We had to part way with our Dog.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Adam Irwin, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Adam Irwin

Adam Irwin PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone.
    Please excuse me as I'm new to the site, I need some advice because I'm going out of my mind with guilt and worry, my family and I have had a dog for nearly 10 years since he was a puppy, he's a Jack Russel and his name was Lewey, he's the dog in my profile picture, a few weeks ago for the first time ever he decided to bite our neighbour on the leg, (she had to go to hospital) my wife and I have a 5 year old child and my sister has 2 children and a new one coming and my wife and I also have a new one on the way, and as the dog Lewey did this we all felt it was right to put the dog in a home (batersea dog home) because now he has bitten we feel it's a risk with the children and new baby's etc, we considered training for him but I have 3 brothers and we all have different methods of taking him out for a walk so the problem was getting everyone to cooperate with he same method of training, the thing that is worrying me is his future is uncertain now we are not sure if they will rehouse him or just put him down , I feel overwhelming guilt and wanted to know the effect it's having on the dog? Do you think he feels sad? It was heartbreaking to give him up, if he does get rehoused will he cope? Will he remember us?

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Of course he feels sad. I am sorry, but I cannot understand doing that to a dog of that age. He has bitten someone, even though you know him inside out you do not feel it is safe to keep him so you put him into rescue where, in all honesty, they cannot pass him on to a family home. Sad as it is you should have done the responsible thing and put your much loved dog to sleep so he did not suffer. If he does get another home quickly I am sure he will adapt but every day he is in the kennel will be misery for him. We take on our dogs for life and if the time comes when we cannot keep the dog and he is not easily suitable for rehoming we should end his life. I know others disagree but I feel very strongly about this. A dog has no concept of death, it is very aware of sitting in a kennel for weeks or months.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

He will obviously be sad in kennels, but who knows he might be lucky and get re-homed to an adult only, knowledgeable home quickly. I truly hope so.

I do wonder though if there have been many signs over the years that this behaviour was a possibility and they have been missed. Some relevant training may well have sorted this issue to a manageable level :(

Katalyst, DT, simplysardonic and 8 others like this.
  4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

You haven't given us much information to go on. You say he "decided" to bite your neighbour on the leg but what were the circumstances? Has he ever given the slightest indication of being a danger to your children in the 10 years you have owned him? Did you make Battersea fully aware of the bite and the reason you were giving him up? Of course your dog will be distressed being in a huge kennel of barking dogs away from everything he has ever known, but then you must have all been aware of that when you made the decision surely? Not sure what you are hoping from on here.

Katalyst, Moobli, Bob Ford and 12 others like this.
  5. Sweety

Sweety PetForums VIP

It seems to me that he's been a lovely family pet for ten years and, the first time he does something wrong, you abandon him.

Poor old boy. Ten years old and he's been dumped.

Did he ever show aggression towards your children?

Moobli, Bob Ford, DT and 13 others like this.
  6. Elaine2016

Elaine2016 PetForums Senior

I don’t understand what ‘advice’ you require… If you came on here before you re homed Lewey you have had got some great advice but sadly you felt it ‘best’ to put him in Battersea kennels L how very sad for Lewey… After 10years living in a family environment, he is thrown into kennels full of barking dogs, no home comforts and his chance of being rehomed very slim with a bite history and being 10yrs old…. Yes im sure he is miserable and confused, im sure the effects are detrimental to poor Lewey but you felt this was ‘best’ and this is a decision you have to live with.

I don’t understand how you and 3 brothers have different methods of taking a dog for a walk?? And if he is your dog I don’t understand why they have an input either, why do they even have to walk him? Could you not get a dog walker if you relied on them to help? So as then their ‘methods’ wont confuse the dog…. poor excuse IMO

Maybe im wrong but it feels like you just couldn’t be bothered with him anymore, talking about children and a new baby coming the dog is now classified as hassle and off he is shipped to recuse kennels.

He should have been PTS if he was so dangerous he was going to attack children and new born babies

What were the circumstances surrounding the bite with the neighbour? He just got loose and went for them? Or was your neighbour in your house? Did he show any signs of distress or anxiousness, has he bitten before this one incident?

No offence it wasn’t that heart breaking considering you didn’t even try... you didn’t try and manage him or help train him or get a behaviourist in to help you.

PS Sorry if this post is cheeky but it has just really made me angry of how selfish people are.

7. Mirandashell

Mirandashell PetForums VIP

OP, if you were hoping to get validation of your decision then I'm afraid you came to the wrong place. Lewey has very little chance of being rehomed cos Battersea is full of old dogs and few people will take them on. And as a community of pet owners we are usually on the side of the dog.

I'm not sure how you all taking him out in a 'different' way really relates. Do you know why he bit your neighbour? There's usually some signs beforehand cos a bite is a big step for a dog to take. They don't do it lightly. Especially not after 10 years in family.

As for Lewey, well.... the decision is made so unfortunately you have to live with it.

8. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Poor dog. Please don't get another one, ever. :(

Babyshoes, DT, simplysardonic and 8 others like this.
  9. RatTerrier

RatTerrier PetForums Newbie

I'm not a muzzle advocate, but need a muzzle for my guy just for vet visits. I'm wondering if a muzzle when your dog is out would be preferable to death or rescue center (likely death for such an old dog with the label "biter")? Given that he's not bitten before, and probably has 6 years or more to live, could you take him back and educate your family to be a little more wary than before? Jack Russells and all feists will not put up with crap. Even my sweet little guy has nipped me when I roughly pulled him out of a fight with another dog, and the vet when she was too rough with him. Respect, education for all parties , and sensible precautions could give your family many more years of companionship with the dog.

Hope to hear an update from you.

10. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Have you taken him to see a vet, if it's out of character there could be a under lying problem why he's acting like this.

11. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I would assume he is PTS before even being evaluated for possible rehoming if you were honest about him biting. Very, very sad, all around. At his age a number of medical issues could have been responsible for his out of character behaviour and you owed it to him to investigate fully. A 10 year old dog really doesn't belong in rescue :(

12. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts

I'm sitting here, reading and rereading the opening post, and struggling to know how to respond.

Lewey is older than your child and apparently, hasn't shown any signs of biting him/her, but, because he bit your neighbour on the leg, you jump to the conclusion that he's a risk to your child, your unborn baby, and your nieces and nephews and it's off to Battersea for him. No vet check, no looking into the circumstances surrounding/leading up to the bite, no attempt at training and/or getting a behaviourist in, no work whatsoever ... just "quick, let's away to Battersea".

You took the coward's way out. I'm sorry if that sounds blunt, but you did. You palmed him off to Battersea, so that if it's decided that he cannot be rehomed, it isn't you that had him put to sleep.

The sad fact is, even if, in the end, you were faced with the option of rehome, or PTS, you could have done a lot more before reaching that point.

If you wanted validation for your decision to rehome your dog, you've chosen the wrong forum to sign up to. Perhaps mumsnet would be a better choice.

13. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Sorry for all the negative responses you have got here on the forum......

BUT

you won't get a positive one from me either.... you know your dog and this is out of character for him....he has never done it before.....firstly you haven't given any indication as to why he bit your neighbour just that he did..... you didn't think to take him to the vets to check to see if it was a reaction to some illness.... you couldn't be bothered to set up a training routine with your brothers (sorry just sounds like you couldn't be bothered) .....he was your dog its your responsibility.

You palm him off to a rescue centre that will feel obliged to take him but will in the end probably look at finance of keeping him for a long period....after all who would want to have a dog that bites (which he has now been labelled) over the cost of PTS......

Sorry but I think you saw him as a hassle that needed to be gotten rid off and used the excuse of children being in danger of him biting them to solve a problem you didn't want to ...or didn't have the time to face.

By the way I've looked on the Battersea website and there is no Lewey other in the rehoming section.....not sure how long it takes fro them to do an assessment but it says a lot about his future as far as I am concerned

14. Elaine2016

[QUOTE="jamat, post: 1064837219, member: 1425424"

By the way I've looked on the Battersea website and there is no Lewey other in the rehoming section.....not sure how long it takes fro them to do an assessment but it says a lot about his future as far as I am concerned[/QUOTE]

I had a look aswell and could not see him either :( I saw a 'Gus' who was similar,

I do believe the poor thing was probably PTS, probably for the best rather than being in kennels for god knows how long.

15. LinznMilly

Or, it could be a wind-up. It is the Easter hols, after all. :Muted:Troll

Calvine likes this.
  16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Put to sleep surrounded by strangers and a load of dogs yapping instead of being with someone he knew and loved and trusted. There's thanks for ten years of loyalty. I hope this is a wind-up.:(

#16 Calvine, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Happy Paws and LinznMilly like this.
  17. Elaine2016

I really hope so!! it was such a selfish post

Happy Paws and LinznMilly like this.
  18. Sweety

Sweety PetForums VIP

Sadly, I don't think it is.

I was very involved in Jack Russell Rescue for years and I've heard even more pathetic reasons for dumping an old dog.

It's not that unusual.

19. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Strange comment? I have a brother but even if he lived within walking distance, he would only be called upon to be involved with my cats if I was stuck and couldn't get back in time to feed them.

20. LinznMilly

I'm not saying the excuse is made up, and/or a wind-up, but the whole idea of signing up to a dog forum, posting that, and then leaving, smacks a bit of "lighting the fuse, standing well back, and watching the fireworks".

I could be wrong. In fact, at first, the thought that this could be a troll, didn't even enter my head, hence my first post on the thread.

Maybe the dog will materialise on Battersea's website. Maybe he's already been PTS. Maybe, if he exists at all, he's snoozing away on the sofa, blissfully unaware that he's the discussion of a dog forum thread.

Calvine likes this.