Which brand of cat food is best?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by JiJi87, Sep 6, 2008.

1. JiJi87

JiJi87 PetForums Newbie

I was given some suggestions in another thread for some good brands. The suggestions were:

Iams, James Wellbeloved, Natures Menu, Bozita, Hi-life, and Tesco Luxury/Premium.

Unfortunately, I didn't find any of these brands here, but I am 100% willing to buy from an online site as long as it means that my cat would be getting the best nutrition possible.

I found a site called Petco and it looks like a good site. The thing is, they only have Iams out of the list I wrote above. This is the list of brands they carry and I was hoping someone can help me chose the absolute best. I don't mind getting 2 or 3 different brands.

9 Lives, AvoDerm, Blue Buffalo, Breeder's Choice, Castor & Pollux, Eagle Pack, Eukanuba, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Goodlife Recipe, Halo, Hill's Science Diet, Iams, MAX, Meow Mix, Natural Balance, Natural Choice, Nature's Best, Nature's Recipe, Nutro, ONE, Organix, Pet Promise, Pinnacle, Pro Plan, Purina, Royal Canin, Selects, Sheba, Solid Gold, Spa Select, The Goodlife Recipe, Ultramix, Vita Gravy, Wellness, Whiskas, Wholesome Goodness

Also, has anyone used this site before? and does anyone have any good sites to suggest? I'm going to use my credit card so I want to know if it's a safe site. And if someone is going to recommend a site, I would prefer if it were based in America since I have a mail box there and that would make the shipping a lot easier.

Also, this might sound stupid, but would it be harmful to feed my cat a mix of different brands?

Thanks in advance.

2. Soupie

Soupie PetForums Senior

I think you should buy a variety and try them first? what suits some cats may not suit others.

For example mine are fed ad lib Royal Canin Sensible dry food, and then 3 meals of wet/raw food a day. The boys have Applaws most of the time, sometimes Bozita and they have cooked chicken or raw shin of beef for their plain meat.

Portia my rescue moggie will eat nothing but Felix!

BUT that diet might not suit yours!

There are lots of pet sites - PetPlanet, PetsatHome online and Zooplus are also good :)

3. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

I don't think JiJi87 lives in UK.

4. helz

helz PetForums VIP

Zooplus is a german bassed company, as they deliver to the UK, they may well deliver globally, so check them out.
    They sell most (if not all) of the brands you listed.

5. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

The ingredients are key. Anything with named meats and no "meat by products" is a good quality canned food. Looking at that site and it does have alot of really good stuff on there, the Avoderm one looks quite good.

6. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

mine like all different kinds.

7. firestormkitty

firestormkitty PetForums Senior

i here iams for sensitive stomachs is quite good i got mine on iams now:D

8. Sarnajes

Sarnajes PetForums Member

Try out everything and see what they like the best.

Mine have a wide variety of food as they all have different tastes but I now know the brands that they prefer.

9. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

I'm not sure which food you're referring to but I totally agree that wet food is best. Dry food is not an appropriate diet for cats due to its low moisture content and high carbohydrate level.

As you say, there is plenty of expert opinion to back this up.

10. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

Sorry, I meant to post this link - it really is worth checking it out for the best information on a correct diet for cats, especially if you've always believed that dry food is best. It is written by a vet.

Feeding Your Cat   Know the Basi