UTI worries, urinating in food bowl, & costs at vets

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by rubyrobot, Feb 27, 2011.

1. rubyrobot

rubyrobot PetForums Junior

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

Yesterday, I caught my cat Sebastian, who's around 18 months old, urinating on his cat bed. Prior to this, he'd never urinated anywhere but his litter tray, he's so good.

I put it down to a one off, thinking it was because it was his litter tray changing day and I hadn't got round to it yet.

However, today, I turned around to see him urinating in his food bowl! Now i'm really worried :(

After doing loads of Googling, it seems that it could be a sign of a UTI.. however, when I caught him those 2 times, there wasn't just a bit of urine, there was loads! Well, when I say loads, the normal amount. I saw no blood, and he doesn't seem to go and squat loads, with no urine coming out. Everything about it seems normal, aside from where he did it!

I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this? Also, if anyone has any idea how much it would cost to get him checked for this? I'm majorly poor right now, so going to have to see if I can borrow some money. PDSA can't help, as i'm not on any sort of benefits - just a poor student.

Help! :(

2. buffie

buffie PetForums VIP

Cant really be of much help Im afraid,it could be a UTI or a number of other things.The only person who can help is a vet ,I know you say you are a poor student but what happens if you are faced with an emergency vet visit .Is he neutered by the way.

3. rubyrobot

rubyrobot PetForums Junior

Then I go without food and borrow money, as I am doing this time round. I'm a mature student, when I decided to go back to university I wasn't going to get rid of my beloved cat.. life happens.

So no idea of costs / had any similar experiences? Yes, I had him neutered when he was around 7 months old.

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I agree that a UTI would appear likely here. If he's on dry food I'd switch immediately to a wet one and try to ensure he drinks lots of water.

He will need to see a vet though as soon as possible - it will only worsen and become more painful otherwise. You'll have to cover the vet consultation fee and most likely a course of antibiotics. So depending on where you live I reckon about £50 - £60!

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

If you are a full time student then I think Blue cross will give free treatment....or even the PDSA...worth calling to check to see if you qualify.

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

It might be that it's so painful he holds it in, you never know with UTI's. These things don;t get better on there own so I would make an appt for the vet asap. When my two have suffered from this type of thing it was normally sorted with antibiotics so approx £40 inc the consultation fee but this would depend on what is wrong & the consulting fee.

7. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

It may be a UTI. There doesn't have to be signs of blood in the urine for it to be a UTI. Good luck and I hope it is easily resolved at the vets.

8. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

My cat often gets cystitis which has very similar symptons to a UTI and blockage by crystals. She will often start by weeing in the house (what seems like normal amounts) which is out of character as she goes outside. If the weeing continues in unusual places, the amounts of wee become smaller or there is blood, then you must go the vet as Sebastian will be in pain. Also, boys are more likely to suffer from a blockage, so it he doesn't wee a normal amount for 24 hours then he needs immediate treatment anyway. As for costs, my vet started off charging £18 for two appointments and £4 for injections (they are cheap though).

9. catsmum

catsmum PetForums Member

then I suggest you go without food now or borrow money so that you can get your cat to a vet now - as this is an emergency. It wont cost you more than around £30 for the initial consultation. Nobody here can say the total costs, as we're not your vet, don't know what his charges are and we're not in a position to examine or diagnose your cat. Your vet is in that position and at the initial consultation will tell you what the further treatment will cost.