tragedy.

18. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

The 3 months is a "rule of thumb" - vets can and do neuter outside this three month window which is why I suggested "when the vet deems it safe to neuter".

To our knowledge. the vet has seemingly examined the bitch and said she isn't pregnant - if he is capable of doing that, then he clearly has a second sight, as without a scan frequently, experienced breeders and vets alike would seldom be able to confirm a bitch is in whelp at 4/5 weeks, never mind whilst the bitch is in season :(

If a dog and bitch have been known to mate and it's an unsuitable time or pairing, then the only responsible route is getting the mismate and keeping the dogs apart - irrespective of whether the boy is 5 months or 15 years old.

#18 swarthy, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  19. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Not sure if that was aimed at me (as I was quoted) - but I said the same thing ;)

20. Bullymastiff

Bullymastiff PetForums Member

Shocking that any vet would claim to know she was defiantely not pregnant at this stage!!! As others have said you would need a scan in a few weeks time to be sure and even that can give false results!

Get another vet, or in a few weeks you could find yourself with puppies.

No one can say if he or she is capable of producing pups but you have to be safe rather than sorry. you can chat all you like about if he can/cant but you dont want to find out the hard way.

What area are you perhaps someone could suggest a good vet?!