Wood for Shelving

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by RebeccaRose, Aug 19, 2016.

1. RebeccaRose

RebeccaRose PetForums Newbie

Hello,

This has probably been asked before but what kinds of wood does everyone use for their cage shelves/ledges? I'm having a real nightmare as this 'kiln dried white pine' that everyone speaks of doesn't seem to exist anywhere! All the kiln dried wood in places like b&q I'm being told is not pine.

Any suggests?

Also I'm told plywood is no good? Yet people seem to be using it to make houses that are being sold on ebay.

Thanks for any tips.

Rebecca

2. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

yes it needs to be kiln dried pine, i havent bought any in years but i got mine from b&q, look in the shelving wood section

plywood is not suitable as the glues used in the bonding process are toxic and chins by nature are chewers and will chew their shelves which could be fatal if they ingest the toxic glue in plywood

3. RebeccaRose

Thank you. I already asked in B&Q, Wickes etc and no-one has even heard of kiln dried white pine. It's been impossible to find any.

4. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

5. RebeccaRose

Thank you. Does this mean any kind of pine is fine as long as it's not been treated?

6. RebeccaRose

7. Millie Harris

Millie Harris Chinchillaloverxo

I bought my chinchilla his wooden ledges from pets at home.

8. huskymad33

huskymad33 PetForums Newbie

Hi this may be a bit of a silly question. i've been looking at cages for chinchilla online and a lot of them are very expensive for something not that big so what I'm wondering is would a large dog cage with metal tray work if I were to add shelves etc i'll have a look see if I can find what I mean and post a pic.

9. huskymad33

I'm thinking something like this but add shelves and hammock etc to it not sure if bars are too wide or not

Attached Files:

10. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums Senior

Looking at my dog cage, the bars would be way too wide. Underneath all that hair, chinchillas are small and agile. You often see second hand chinchilla cages for sale on Preloved. I used to buy my shelves from John Hopewell who makes cages, they are great quality. Google the name and you will find his site. There were some sellers on Ebay I used to buy shelves from too....but I cant remember their names

11. huskymad33

12. huskymad33

Thanks for getting back to me that's what I was wondering about I will just keep an eye on gutter etc. Thanks again