What age can a cat get pregnant from?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by wantabully, May 27, 2009.

1. wantabully

wantabully PetForums Junior

Sorry, probably a stupid question but I've never had kittens..
    and how long is the gestation period?

Thanks.
    (gotabully).

2. Alansw8

Alansw8 PetForums Senior

They can get pregnant from 1st season which can be from 5-6 months and they carry for 9 weeks or up to 70 days.

Alan

3. wantabully

wantabully PetForums Junior

thanks for your prompt reply.
    gottabully.x

4. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

someone's cat on here got pregnant at 4.5months i think! so neuter asap if a female cat goes outside.

5. I'm currently fostering a very young queen at the moment, her kittens were born prematurely and 4 out of the 5 have died :(. We think it was her first season as she is only about 8months old max ( probably 7mo's). She is trying to be a good mum, but its all to soon for her. If her previous owners had had her speyed, then she would be fine and there wouldnt be 4 more kittens waiting at the bridge.

If you think your cat is pregnant at such a young age, then if possible get her speyed early on into the pregnancy. Its not a nice situation to be in, but it is for the best. My foster girl arrived with only about 2 weeks to go, and it was (in our rescues opinion) too late to spey.

There are some very real risks with a kitten becoming a mum :( please dont let another cat become a statistic.

6. gemmaleigh66

gemmaleigh66 PetForums Member

previous poster i dont think advising spaying early in the pregnancy is giving good advice have you seen the pictures of a cats womb thats been taken out with 3-4 kitten balls still in it? in other words advising abortion??
    cats can get pregnant from 5-6 mnths it is best to get spayed but if unfortunately kittens happen take your cat to the vet and seek advise from them they rarely would suggest this procedure!!!! :mad:

lizward likes this.
  7. gemma1983

gemma1983 PetForums Newbie

come into season from 6months and they are basically always on call. So they will have a litter and when the kittens turn 6weeks they can again fall pregnant. I would suggest having them spayed as soon as possible and not let them out untill they are. Despite what people thing a cat never missed not having kittens in her lifetime. And they are pregnant for 65day but that can go 2 days either way. So can give birth day 63 to day 67.

8. Yes many times......

You are entitled to your opinion, however i am also entitled to mine.

I see what happens to too young queens on a daily basis. I foster heavily pregnant cats and their resulting kittens for a local rescue, so i have a pretty good idea of what goes on and can see the bigger picture. Sometimes abortion is the better option imho.

With regards to a vet suggesting the procedure, the risks of a 5month old kitten going through a whole pregnancy and birth far outweigh the risks of a spey whilst in the early stages of pregnancy. I know most vets would reccomend a spey procedure in the cases of pregnant kittens. The risks increase significantly for the procedure the further the pregnancy progresses, which is why i end up breaking my heart over and over again when we lose mums and babies because of irresponsible ownership. I am currently fighting for the life of the remaining premature kitten from a 7/8mo mum - 3 kittens died due to prematurly developed lungs, the other had to be pts due to kidney and other organ failure, the final one has a severe heart murmur so his future is uncertain.... so yes - i do know what i am talking about thankyou!

Before you start the mad faces again, i will ask politely that you think about respect for others views. I disagree with yours however i respect that you are allowed your own opinion. I will however not accept being verbally abused on a forum from anyone.

9. gemma1983

gemma1983 PetForums Newbie

totally agree i foster and work in the cpl and see just what happens to poor cats on a daily basis. It's like letting your child have baby after baby after baby. Abortion is best for the cat and best for the kittens, we don't need more unwanted cats in the world, kittens are cute cats are kicked out...

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

From reading the other posts I would keep your cat inside until you can have her spayed or have a covered run for her to go outside in, that way you know that males can't get to her x