Tips on washing wooden pet 'furniture'

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by peter0, Oct 24, 2011.

1. peter0

peter0 PetForums VIP

I have multiple wooden huts climbing frames, tubes for my mice, i wash them down with the hose every week but thats starting to not work now, They smell quite bad and i cant think what to use, does anyone have any thing they use any tips on how to get them back smelling okay? Any help would ge great:)

2. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

cover them in plastikote, then they will just wipe clean

3. peter0

peter0 PetForums VIP

Thanks Lil Miss, but i have no idea what plastikote is, and when i type it on google it comes up as spray paint:confused:?

4. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

it is... sort of

it sprays on a thin layer of a plastic like substance (100% safe if eaten)
    plastikote

5. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

6. Acid

Acid PetForums Member

i soaked the 2nd hand logs and wooden bridges i bought in red wine vinegar for a few hours then let them sit in hot water to wash off the vinegar for an hour, couldnt smell the rat pee on them after that so it should work for mice too then you can spray plastikote on them

7. peter0

peter0 PetForums VIP

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll give them a wash as soon as with the stuff reccomended. I've put lots of homemade things and all their extra toys in just now, so they still have plenty to do, gonna make more things too:)

8. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

I scrub my wooden toys with boiling water and sometimes some baking soda :) You could steep them in boiling water and stick them in the oven on high temperature for a few hours so they will dry off :) Although I have to second the plastikote or japlac idea :) I prefer japlac, only because i get spray paint everywhere :lol: With the range of colours you could have a rainbow theme :D

9. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I too would go for good old boiling water! I would even boil them in a pan or slow cooker for a while

10. peter0

peter0 PetForums VIP

Yeah think i will go with that, seems to clear everything else lol. I'll put them all in a giant bucket/basket type thing with lots of boiling water, should i add some fairy liquid? Then i'll rinse down and leave to dry out in the air, then get some plastikote! I'll be starting to build their new cage as i'd prefer them in that than their tank. Thanks for all the advice and i'll post some pics of the new cage once its done:thumbup:

11. Alexandre8100

Alexandre8100 PetForums Newbie

Besides baking soda,moisturizing soap is often what is best to use in this regard...

12. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I cover all wooden toys with plasticote so they are protected and become easy to wipe clean :cornut:

13. peter0

peter0 PetForums VIP

Old post, since then i got rid of the wood furniture. I tried plastikote but i didn't find it worked but i think it was due to the fact my 4 'females' were all male:rolleyes:. They still have twigs/branches to chew on for their teeth and i just replace these when they start smelling:D

14. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

I used to use wooden houses and hideouts for my rodents and found they go to smell pretty quickly.Some of them would go mouldy as well:(. So now instead of wooden ones I use cardboard boxes and packaging for them instead and just give them wooden chews for their teeth. Much cheaper (free if you use the card packing food comes in) , they get the fun of ripping the card up, you just chuck them when you clean the cage, and cos their easily replaced they get a new 'toy' every week! :cornut:

15. peter0

peter0 PetForums VIP

You should see the bigger cages its a maze of carboards boxes, tubes, hay, twigs/branches and hideouts lol. They love it:D