What is it about Felix cat food?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Scarlett20, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Scarlett20

Scarlett20 PetForums Senior

I try to keep it to an absolute minimum, but why is Felix the favourite cat food of so many cats?

I admit to always having an emergency box of Felix for the times when my 2 decide to have a 'picky food day'.

Is there another supermarket cat food which you class as 'macdonalds' which is better than Felix but just as tastey.

What about Sheba fine dining pouches or Sheba ocean collection pouches?

2. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Tell me about it :rolleyes:. My two always have one meal of Felix, then later on they get a tin of better food (eg. Grau, AC, Smilla). More often than not they'll pick a bit at it, then go on hunger strike until I mix a bit of Felix in with that too.

Over six months of trying to wean them off it and we're still nowhere near! Fussy little beggars.

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Mine love it too, especially the fish flavours!! They were both weaned onto Whiskas by their 'breeders', but Treacle now dislikes the flavour of the jelly in Whiskas (although they're enjoying the Oh So Meaty with beef in gravy!!).

Tried some Butcher's Classic today but Treacle didn't even say hello to it! :p

Don't know why, but Felix is the firm favourite of the jelly foods in this house!!! :rolleyes:

4. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Bob came to us as a Whiskas cat and has been through most brands, of all qualities, mostly licking off the gravy or jelly and not wanting the rest, so he went back to being a Whiskas cat. He also came to us being mad on Purina dry which he was easily weaned off as long as there was another dry available. If he gets his 6 kibbles with his wet he is OK otherwise he will shout and shout until he gets it.

Maisie, yes, another Felix cat. Also gone through many options and although she will sometimes eat Whiskas bite & chew for a change, she is hooked on Felix Meaty Loaf. Not only that, it has to be mashed to a pulp or she will lick it to death and leave the chunks.

5. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Is Felix cat food bad or something? Molly started off on Felix and then I bought her Whiskas wet food, but she wasn't a fan, so she's back onto Felix. Handy for me cus it's usually the only thing on special offer! Is it bad for cats though?

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It's not 'bad' so to speak, it's just not 'good' - there are other foods that are much better and cheaper - have a look at the stickies at the top of this section. A lot of us biuy our food from Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus where we get grau, bozita, amionda carny etc. All better quality foods than felix and whiskas and mainly cheaper.

7. Ali82

Ali82 PetForums Senior

Mine won't touch it. I always pick something junky to hide medications in, she loves Sheba and Whiskas but won't so much as touch Felix and Gourmet.

I guess there are a number of reasons why cats seem to particularly like these foods but primarily I suspect most of them contain digests and/or other attractants.

Rabbitmonkey- No Felix isn't bad for cats, it's a complete food that provides them with everything they need. There are better choices out there though, have a read of the feeding sticky at the top of this page for more information.

8. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

So what are the best (and cheapest) jelly and hard food for cats/kittens?

9. The Minkey

The Minkey PetForums Member

Check out the zooplus site, it gives the price per kilo for all of the cat foods they sell. Bozita seems a really good deal with a high percentage of real meat content. They list the ingredients too whereas Whiskers etc don't give anywhere near such a comprehensive breakdown.

10. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Thanks for the advice, but I was more just wondering what people's opinions on the best food is. There seems to be a lot of breeders on this, and they seem to know their stuff, so I was wondering what they all thought :)

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

IMHO - the very best food is a raw diet - the very worst is a dry diet. However, I know a lot of breeders that feed dry only. It's horses for courses. Some feed a good quality wet (bozita etc), or a better quality grain free dry (Acana, Orijen or Applaws), some feed raw (like Natural Instinct), and some a mixture. You have to do the research yourself really - read the stickies at the top and have a look through the old threads.

12. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Look! Look at all the f***s I don't give!

I use a better quality wet alongside raw, the cats are looking really good on it:)

13. Treaclesmum

To be honest, I wish that Felix didn't contain so many vegetable extracts, and it also seems to have fish included in every flavour, even the meat ones... :mellow:

Even Whiskas Oh So Meaty is better than that!!

14. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Is it bad for the food to contain vegetable extracts? Is it also bad they contain fish extracts?

15. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Cats are obligate carnivores - they can't digest vegetable protein as easily as meat nor grains either. Obligate means that they MUST eat meat. To fill their food with vegetables and grains is just adding stuff to their food that they don't find easy to digest and end up pooping most of it out the other end. Raw fed cats actually don't have smelly poos (hard as it is to believe, it is true). Companies that make pet food add these things to the food because it is cheaper than meat - the consumer thinks they are buying a good product and at a reasonable price but have to feed more of it than a better quality food because of the added extras that don't actually 'feed' your cat. For fish, fish isn't actually a food that cats would naturally eat but also they shouldn't eat lots of it (can't remember why - Hobbs might) so for it to be in every flavour of Felix is not good.

16. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Ohh dear. It sounds like Felix isn't a good cat food at all then!

I did notice that Molly's poos were less pungent when on Felix than when on Whiskas. Does that mean Whiskas is even less healthier than Felix? :skep:

17. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Not necessarily - both are of an ilk - but maybe Felix use something different to whiskas that is less pungent poo making - I don't feed either so can't go and check the packet - sorry.

18. Treaclesmum

I've actually found the opposite - my boys do very nice poos after a meal of Whiskas Oh So Meaty! But they will NOT touch the normal Whiskas, (which does smell very odd anyway!). Felix can give them smelly poos if they have too much in one day, so I try to limit it ;)

19. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

It was the Whiskas kitten stuff Molly was on at one point and the after-effects were HORRENDOUS!! She's on a mixture of half-a-pack-per-meal of Felix kitten grub and hard food, and she's not overly pungent anymore, but it can still be bad sometimes :skep:

20. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

I hate poo, just saying :)