Waiting lists

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by luvmydogs, Feb 18, 2012.

1. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Dunno why I bother - I get people begging to go on my list and then when it comes near the time for puppies they say they couldn't wait and have bought another breed. :mad::

2. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

Sadly some folk will go on a waiting list for anyone who has a puppy and if the puppy doesn't come quick enough they will go for any puppy regardless of breed. :(

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Yes but most people who contact me have done research first - remember mine is such a rare breed not many people know about them. But it seems sometimes impatience gets the better of them :(

4. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t want someone who is impatient buying a dog from me anyway, at least they've done you a favour and pointed themselves out for you :)

5. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Does that mean you have a potential puppy going spare? :D

I'd whack my name down if I had the money and room for a fourth...!

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Well thats what I'm telling myself. But I'm now wondering whether I should just tell people to watch the website (it would help if I updated it mind!) :eek: and get back in touch when I have a litter on the ground. :glare:

7. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

LOL not sure how many are in there yet ;)

8. Calinyx

Calinyx PetForums VIP

I've just looked at your website, what beautiful dogs you have.

I suppose we've just been really lucky when we've been looking for a new pet rough collie. All of ours have just been through word of mouth bar Kenzie our new pup. The first two were 'not right' in the breeders eyes for breeding/showing but we only have ever wanted pets.

I'd never have thought to put my name on a waiting list. Just shows how ignorant i am..:001_rolleyes:

9. claire & the gang

claire & the gang PetForums Senior

With yours being such an uncommon breed you would think that the people who go on your list would be less likely to go astray. It highly unlikely they will find another pup of that breed elsewhere:confused:

I understand in more common breeds people sometimes add themselves to several waiting lists then take a pup who comes along. I have a waiting list for my pups but I fully expect once they arrive & I ring around half will no longer be interested.

10. missP

missP PetForums Senior

must be frustrating!!

do you know when the pups are due.

11. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

i am on the waiting list for a certain breeder and she contacted me to say she will have pups ready in may born march but the timings not right and i want alfie to be a little calmer when a puppy arrives so i had to turn her down very nicely and ask to be delayed on the list, i still want hers just not right now. i know i will die when i see the little bundles of blue fluff though!

i hope it isnt rude, she did say she will keep in touch as will i to her.

12. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Idiots. Ive been waiting about a year already on a waiting list for an AKK and if there isnt a pup in the litter suitable we will wait longer, im a believer in whats meant to be willl be!

13. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Yes, they are due at the end of this month. Just (finally) updated my website (a little bit lol) :D

14. claire & the gang

claire & the gang PetForums Senior

I just had a nose...that pic of Apple as a pup is gorgeous..what a beautiful girl:D

15. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I have been looking into ES since we spoke briefly a while back about breeds. I would love one & they seem perfect for us, unfortunately we are full herefor the forseeable future!

If you are still breeding in 10+ years you may well hear from us :lol:

16. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

It happens all the time in more common breeds - but I am surprised with your breed with, as you say, it being so rare :(

You often get people on here (often people who don't breed) saying, "good breeders don't need to advertise" - this is rubbish - even when you have a waiting list, mother nature still has to oblige on colour and gender (and numbers of course).

As soon as I decide I am going ahead with a planned mating, the details are on my website. The minute the litter is confirmed by scan, it's on my Champdogs page, and once I register the pups, it's also on the KC puppy sales register which is free for ABS members.

I've learnt not to take waiting lists for granted. This time, my wl feels solid - now whether this is me trying to kid myself because of the economic climate, or because I know that when I've tried to find well bred chocolate pups for people, I have struggled I don't know - time will tell I guess.

More of my pups are potentially going locally this time which is very unusual.

People do decide they can't wait - and I respect that - what irritates me is when they don't tell you :(

On my last litter I had someone spent HOURS begging me for a pup - but she wanted to show - and I don't feel ready at this point to sell my pups as potential show-pups - she hounded me into the ground almost :(

There was a very nice chocolate bitch in the litter and OH was adamant at that point I wasn't keeping another choc, so I let her know she was welcome to come and visit - guess what

Her husband bought her a chocolate pup as a surprise and it wasn't even KC registered :( (so of course, not showable)

Why would it be rude? it's honest

I was on a breeders waiting list for my second - the breeder rang me to say she had a litter on the ground and would I like to go and have a look - I explained the circumstances weren't right for me at that time, and that also, I really wanted a bitch.

I went to have a look anyway and to meet her girl she had just mated - the puppies were adorable and very successful - the time simply wasn't right for me - some 4.5 months later, I became the proud owner of one of her little yellow girls and 2.5 years later, became the proud owner of one of her chocolate dog puppies (who will now hopefully be the daddy of my chocolate puppies :D)

17. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Yes I've been surprised. I think I'll still probably have enough but I just wish people would let me know when their circumstances change, so I can update the list.

18. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

When going on a waiting list for a custom made car you pay a significant deposit as sign of good faith.

If money is changing hands for the pup in question at the end of the day why not take a deposit to accept a place on the waiting list, this shows commitment on the part of the buyer and will filter out the dreamers. You will be putting an after-sales contract in place anyway so get them used to the idea.

19. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Totally agree with this - on my last litter I turned about 30 people away - at the time, there were plenty of well bred pups on the ground so it was easy to redirect people - that time, I didn't even bother using the KC puppy register - but at 4 weeks, I had just three pups accounted for (including mine) - it was a scary time - the situation changed very quickly once I used the KC register (which I appreciate you can't do :( ) - and my black boy went through a chance conversation with my old boss who just happened to have started looking for a black dog pup to join them :D

They were all sold by 6 weeks - but yes, it was a little scary for a while.

20. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Yes I turned people away when I had Dora's litter - mainly because the vet said there were 5 or 6 and there were 10 - and I was starting to worry at about 5 weeks. However I had sold them all by 7 weeks and of course as soon as they'd all gone I had people enquiring for pups lol.
    I'm really not worried at this point with this litter, I just don't know whether bothering with waiting lists is worth it.
    Deposits are a difficult one. With my first ES litter, I took deposits before they were born. With the second, I took deposits once they were born. With the third I took no deposits. This time I'm not sure what to do - I don't want someone taking a pup of mine then selling it on because I tied them to a deposit. :glare: