What fish can i get

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Anastasia, May 17, 2017.

1. Anastasia

Anastasia PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    I have 24 gallons tank with 4 male guppies, 1 danio rerio (zebra fish), 5 neon tetras, 1 baby pleco and a few assasins snails.
    I know that my tank will be small for pleco once he grows up, therefore i am planning to get 60-70 gallons tank next year.
    at the moment my tank looks empty but i dont want to buy small fish any more.
    i was thinking about either gouramis, angelfish (but they are agressive), molly or someone else.
    What fish can i get in order to have peacefull tank mates for the fish i already have?

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts

What's the tank dimensions? 24gal long, or high?

My tank is roughly the same size as yours, in terms of volume, and personally, I'm looking at small fish, just to make the tank look massive. :D I appreciate that's not to everyone's taste, though.

Having small fish already, you don't want to be adding something too much bigger than the neons, because generally, fish will eat whatever fits j to their mouths. Not always, of course, but often. If it were me, and my water parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate allowed, I'd add a dwarf gourami. I'd also rehome the danio, because he'll be lonely without his own shoal.

What species is the plec? If it's a bristlenose, it won't get that big anyway.

3. Anastasia

The tank is 32inch long and 15inch high.
    I was thinking to add some danios because he seems to be lonely and bossy at the same time.

Dwarf gouramis are nice but i am not sure how many of them can i add. probably it depends on how fast they grow. if they will not become big in 1y then i can put a few in my 24gallon. but if they will grow fast then by the time i get a bigger tank the old one would be over crowded. do u know how quickly they grow and how many could i get?
    The plec i have is a common plec. So he will grow quite big :)

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi. If you want to keep the Danio then get several more as they are a shoaling species. The neon would also benefit from a few more friends. Angel fish are too large for your current aquarium. Normally when stocking a tank aim to get fish that swim at the top, mid and lower levels for interest.

I quite like kribensis as they are nice and colourful and if you get a pair (male and female) their behaviour is interesting t o watch. They can harass the other fish when they breed but as long as you provide shelter and space for the other fish to avoid them then all will Co exist peacefully.

Re the plec, I rescued one my neighbour had. I have a 4 foot long tank and after only two years it had reached 10 inches long. Not only was it long but it was also wide and a massive poop machine that crashed around the tank knocking over things, crashing into the glass and stirring up the sand. "Commons" can easily grown to 18 inches long and need a tank of a few hundred gallons to give them enough room.

I had to rehome mine in my local fish store to live in their giant species display tank.

5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts

I would do 1 Dwarf Gourami. 2 would be pushing it unless heavily planted. They don't get very big, anyway, max. Size is about 3-4".

6. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Agreed with previous posters - I'd be looking to rehome the plec, and either rehome the danio or get him some friends (you want at least 6 in total).

Two dwarf gouramis may fight, unless you can find a male and a female (most shops stock all males). If you want a group of gouramis, maybe look into honey gouramis - very peaceful and small :)

If you really want a plec, get a bristlenose or maybe a rubberlip. Corys are also grest bottom-dwellers - what they lack in colour, they more than make up for in personality :) Again, they should be in groups of 5-6+.

Do you know whether your water is hard or soft?

LinznMilly and kittih like this.
  7. Anastasia

I got 6 more danios :)
    i dont know if my water is hard or soft to be honest

8. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Your water company's website should give you an idea :)

#8 NaomiM, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. Anastasia

Would it be a bad idea to get a pair of ballon rams to my community tank?

10. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I personally wouldn't recommend "balloon" anything including rams as these are bred to have deformity with reduces the length of the body, in some cases by bending the spine. The organs are also compacted into a smaller body shape and can be compromised. These fish often have a short life span. I would recommend purchasing more ethically produced fish instead.

NaomiM and LinznMilly like this.