Why do people cross breed dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kayz, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clueless

clueless Banned

I read this, nothing about petshops just shelters. So are there more oodle crosses appearing in shelters in Australia.

This new legislation seeks to reduce the number of dogs in shelters (a very worthy aim) by banning the breeding of dogs except by recognised breeders. However, the only breeders the legislation currently recognises are those form the Royal NSW Canine Council, an organisation that admits only pedigree and showdog breeders.

2. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Thanks for those links,
    I enjoyed reading through them,this stands out for me,

But breeding dogs, especially across different breeds, is not simple. In Wally Conran's original efforts, not all labradoodles were low in allergy. And when it comes to trying to come up with new mixes, a lack of knowledge can produce disastrous results. For instance, breeding two dogs with similar genetic weaknesses can lead to the new litters born with an increased chance of the health problems associated with those breeds. Other factors include disposition. If people are expecting certain traits based on what decent breeders have produced, and they pay a lot of money for a dog that turns our to be completely different, those dogs may well end up being abandoned.

The International Labradoodle Association was set up originally to help maintain the quality and characteristics of this new designer dog. Yet they now are seeking to call all labrador-poodle crosses 'Australian labradoodles'. If this is successful, consumers will have no way of knowing whether they are buying what they think they are, and what their health requirements determine they need. The end result will be more abandoned dogs being euthanased because of a careless association and even more careless breeders.

3. Linny Buffy & Spike

Linny Buffy & Spike PetForums Member

Hi again Clueless

The petition is still running because I haven't taken it down yet :D

Seriously though, the proposed legislation has not been withdrawn: it's been shelved for the time being. That does not mean that it won't be reintroduced at a later date.

We want to make sure that any legislation that IS introduced will help eliminate puppy mills, and the sale of pups in pet shops. In that way it will cut down on the number of pups ending up in shelters, and not simply (as it is currently written) provide a rubber stamp to any breeder prepared to pay for AKC membership.

My apologies to all for drifting a little off topic :)

Best wishes,
    Linny

4. Linny Buffy & Spike

Hi Sallyanne,

I'm not sure where that anonymous blogger found their information, but neither IALA (the International Australian Labradoodle Association) nor the ALA (the Australian Labradoodle Association) are trying to have all Labradoodles called "Australian Labradoodles".

It is of course essential that breeding dogs be carefully selected and tested for any genetic problems, the same as with any other type of dog. For that reason, it's important to encourage new owners to choose a responsible breeder, and to avoid puppy mills and the pet shops that support them, regardless of whether they a looking for a purebred or a crossbred pup.

Best wishes,
    Linny

#104 Linny Buffy & Spike, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. clueless

clueless Banned

Okay Thanks for that. I take it you are from Australia. If so I heard a few Pet Insurers do not insure Crossbreeds now eg Petplan. Do you know if that is correct Thanks sorry for all the questions

6. Linny Buffy & Spike

Hi again Clueless,

No, there are thankfully very few Labradoodles turning up in shelters here yet. Unfortunately, as their popularity increases, and more puppy mills try to cash in, the number is bound to increase.

As I said, the proposed legislation was trying to reduce the number of dogs in shelters by getting rid of puppy mills, and stopping the sale of pups in pet shops, which is GREAT. The ban on Labradoodles and all other crossbreds was not intended: it was a consequence of the way in which the Private Member's Bill was written, and is one of the reasons it was rejected.

If you really are interested in the Bill, please PM me and I can refer you to some more information :)

Best wishes
    Linny

7. Linny Buffy & Spike

Hi again Clueless

I've only heard about Petplan. It's not just crossbreds, its purebreds too, unless they are registered with the Kennel Club.

As far as I'm aware, all the other pet insurance companies insure both crossbreds and purebreds, whether registered or not.

Best wishes,
    Linny

8. clueless

clueless Banned

Okay Thanks for info

9. caladohelena

caladohelena PetForums Newbie

Just a quick thought, isn’t a original breed a crossing from several breeds by someone ? if it is, why is now such a bad thing to do ?

I really don’t know why someone in our days will start doing that, but I really can’t also condemn. So I think it is the person, breeder and buyer, decision.

10. spoodlemum

spoodlemum PetForums Member

As I understand the situation with Petplan it is only the free breeder's scheme that is being discontinued in Australia. I know my pups came with 6 weeks insurance with Petplan and I have continued the insurance with them. They were quite happy to insure my cross breeds.

11. clueless

clueless Banned

Thanks I heard it awhile ago but was not sure. Are you in the UK as I believe they are still insuring

12. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

you've got me worried now about ;pet plan someone booked a crossbreed off me this morning and wanted insurence and i thought i would give them a petplan 1

13. spoodlemum

spoodlemum PetForums Member

Yes, I'm in the UK.

14. Dundee

Dundee Banned

No, developing a breed is very different than simply breeding crosses.

15. clueless

clueless Banned

UK one is okay

16. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

but it still involved crossing breeds...

17. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Not the same thing at all.....

18. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i didnt say it is :confused:

But fact is it still involved crossing breeds ...

19. Linny Buffy & Spike

Not the Petplan Preferred Breeders policy, even in the UK. That now only applies to KC registered purebreds. It no longer covers crossbreds or purebreds that aren't registered.

Best wishes,
    Linny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.