What would you want from an Animal First Aid Course?

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Zendog, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Zendog

Zendog PetForums Newbie

Jul 10, 2013
    I am a Vet Nurse who is currently writing a Animal First Aid Course aimed at Professionals working in the Animal Care Industry. The audience I have in mind are Dog walkers, Trainers and Pet Sitters.
    I am torn between presenting this course as a 2 hour evening event covering the rudiments of animal first aid and limited time to practice practical skills such as CPR and bandaging, ( which seems to be how the majority of courses are supplied) ~£15 mark
    or presenting it as a 5 hour presentation on a weekend day with lunch included covering Animal first aid comprehesively (hopefully to give the confidence of knowledge to deal in a real life first aid situation) and plenty of time to practice practical skills. ~£50 mark
    I would be grateful as my potential audience your thoughts on this or anything else regarding Animal First Aid course provision.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback :)
  2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Oct 19, 2011
    I hold the National Certificate in Canine First Aid which was an all day course with theory and practical (on real and stuffed dogs) including CPR, written test and Viva Voce, designed and delivered by vets.

I am very proud of this and I have refreshed my knowledge every two years.

We were provided with a CD Rom, Pocket FA Kit as well as a brilliant badge and certificate issued by the European Vet School.

It was not cheap but very good value for money.
  3. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Dec 8, 2011
    I did a 3/4 hour one, on a weekend, about £40 I think. My staff did an all day one on a Saturday which was just over £50 for nearly 7 hours, so wouldn't want to pay £50 for just five hours. They were dogs only.

I'd definitely want bandaging, as that's what I've used most over the last few years, but also recognising heat stroke has been useful and I saved a 12 week old puppy from choking recently. Scared the crap out of me, but I did it! If there were no practical sessions I wouldn't bother attending, although I can see the value for people just starting out who might not have very much money to at least get some basics.
  4. Puppy Love

Puppy Love PetForums Senior

Jan 10, 2008
    I have recently been looking into doing a Canine First Aid course. It seems to be around the £50 mark, running from 9.30/10am til about 4pm.