We rescued Snoopy the Jack-A-Bee or did he rescue us?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by John&Carol, Feb 16, 2017.

1. John&Carol

John&Carol & SNOOPY

Three months ago my wife and I found a beagle wandering the street by our home. No collar and dirty, we brought him home to care for him. When we took him to the vet for an examination, a microchip was found. We returned the beagle to the grateful owners who explained how he escaped and was so worried about him. Now we knew we had to find us a beagle to replace the empty place this dog left us with. This was the one that got away and the look on Carols face when he came home with us. Carol BTW is a breast cancer survivor and this the happiest I've seen her in a long time.

20161108_193343.jpg

I began searching online at local Humane Societies and found nothing we were interested in. I widened my search to 200 miles and started looking at rescue organizations. Bingo! A mixed breed of beagle and Jack Russel (Jack-A-Bee), 3-month old puppy already named “Snoopy” was rescued from an abused situation of being left starving in a cage in a backyard. His picture posted here was what made us drive two hours across country to get him. This was the skinny puppy waiting for us.

Snoppy's.jpg

Enters Snoopy. He took to eating and gained the weight he needed right away. His ribs were no longer showing and his health was soon verified by our vet a perfect. He is now equipped with his own microchip, and his own doctor. He took very well to crate training and puts himself in bed at night. Sometime he sleeps with us as a treat.
    Here he is after gaining weight and a couple of months later.

20170107_163901.jpg

Snoopy is being registered for a bunch of classes for training at our local Pet Smart. He is still being trained for potty training at home. He is 98% with doing his business outside but we still have to be aware and on top of his asking us.

Snoopy uses a (read my mind) way of asking to go potty. He will sit in front of you and stair you down. When you realize he is staring at you, he will look at the back door and then you know. I would rather he barks, knock on the door or turns the TV off or anything but it is what it is and we watch for it.
    We received a lot of help here on the subject and have used all your advice in his training. Thanks.

20170205_165559.jpg

Now he is a member of the family. His personality and energy matches our own. His favorite place in the universe (his happy place) is when he has 6 or more toys to arrange and place in his area, and when both my wife and I are home sitting together. He will then sit between us with his body spread with both his front and hind legs on top of our laps as if he is preventing us from leaving. But this is not before he kisses us both and places one of his favorite toys on top of my head. What is with that? Does anyone have a dog that puts his or her toy on your head?

Carol and John

20161212_105439.jpg

Resized_20161218_201107.jpeg

Good night Snoopy, we love you.

ameliajane and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What a lovely story! A very lucky boy is Snoopy :)

They bring such joy :)

My rescue lurcher had similarly subtle signs for letting me know he needed to go out at first. Fortunately, aged around 3 when I rehomed him he was pretty much fully house trained so we only had a couple of "misses"!

He has become a bit easier to read - when he needs to go out he stands looking at the door and gives a little whine! ;)

3. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

He sure has made himself at home

4. John&Carol

John&Carol & SNOOPY

[​IMG]

Snoop caught himself a cow today. Always on alert such as now he is watching our video monitor of the front yard. He will verify by comparing the video to the window and sound the bark alarm.