Worried about my Betta

Discussion in 'Tropical Aquarium Advice' started by 3dogs2cats, May 11, 2017.

1. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I am very concerned about a lump that has appeared on my lovely Betta I`m not entirely certain what it is I`m thinking fungus but everything I have ever read concerning that seems to indicate it effects fish living in poor conditions I don`t really think he is.
    He lives on his own in 65l, filtered and heated {27.5c) tank. natural decoration plants and bogwood nothing sharp at all. He is fed attison pro pellets and frozen blood worms, brine and mysis shrimp, Daphina and cyclops. He has approx. 30-40% water change every week, before the water goes in it is heated to the same as tank water and checked for PH, oh and treated with Prime of course. I test his water every week we always have zero ammonia and nitrites, PH 8, nitrates just below 20 - it comes out of tap at 20 but presume the plants take some.

I have had him for two years, he eats well is lively and very nosey, he does not seem ill at all but has developed this white lump I`ve tried to get a picture not the best and not even sure it will load but hopefully:
    20170510_222105[131] buddie.jpg
    He is actually has a silver body but looks dark here, the lump is similar colour to him.
    I have not treated him at all because I don`t want to do the wrong thing. Any ideas? if it is fungus what is the best way to treat him also what could have caused it?
    Any ideas advice gratefully accepted.

2. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

did U buy him as an adult? -- IOW, did he have his long flowing fins when he was purchased?
    After 2-years in Ur keeping, he's growing elderly, difficult as that idea is. :(
    Most Bettas are between 4 & 6-MO when they are shipped for retail sale; buyers want to see those lovely veil fins, not the shorties of a juvenile.
    My longest-lived Betta was just over 3 when he died; 2 to 5-years is the general range, with 2 to 3 being very common.
    The photo is very difficult to make out clearly, the lump doesn't resemble most fungal diseases i've seen, but there are so many potential hazards. // Does the shop where he was bought, have a hospital tank? -- If it's currently vacant, perhaps they'd take him temporarily & U could see if his skin improved. A few days to a week might make a big difference, & if they have knowledgeable staff, they might recognize that lump. :)

3dogs2cats likes this.
  3. leashedForLife

wow! - just found this, QUOTE
    "Walt Maurus reported in his book Bettas - A Complete Introduction that several male bettas kept in controlled laboratory conditions were over 10 years old & still going strong! Apparently these bettas were given large tanks of their own, & were exercised daily by lab students -- who chased them around with sticks."

http://www.bettysplendens.com/life-expectancy-in-bettas.html

3dogs2cats likes this.
  4. leashedForLife

I just re-read Ur original post. :( I realized that the tank is heated to over 80'F - that, plus the typical recommended 2 meals per day, will significantly shorten a Betta's lifespan. Even if it has nothing to do with the lump / injury / illness, the heat & any overfeeding will cause death at a younger age.
    My 3.5-YO male ate 1 meal / day & lived in a room-temp large bowl, with banana-plants & a few other live plants; i used a small mirror to agitate him a few times every day or 2, fed him live food at least 1 tidbit per day [to chase thru the water column - spice beetle grubs, blood worm, maggot...], & moved him side to side or up & down in the tank with a luring finger, along the side, or along the surface, to keep him moving.
    I didn't know that standard suggestions are feed twice daily - all my other fish were 1X / day, so i'm glad i continued that. It seems overfeeding & excess fatty tissue are big factors in early death. Glad i saw that! - my next Betta will profit by it. :)
    Have U checked on-line photos for fish diseases that might resemble that lump? // there are photo galleries of freshwater fish diseases.

3dogs2cats likes this.
  5. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Thank you for replying LeasedForLife, I would say he was a young adult when I bought him, Where I got him from was the only LFS I really trust sadly the owner has since sold up and I am not keen on new owner, I would not take him back there even if they would have him which they wouldn't anyway, sadly most of our LFS are more concerned with selling lots of chemicals which is what I want to avoid if they are not the correct ones. I`ve looked at many, many pictures I am undecided on what it could be, maybe a tumour, maybe fungal, at the moment he is perfectly happy, as active as ever but I`m worried I should be treating him then worried I am may things worse if I treat him for the wrong thing.

6. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I'm not an expert as I'm a newbie to indoor fish but from a groups I'm part of on FB it seems Betta can be prone to tumours, the only fish I had with fungus was one of my pond fish and he looked liked he had a chunk of cotton wool stuck to him but I know @ellenlouisepascoe know her stuff and hangs out on one of them so I will go give her a nudge to come look.

3dogs2cats and leashedForLife like this.
  7. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

I'd definitely agree it's a tumor which unfortunately as @MontyMaude said betta are prone too. As long as he's eating and swimming normally I wouldn't worry, no treatment will solve tumors. Just keep his water extra clean to stop any infections.

If it were fungal it would be fluffy like cotton wool

8. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Thank you MontyMaude and ellenlousiepascoe. If I`m honest I thought it may well be a tumour given that they are prone to them but never having seen one before I just wasn`t sure, I was hoping maybe it was something curable. At the moment he appears totally unaffected, still as active as ever and eating well. Hopefully he may continue in that state for a while longer.

leashedForLife and MontyMaude like this.
  9. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

From reading forums and Facebook and the like I think they can live happily for a good while with tumours, so fingers crossed for your little chap.

3dogs2cats and leashedForLife like this.