"What do you want from a dog?" Help please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKayz86, Mar 16, 2017.

1. McKayz86

McKayz86 PetForums Junior

While talking to one of the owners at Crufts she asked us to think about what we want from a dog. She thought it'd help narrow down on a breed.

But we are struggling a bit to answer it. We're worried our answers sound silly.

So our reasons for wanting a dog are for companionship and a friend for the kids to play with.
    We like doing longish walks at the weekend and sometimes during the day when they kids are at school but we'd also need a dog that would be ok with shorter walks sometimes.

We have 3 kids who are almost 10, 8 and 4. They're used to dogs as my Mum has 2 large dogs. They're at school full time. My husband is in the merchant navy so spends 8 weeks away at sea, because of that I'm a stay at home Mum/housewife so I'm always around except for school runs.

I'm quite interested by showing and my husband loves agility (he wants to train my mums leonberger ) but most important to us is a happy pet.

We like beagles, dalmatians, smooth collies, cocker spaniels and a few other breeds. I'm planning on researching all of them to see if we can narrow it down to one breed.

Thanks for reading all my waffling.

leashedForLife likes this.
  2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell PetForums VIP

Seems to me you are going to the right way about finding a dog. And your reasons aren't silly. Dogs make great companions.

leashedForLife and kamikaze like this.
  3. kamikaze

kamikaze PetForums Member

I would say smooth collie fits best from your list if you're really interested in agility but they're pretty high energy dogs so I'm not sure they'd be okay with shorter walks if it became frequent. Poodle came to mind, I've heard they're good with kids and I know lots that are in the agility FB group for my area. Beagles are very very stubborn, and I've just recently learned so are dalmations !

4. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

@Hanwombat obviously has a smooth Collie so will be able to give you more personal experience, but after watching one win the Vulnerable breeds class at Crufts & hearing the owner's summary of the breed, I'm really bewildered why they're not more popular. They sound like they have all the qualities people look for in a family pet.

Hanwombat, leashedForLife and Moobli like this.
  5. Animallover26

Animallover26 Human to a irresistible bundle of black fluff.

Your reasons don't sound silly :)

When I was looking for my boy the reason I always gave was for companionship, plus I wanted a dog I could do trick training with.

leashedForLife and bowwowwoof like this.
  6. Siskin

Siskin Home redistribution system

Golden retrievers would answer your needs, a good all round family dog, so long as you don't mind the shedding, it's easy to hoover up you just need to hoover more often:Smuggrin.
    They are able to cope with shorter walks for some of the time and really appreciate a long walk. They are easy to train, I did agility with my last golden which she enjoyed a lot and, of course, a good show dog if you look for ones from show breeders. The working bred golden can look different to a show golden, I compromised by getting a dual purpose bred golden, still looks like a golden retriever but capable of doing a days work and has the intelligence to go with it.
    My one caution is to make sure the breeder is also breeding for temperament as well as type, meet the breeders dogs and assess character and temperament.

7. McKayz86

That's where we learnt about smooth collies. We watched it win at crufts and then went to see them on Saturday at discover dogs.

Dogloverlou likes this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Consider too how the dog will fit into your lives.

What about holidays? Will they be kennelled or if taken along what about the times you can't take them in everywhere, such as Sea Life Centre, Monkey World, museums, etc?

Happy Paws and leashedForLife like this.
  9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Hannah's Bigby is lovely! Hope she can help answer some of your questions when she stops by :)

Hanwombat and Katalyst like this.
  10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Lovely reasoning why you want a dog..

Just always have in your head, that expectations may go a bit out of the window, life etc gets in the way, or what you expected of your dog s/he can't deliver. No fault, but life throws curve balls at many humans and can at dogs too!

However, there is always something in the dog ownership role which will make you realise, after so much thought and consideration, tears and tantrums ( it hits most of us) that owning a dog is truly a privilege and a complete joy.

Saying to a breeder you want a dog as part of the family, really is not a bad thing. You have already explained at weekends you can do things with the dog.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. McKayz86

The people on the Beagles stand at discover dogs said that it's a common myth that Beagles are stubborn. But it's something I've been thinking about.

12. McKayz86

Most of our holidays are either camping or in caravans so would probably take the dog with us.

For times we go to my in-laws we'd probably use the kennels that my mum uses.

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  13. McKayz86

And for long days out I'd see if my mum could pop over and let the dog out, walk etc. Which is what we do for them.

Or she has said our dog could go there providing all the dogs get along.

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  14. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Forward thinking like this is excellent! After threads here in the past, you will be surprised how many don't think like this!

Lurcherlad and McKayz86 like this.
  15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I suspect they aren't stubborn, just more intelligent than some owners! ;)

kamikaze likes this.
  16. McKayz86

Thank you. It's probably because my Mum has dogs that's made us think of these things.

kamikaze and lullabydream like this.
  17. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I think other things you may want to consider are what you are prepared to do Re grooming and also how biddable you want your dog to be.

Just looking at crufts cocker spaniels seem to excel at agility :)

18. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I'd think about grooming requirements and whether you want a dog that's got a "what's in it for me?" attitude or one that's more handler oriented. Do you want a dog that's likely to be reliable off lead? A happy go lucky friends with everyone sort of dog or one who's a bit more aloof?

leashedForLife likes this.
  19. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

That is quite a list of very different breeds.

Beagles are ruled by their nose and their tum and few are totally reliable off lead,

Dalmatians need lots of exercise as they were bred to run.

Cockers can be prone to resource guarding which may not be a great idea with small children.

I always ask people what the do NOT want in a dog! :)

ouesi and bowwowwoof like this.
  20. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

I think the problem with bagels is that they're just not very biddable. They're head strong and more than happy to make their own decisions (and entertainment) and require more in terms of exercise and training than most people are happy to spend time doing in reality. I say in reality because it's one thing to say that you are happy doing a minimum of X amount of exercise per day split across X number of walks, plus dedicate X amount of time for training and another ENTIRELY to actually do so day in, day out. It's easy to inadvertently kid yourself.

**EDIT**
    BEAGLES. Not bagels.
    I hear beagles are less easy to train but are considerably less delicious when toasted and spread with real butter......