Warning re applaws dry food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Clare Ferris, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Clare Ferris

Clare Ferris PetForums Member

I have just came across this link from another breeder whos cats have been seriously ill from feeding applaws dry cat/kitten food. I used to feed this briefly but stopped as one of my cats got diarrhoea that would not clear and another urinary problems when on it. This was a while ago and I am hopeing to god that it was nothing to do with the contamination of this food mentioned in the link below. Please check out the link and pass the info on;

Applaws Dry Cat Food - Mycotoxins and Melamine found in Applaws dry cat food - please be aware if you are feeding this to your cats.

It is truely shocking from a food that is meant to be a good natural diet!:mad:

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Thats very worrying :( I bought a box of kitten pouches for Louie but he would'nt eat it none of the fussy lot did either, I glad they didnt now, wont be buying it again.

Thanks for the info Clare :)

3. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

I have had a problem with applaws dry. my persian had awful diahorrea with blood in it. He is fine now ive switched back to royal canin.

4. Clare Ferris

I think it is only relating to the dry food to be honest so I think you will be fine.:) So much for a healthy good quality dry, a big marketing hook with regards high animal protein, seems they have been including Melamine to increase protein content...very worrying and how mycotoxins got into a food that is supposed to be cereal free is strange... Ill be sticking with the well known big companies that have alot of research behind their foods.

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

PHEW :) Louie has the RC kitten food & the so do the fussy gang at the mo, waiting for the pet shop to get some more Purley in they love that :D

6. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

No dry biscuit can be considered a good natural diet :)

7. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

god I just found this write up too and was coming on here to post it!! very worrying indeed! I was feeding this to my cats when they were kittens and had found the same thing with the loose stools and sicking it up! we couldnt work out why and so swapped them to orijen and it stopped! how worrying that it could have been something wrong with the food...I wonder if the dog food was affected!!?? :(

even the so-called good foods are not really at all safe...that's one of the reasons i ended up making the decision to feed them all a raw diet. at least i know what i am buying and feeding them now.

8. Daisyandchlo

Daisyandchlo PetForums Member

Finding melamine in the food alone is very worrying. If it's been added to cereals at some point, it needs tracking down to the source. I hope Trading Standards can get to the bottom of this.
    Does anyone know if Applaws food is made in their own manufacturing facility, or is it asigned to one that makes various brands? I was thinking, if it's one that makes various brands, then perhaps that's how the contamination happened.

9. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Umm, I hate to tell you Clare, but sticking with well known big companies isnt that safe either, some of the biggest petfood companies were found to have included melamine in their foods a couple of years ago...Melamine Pet Food Recall of 2007 Menu Foods supplied many of the larger brand makers, including Iams, Eukanuba etc.

10. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

I was shocked at this too, as I have recently changed my cats over to Applaws thinking I was doing the best thing for them. I know their tinned chicken comes from Thailand and that worried me a bit because I think there have been food scandals to do with Thai chickens in the past and I also wondered about how they could ensure the welfare standards they boast about on their website. I know the melamine issue is with their dry food but it doesn't give you much faith in any of their products does it. They haven't bothered replying to an email I sent a while ago asking about welfare, which is also not very impressive when this is one of their selling points.

11. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Thats dreadful for the people envolved. I was planning on changing the dry food I use to Applaws but I don't think I will now! I had considered Orijen as well but I gather that there has been problems with that as well. Raw food is not an option and not all of my cats actually like wet food anyway. Not sure what to use now.

Is there any of the companies that don't use cereal in their dry food that hasn't had a scandal of this type?

12. Tiggertots

Tiggertots PetForums Senior

Oh no! I've just noticed this post and have been feeding my cats applaws dry small bags (200g) as an alternative to just wet food alone for the past week! Can this cause any damage? What would be the best dry to use?

13. ccarriee

ccarriee PetForums Junior

Bloody hell! My cats are now on a completely raw diet but I did feed them Applaws dry in the past. Bettie suffered from irritable bowel as a young kitten and this appears to have stunted her growth. For the first couple of months, I was feeding Hills dry because the breeder gave me several bags, but then I stumbled upon raw feeding articles and decided to ween them off. However, my free Hills ran out during the weening process so I bought a bag of Applaws.

I don't think that her irritable bowel was caused by Applaws but rather dry food in general, since Hills was just as bad, although it does make me wonder. She seems to be okay now because the raw has sorted her immediate problems out, but I hate to think that mycotoxins and/or melamine may have been present and caused permanent damage. What really scares me is that there's no way of knowing. Obviously I'm aware that kibble is extremely unhealthy but I was likening it to the human equivalent of junk food, not poison...though you could argue there's not much difference when eaten exclusively!

14. katiefranke

I know this is what worries me too!! mine are on completely raw now too, but we fed them applaws for a good 6 months and they had bad tums and vomiting throughout...their symptoms stopped as soon as they were off it and they seem in good health some 6 months on now from stopping it, but it does make you worry that some permanent damage could have been done :(

15. Clare Ferris

Hi
    I am sorry for worrying everyone but I know alot of people on here use it so I had to post it. From what I read on link the problems where seen immediately and resulted in vomiting, diarrhoea, heart problems and death in a couple of cats. I am not sure if all the food was affected so if you fed it months ago and your cats are seemingly fine now then I would try not to worry. I dont know wheter a blood test would help i.e help reveal any organ damage if anyone is still worried. Maybe speak to your vets about a full blood panel to look at internal organs including liver and kidneys.:(

16. Kalipha

Kalipha PetForums Member

The problems with Orijen were specific to the importing processes to Australia (basically irradiating all food products that enter the country, which did horrible things to Orijen making it toxic and killing a lot of cats). There have been no issues anywhere else, including the UK. I feed this stuff and find it wonderful. Do not panic :)

17. katiefranke

18. Thetruth1234

Thetruth1234 PetForums Newbie

The Truth Applaws Dry Food :

Some 12 months ago we received a complaint from a customer with regards to sickness in her cat which she believed resulted from the feeding of our dried product.
    The customer informed us that she had made the complaint to Trading Standards who would be investigating the complaint. Trading Standards (Animal Health) are responsible for collation of complaints against all animal related businesses, this information is collated using a national database called Consumer Direct. To date Trading Standards have only received 1 complaint.
    Trading standards engaged the Public Analyst to carry out tests on our product and concluded that; nothing could be found in our food that was not permitted by Feeding Stuffs legislation. If our company was in breach of such legislation then they would have prosecuted us for that breach.
    We take our product quality very seriously and alongside the tests carried out by Trading Standards both the manufacturing facility and ourselves carried out independent analysis on the product and in each case returned the same result as Trading Standards.
    The manufacturer of Applaws dry food is approved by the British Retail Consortium, Global Standard for Food Safety, which is used by certification bodies world-wide and is recognised as the benchmark for best practice in the manufacturing and retail supply chain of our pet food. It assures quality by implementing the most rigorous testing at every stage together with total traceability of every raw material and finished batch.
    Our products are well received and being fed to thousands of cats both in the UK and in Europe and have been so since its launch 12 months ago. We have many testimonials from cat owners who report significant benefits to their animals as a result of feeding our dried food.
    Here is an extract from a letter sent to us from the RSPCA:"Having now used Applaws Natural Complete cat food for the past six months I thought I would let you know how it has been received by the cats in our cattery.Having used Applaws wet food in the cattery; we knew the cats flourished when we fed it, so we were hoping to get the same result with the dried food. I have to say that we were not disappointed, 99% of the cats eat the dried biscuits with gusto. The emaciated cats gain weight at a steady rate, the condition of their coats seems to improve and the cats are contented with the food."
    We have been very patient with this customer's persistent negative commentary. However we feel the only course of action left open to us is to instruct our solicitors to begin libel proceedings.
    If you require further information please email
    customerservices@mpmproducts.co.uk
    Assuring you of our best attention at all times

19. maisey moo 12

maisey moo 12 PetForums Junior

Its not just that cat food that makes cats sick its other's has well.

20. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I have fed my cats applaws wet and dry for months now with no problems at all.