Topical flea treatment - very bad reaction.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Victrola, Jun 19, 2017 at 6:29 AM.

1. Victrola

Victrola PetForums Newbie

Yesterday my two new arrivals, the 14 week only kittens received their first spot on flea treatment called Frontline but within hours of it being applied they were going absolutely crazy.

They cried and yelped constantly and scratched themselves so badly i felt ashamed i had given it to them they were in such discomfort.

Legs, face, tummies - anywhere they could wash or scratch they did. They were going mad trying to stop it... I have never seen anything like it.

To try to ease their misery my partner and I put them both in a washbasin of barely luke warm plain water without soap of any kind to cool and soothe them and then rinsed and rinsed as much as possible this dreadful stuff off of them using a soft flannel.

This morning, they are still scratching and thoroughly unhappy and miserable as before.

How often have other cat owners experienced this?

I am very angry that this could possibly have happened!

#1 Victrola, Jun 19, 2017 at 6:29 AM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 7:34 AM
  2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Rinsing them with water will do absolutely nothing. The stuff is oil based, so you need to strip the oil out of their coats. This needs a proper bath with a really good degreaser. To be honest, I'd recommend fairy liquid as it cuts through anything, then a gentle cat specific shampoo to restore the pH of their skins to avoid any further irritation. I would also report this to your vet who gave them the treatment.

3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this. I believe Frontline is the same as Effipro, so avoid that too. Maybe Frontline has a Helpline you can ring, or ring your vet? I stopped using Frontline as it just did not work on mine. But be warned, the vet gave one of mine a Stronghold (only available from a vet) and he went bald! A huge bald area at the point of application. He was a beautiful LH black and white boy and the hair never properly grew back. I have for a few years used Advantage which you can get online and not had any problems. My vet uses Advocate which has always been fine. Let us know how you get on?

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I agree that you need to report this to the vet and the manufacturer.
    My Wiggins had an awful reaction to Advantage which caused a chemical burn to the area of application. I would not use any kind of topical treatment on him ever again, not that he would let me near him to try!

5. Victrola

I sure will, and thank you both for your advice,

As soon as my vet opens up today i shall be reporting this. I hate to think what the poor little things are going through. I bought this stuff from Pets at Home so I shall be sending them feedback as well. The worst part is, the bad reaction didn't start immediately otherwise i would have got it off of them sooner. They must be absolutely exhausted with this and to think that this stuff was supposedly suitable for kittens of this age!

6. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

One of mine had a huge bald spot and scab when he was administered Advocate a year or so ago, I reported it to my vet who then notified the manufacturer, who in turn phoned me. I don't regularly flea treat mine (thank heaven) as they are indoor, but mine even hate the sensation of it and it interrupts with cuddles, so if I had to, I'd find another way - tablet/injection whatever.

7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Wiggins' reaction was almost instantaneous and acute. He must have felt like I had put acid on his skin and the poor boy rocketed around the room trying to get away from the pain. Luckily for me it was during office hours and I have a vet just a few doors down so I rushed him down there and the vet shaved the area then cleaned the product residue from his skin but he had already broken out into huge weeping red welts.
    I just will not risk trying any other brand on him ever again and anyway if he ever suspects I am trying to do something similar he is off like a shot.
    When I took him back to that same vet practice at a later date he obviously remembered it and had what I can only describe as a feline panic attack....he was trembling so much that the carrier shook and the vet diagnosed a severe heart murmur. ( further checks at another practice found no such murmur)
    I reported the issue to the manufacturer who covered the vet appointment cost.
    I have never been a fan of regular use of these products anyway so that awful incident just confirmed my suspicions. My cats don't leave the garden so I use a good household flea spray 'just in case' and we don't have an issue with fleas.

8. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Oh poor Wiggins, that must have been such a worry. With Suki it was within a day or so, he had hated it being put on him in the past but I just put it down to the sensation of it on his fur or skin. The horror when I got up the next day to find a scab in a bald spot the size of a 50p.

9. Victrola

At least this afternoon they have calmed down a little. Probably with exhaustion as all through the night they were in a terrible state.

I have phoned Pets at Home three times today. Their service was appauling. In fact I'm still waiting for them to phone back. I certainly wil not trust them in the future that's for certain after this awful experience. They don't seem to care one bit.

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

@Victrola check the packaging and contact the manufacturer

11. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

To be honest I'm not sure you can be sure that the product is faulty - after all people are allergic to penicillin and that doesn't mean it's bad, it just means that people are allergic - even in the posts you can see one person whose cat reacted to Stronghold but is fine with Advantage and below that someone who's cat reacted badly to Advantage and then someone who reacted to advocate! Might not be the product, might be the cat...

Have a word with your vet and see if you can find out what the active chemical is and avoid it. Also, I would speak with them about the reaction itself. It sounds very strange that they would be scratching everywhere when the spot on was only put on the back of their necks. All other reactions here seem to have been only where the spot on was applied. Are you sure there wasn't another trigger and it's just a coincidence that it was a few hours after the spot on was applied?

Calvine, Paw87 and moggie14 like this.
  12. Franlow

Franlow PetForums Member

I bought little Armitage collars for Sodium & Helium when they were really tiny - not flea collars, just to tell them apart. Helium was absolutely fine, within a couple of hours poor little Sodium had a huge raw weeping sore across the back of her neck. I rang Armitages to complain - I was so damn angry, these babies were only 6 weeks old & I checked they were just kitten collars & they came sealed in plastic. To give them their due, they contacted my Vets & paid all the bills for the care. We didn't need a collar afterwards, as Sodium was the one in the jacket. This is a sleeve from a long sleeved tee she was that tiny - worked brilliantly & stopped her scratching it. She was bald until she was about 18 months old.
    [​IMG]

Victrola likes this.
  13. Victrola

I am quite sure it was the Frontline and I will never use it again.

I took the tip from others on here and bathed them over again early on to strip off this awful stuff and thankfully they have calmed down.

Sure, people can also be allergic to certain drugs and chemicals. They can also die from them.

Unfortunately we do not seem to have the same safeguards in place here in the U.K. when it comes to our animals.

14. Victrola

The poor little thing...you sure have my sympathies here ❤️

15. Paw87

Paw87 PetForums Junior

Never use Bob Martin products - I know you didn't use that brand but I just wanted to warn you. I've heard of animals dying after being administered these products. Silly question, but did you use the correct dose for your kittens?

#15 Paw87, Jun 19, 2017 at 8:32 PM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 8:40 PM
    Calvine likes this.
  16. Victrola

Hi there Paw87

I sure did. i even weighed them precisely beforehand. The dosages are pre packed and at fourteen weeks i felt they would be ok.

They have had three thorough but gentle baths now and are far more calm than they were last night. No sign of flea eggs or adults in the water. I'll do the house and carpets in lemon and cedar wood and i've heard that a little dilute lemon spray on their coats deter fleas as well. I couldn't bear to see them going so crazy. it was constant washing and scratching for hours. They couldn't keep still. Had i left it overnight they would have been red raw by this morning.

Paw87 likes this.
  17. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

@Victrola please do not use any kind of essential oils on, or near your cats as they are toxic for felines.
    Personally, I choose to rely mainly on a good household spray such as Indorex, carefully applied room by room so as to limit exposure to the chemicals.

18. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Are you absolutely sure this was their first treatment? If the breeder treated for fleas (many do soon before kittens leave) then you could have been adding one chemical onto another already there or unintentionally overdosing with Fipronil. I used to use Frontline on kittens just before they went to new homes but I stopped doing it, partly because my kittens didn't have fleas and partly because I didn't want to risk reactions like this.

19. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

FRONTLINE Plus has 2 tough killing ingredients. The 1st, fipronil, kills adult fleas and ticks. The 2nd, (S)-methoprene, attacks flea eggs and larvae. They work together to kill all month long.

I believe Effipro is the same (you can check that tho').

20. Paw87

Paw87 PetForums Junior

Gosh, poor darlings. I'm glad they are doing better now.