water movement

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by LouLatch, Jun 18, 2017 at 3:35 PM.

1. LouLatch

LouLatch PetForums VIP

Sorry me again! :D

I'm sure u are sick of my questions by now.

Is this enough agitation to keep the tank oxygenated or do I need an air stone as well? I need to order a pump but if this is enough I will save myself some money.

The pics aren't great sorry! The water is moving more than the pics show.

This is an expensive hobby!

Also god news the ammonia issue has been sorted if you saw my last post.

20170618_090331.jpg 20170618_090347.jpg

LinznMilly likes this.
  2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

What kind of filter is it? Is that a spray bar, it's hard to tell from the photo? :) I find that having a spray bar under the water but pointed up at the surface creates a good amount of agitation.

LouLatch and LinznMilly like this.
  3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts

You're not the first newbie to think that, you won't be the last. Experienced fishkeepers were newbies once too, and we asked exactly the same sort of questions. We understand that to beginners, it is a steep learning curve, and sometimes we need someone to take our hand and guide us through it.

IOW, if we didn't want to help/answer questions, we wouldn't. ;)

Good news about the ammonia. :) Do you have fish yet?

As to the question, could you remind us of the tank specs? As @magpie said, it's hard to tell from that pic, if the filter is a HOB (Hang On Back) filter, or if that is a spraybar attached to an internal or external.

LouLatch likes this.
  4. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Airstones/pumps don't do much IMO. As magpie says, placing the spraybar underwater pointing up will increase the amount of movement it causes. Your plants will also help with oxygenation :)

Some fish don't like too much surface movement, while others thrive on high oxygenation and currents. So please remind me which fish you are planning on getting? As a general rule, though, so long as you don't overstock or turn the temperature up too high, you shouldn't need to worry too much about oxygen levels.

LouLatch likes this.
  5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Air pumps don't really oxygenate the water at least not from the bubbles. Each bubble is only in the water column for a second or two not enough time for gas exchange. Gas exchange occurs at the water surface which is why wide long shallow tanks have better gas exchange than narrow short deep tanks. Oxygen rich water right at the surface is moved to be replaced by less oxygen rich water. You can use the output of a pump, filter or movements of water bubbles rising to cause the water movement in the tank water column, it doesn't matter.

Plants produce excess oxygen during the day as a product of photosynthesis but when the lights are turned off they will be using oxygen like the fish do. It is therefore best not to rely on plants as a major source of oxygen.

As long as the tank isn't over populated a circulation of water within the tank together with sufficient tank surface area will be fine.

Agitating the water surface does increase the surface area but increasing the water current to cause this may not be appreciated by some fish (though others may love it).

LouLatch likes this.
  6. LouLatch

LouLatch PetForums VIP

The filter is a built in one that sits above the water it has holes in it for the water to flow out. It's not a spray bar and is not possible to move it.

I don't have fish yet today is day 4 ammonia free so I'm hoping to get fish next week.

I did want platy and guppy but after seeing that platy produce a lot of waste on a fb post I'm thinking just guppy may be a better option. I'm not sure what's best to do. I do want to make sure I'm under stocked though. I have high nitrates in my tap water so want to be careful how I stock the tank. That's another reason I got lots of plants.

I saw on a youtube video that it's not the bubbles that oxygenate the water but the movement they create that's why I was unsure if I really needed one.

Thanks for all the detailed replies I really don't want to get this wrong for the fish.

7. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

I wasn't aware that platys are particularly high waste producers; are you sure you don't mean plecos? With any livebearers, though, be sure to get all males if you don't want lots of babies :)

My tapwater also has very high nitrates. It's not an issue for most fish so long as you keep up with the water changes. The exceptions are those that inhabit fast-flowing streams in the wild, such as hillstream loaches.

Floating plants are particularly good for both nitrate removal and oxygenation; my favourites are dwarf water lettuce :)

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Both guppies and platies are livebearers and if you get any females they will be almost certainly pregnant whether or not you keep males too as they can store sperm for a few months. If you do get females consider possible offspring in your stocking calculations.

9. LouLatch

LouLatch PetForums VIP

No not plecos, a lot of people were saying platy produce a lot of waste. Although I know plecos do too.

I was going to order some floating plants they seem to be highly recommend.

I was planning on males only as I don't want fry. :)

kittih likes this.
  10. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

I have five platy's and three fry. I wouldn't say they produce lots of waste, but obviously they are "bigger" fish as such so there is an increase due to that.

Though having white sand as the substrate does make it more visible!

kittih and LouLatch like this.