Why is my mainecoon ALWAYS licking me?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by princessjayne, Jul 28, 2010.

1. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

arent men funny like that, years ago my ex took my dog back home to my parents after i first got married because the dog quite rightly got more attention.
    have seen the errors of my ways since

2. memmarmite

memmarmite PetForums Member

My little moggie boy is a real licker. He also seeks out eskimo kisses at every available opportunity. He doesn't really have a favourite out of myself and my husband (though he does have a real fondness for grooming Dan's beard), he's just a very affectionate boy!

3. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

This must be a trait of the MC's as our Ozzy does this with Sue, , he really is a mommy's boy, one of his habits is to try to nibble my fingernails.

4. semiferal

semiferal PetForums Newbie

My little streetcat with zero MC blood is a licker. She was taken from the mother far too early, and had trouble developing her self-grooming skills. So whenever she started licking me, I tried to distract her back to grooming herself.

Slowly her self-grooming has gotten better, but she seems to lick - even strangers - for comfort and connection.

5. Bonnie82

Bonnie82 PetForums Senior

Monty is a licker too... and Dinah isn't! He always licks my hands, cheeks, forehead, sometimes my nose. :rolleyes: I don't mind him doing it unless he's just been eating fish. :eek:

6. Howlinbob

Howlinbob PetForums Member

Sounds familiar...my Maine Coon Monty does exactly the same. He reaches up and puts his paws around my neck, and starts licking and suckling (yuck!) on my chin and face, with his paws frantically kneading away. I have to hold on to his paws or I get clawmarks (how can I explain away lovebites from the cat???) He has done this ever since we got him at 14 weeks, and now at 18 months there's no let-up. I have also wondered if it's dominant behaviour, but it isn't. He's just showing affection and getting comfort. OH thinks it's a bit weird, he's even jokingly suggested that I get some kind of pervy kick out of it, haha! Just jealous.....:001_tt1:

7. Waterlily

Waterlily A floater in shit creek

Glad its normal cos cindy does it, I wasnt sure if it was to do with lack of salt lol.

8. catlover0581

catlover0581 PetForums VIP

first of all- you lucky thing to have a MC!! i think they are lovely :)

all my cats i've had in life have licked me lol. in fact i had a gorgeous boy called Oscar who would lick me when i asked for a 'kiss'.

at the moment i am typing one handed while holding my latest addition to the family, Tilly (6 weeks), and she is cleaning my hand so much it's starting to hurt a bit now!! lol

then there's Freddy (15 weeks) who will snuggle up with me tonight and give me a 'wash' before sleeping on my pillow - i think it's really cute, and if the OH gets jealous, he can always sleep somewhere else!! :D

9. Waterlily

aww Oscar sounds like my gypsy lol, if I tell her go give georgia, sarah whatever etc a kiss she goes and washes them a sec then wonders off lol. She's always mummied the other pets. :D

10. catlover0581

my mum always thought it was weird lol. he was 16 when he dies, and i can honestly say having him put to sleep was the hardest things i have ever done :(

Tilly is now cleaning my chest.....my god her tongue is rough lol

11. Waterlily

lol it feels gross aye, cindy goes for the armpit if she cant get my face and in this heat its really uncomfortable, so she gets her head pinned to stop her loving for a sec cos it tickles lol till she gets the hint to get out of it. :D

awaits the flaming for pinning her head lovingly :Yawn: :Yawn:

12. catlover0581

hahahaha - you won't be getting any flaming from me - i nearly trapped freddy's head in the fridge the other day - nosey boy nearly didn't have a nose!! lol :D

13. Waterlily

Lmfao, you do know its like cyber suicide here to admit we eff up :cool: :p :rolleyes: :D :D

14. catlover0581

are you kidding me?!

oh how i learnt my lesson when posting i had a 5 week old kitten- it wasn't my bloody fault!! i was duped!! lol

anyway - she's gorgeous and she's putting weight on. she's loved and she's MINE

and i am a hooman - so shoot me! lol xxx

15. Waterlily

Thats the only species thats allowed to be shot here :devil: ;)

16. catlover0581

i am actually LOL'ing!!!

got to go and do something housewifey - like hoovering, so i'll be back later :)

enjoy your day :) x