Vet's Prescription Charges

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ianthi, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Just wondering about how much your vets charge for the above?

I've noticed antibiotics for instance are significantly cheaper if bought online, more especially so with larger amounts!

Thanks in advance!

2. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Not a clue, didn't want to read and run though! I'm always scared of buying any medication online incase it isn't fully what I'm told :D

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I think the average was around £10.00 that was awhile ago though in a survey in one of the dog mags, although some are more some less, the only way to be sure would be to speak to your vet and ask.

Certain things though you dont have to have a prescription for (dont know if your aware or not) things like Drontal, Panacur wormers and frontline spot on
    and other things you can get without. I know several people on here have said, especially those whos dogs are on ongoing meds, even with a prescription charge it still works out a lot cheaper in some cases.

4. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I think it's over £10 at mine but they have to put a bigger a mark up on drugs because they can only buy from certain drug companies and they can't buy in the huge bulk like online stockist can, plus they don't have the room to store them, I'm never 100% happy buying drugs online as they are huge big business in the forgery market, I would only ever buy from one or two companies online.

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Thanks all!

My own vet quoted £18 for a prescription-I'm in the SE. Just interested in what others charge that's all.

Completely agree about buying online and only from the reputable companies. I'd never consider any others!

6. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Just out of curiosity, who ARE the responsible companies? And Ianthi I could e-mail my four nearest vets and ask if you would like? There does seem to be quite a difference in prices between Scotland and England though

7. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I only ever use Vetuk they are quick and reliable and although not always the cheapest they are cheaper than my local vet practise.

8. We are in the SE as well (Reading Berkshire) and our vet charges £14 for a prescription.

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Yes, prices vary within the country and even within regions! Thanks very much for the offer but think I can safely predict there will be some differences as you mention! Even more so with treatments though my last vet was very competetive for Surrey!

As Greyhare mentioned, VetUK is reliable. Another that springs to mind is Petmeds and there are two others I just can't recall just now!

10. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

I've bought non prescription stuff from MedicAnimal and found that they were very good.