What makes someone rich in your opinion?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Historically labour has represented the working classes. Support the unions etc. Tax the wealthy. I meant it in that context. What the papers would have us think of as a labour supporter. One of those unfair generalisations. ;) 70k before tax isn't nearly high enough to be talking rich.

We're in the small business bracket rottiepointerhouse mentioned. We live in a small terrace, don't have a pension, haven't had a holiday in over 10 years and have a secondhand car. However, we don't have debts other than the mortgage and if our washing machine breaks we can replace it. Took us a while to get to that stage. I'd say we're comfortable, not rich. After comfortable, you've got the well off before you get as high as rich lol.

There's no sending money offshore and putting it into investments, or setting up in a tax haven to avoid taxes for us.

rottiepointerhouse and rona like this.
  2. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Rich............... money is the obvious perception but a man can be rich beyond any amount of cash if he has goodness in heart and kindness in his life

chissy 15, rona, DoodlesRule and 2 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Just
    Agree with this.

If £27,000 is the average UK wage for 2016/17, then earning double would hardly make somebody rich in those terms.

Finding money for anything but the bare essentials would be very hard.

Taxing so called luxury, non essential purchases seems fairer.

An average family car for example is say £15-£25,000 brand new. (Someone earning £27,000 would probably not be able to afford that :()

A top spec Range Rover could cost £100,000.

I don't know at what levels they are taxed, but the RR should be high IMO.

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell PetForums VIP

Well ... possibly.... but those aren't taxable.

rottiepointerhouse and Dr Pepper like this.
  5. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

As well noted in the film, "It's a Wonderful Life".

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  6. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

The context of the thread is money and taxes not hugs and kisses. :Kiss

7. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums Senior

Pass the bucket please :Vomit

rona and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  8. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

It's funny, "rich" is almost a dirty word. Nobody really likes to admit they're rich. They're always "comfortable" but never rich.

It's all perspective. Having money left in my bank account the day before payday would make me feel rich tbh :D

9. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I think you are right its all about perspective and what stage of life you are at. When we were younger and first married we had very little money, both lived off my wages as a student nurse for a few years while OH studied, we had sheets at the windows as we couldn't afford curtains, an upside down t chest for a coffee table and a couple of deck chairs but we were just as happy then as we are now with more material possessions. The possessions mean nothing, I would happily walk away from most of them (apart from my dogs and some of my books) and live in a caravan if we needed to because I know we were happy with nothing before.

Nettles, Satori and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Siskin

Siskin Home redistribution system

You are right there, I've used comfortable several times because that is exactly what we are, comfortable with the money we have coming in each month. However I do consider ourselves rich in comparison to what at we used to be when I had to count the pennies and root around the backs of chairs to pay the milk bill.

westie~ma, Nettles, rona and 3 others like this.
  11. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums Senior

I would think of rich as like millionaires and spending thousands on cars and boats (posh yacht things not little canal boats) If they can afford all that then they don't need to worry about cost of tax! It be like pocket money to them!

12. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Or sending a cheque in to pay a bill but not signing it so they had to send it back thus buying us a bit more time.

Lurcherlad and Siskin like this.
  13. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Well I am rich and proud of it I have just won £20 on the health lottery (no begging letters please):Smug

westie~ma, kimthecat, rona and 2 others like this.
  14. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

My BIL had his plane refurbished a few months ago and claimed he was so strapped for cash after doing that he would not be buying yet another new car for a few months. I don`t know what his idea of being rich is but I`m sure his idea of being poor is slightly different to a lot of people!

15. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

It's all relative really. A lot of people earn good wages but live well above their means. Whereas by contrast you can be on a low income and still be 'comfortable', as in pay the bills type comfortable. Problems start occurring when you have unexpected costs and you fall into the "just managing" category.....which can also be those earning high wages if they are living well above their means!

If you live in an expensive area, own your own home and have a big family to support, 70k isn't going to make you feel rich. Whereas if you were a single person/couple earning that and you lived within your means, I think you'd be very comfortable. A family member fits into that latter category, as a single person in that wage bracket, and lives very comfortably indeed; immaculate high spec house, multiple long holidays in exotic destinations every year, lot's disposable income.

I scrapped my old car recently and got £40 for it, which was exciting (shows how poor I am LOL!). I NEVER have cash so was thinking about what to buy with it. I ended up paying for a haircut, tinned dog food, and a few groceries. That is how exciting my life is......

16. DT

DT PetForums VIP

No I dont! But then it would depend on personal circumstances, where you live, family and often children from previous relationships.

17. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

My OH had a friend who was earning something ridiculous like £50-65 an hour, but he regularly had debt collectors after him, and now has a CCJ because he didn't open his post.
    So although he could go out and spend £2000 on cameras and lenses, he couldn't sleep from stress when things caught up with him.
    In comparison my OH does not earn earn anywhere near £50 an hour but sleeps well ;)....I think my point is, if the friend earned 70k he would still be poor, but if my OH earned 70k he would be rich.

18. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

True, but solely down to the fact the friend is a muppet! ;)

19. Siskin

Siskin Home redistribution system

I was bookkeeping for a small business that was supplying contact IT technicians to places like banks where they needed programmers to sort out their computer systems. A lot of them were on £1000 a day if not more and this was about eight years ago. I was astounded by the amounts of money I was putting through each month especially when I was on about £10 an hour:rolleyes:

20. rona

rona Missing my boy

Money comes to money they say :p

rottiepointerhouse and suewhite like this.