tinned meat

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by xxxnickixxx, Apr 7, 2012.

1. xxxnickixxx

xxxnickixxx PetForums Senior

my sister as just got a medium sized dog she is short on cash but wants to feed a good high meat content and good dry as the vet told her to feed both to fatten the dog up anyone got any ideas what to feed i told her wainwrights wet or vitalin dry or maybe look on zooluss but i thought i would get ideas off here for her first she wants to feed wagg i told her not to

2. DogLove3

DogLove3 PetForums VIP

Chappi or pedigree cans are reasonably priced. James wellbeloved is very good but is a little more expensive than some others, but it is worth looking at.
    I have many types in my online store, feel free to take a look.
    Pet Courtyard Dog Supplies

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Have a look at the wet and dry food sticky's here or the WhichDogFood website that David here has set up.

Off the top of my head, a half decent budget kibble - poss Autarky Salmon and wet - prob chappie original or butchers classic but I would only feed those if my back was really against the wall.

I'd never recommend Pedigree :(

I cant think atm but I'm sure there have been threads here with specific foods recommended for weight gain rather than a combination of wet and dry. Possibly something as simple as increasing the amount of what she feeds atm.

#3 Mum2Heidi, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

Rocco from Zooplus, the Classic is 100% meat and innards, nothing else. Works out about the same price per gram as the likes of Butchers and Pedigree.

5. xxxnickixxx

xxxnickixxx PetForums Senior

wouldnt wainwraights trays work out cheaper than rocco tins ?

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Yes, WW would be slightly cheaper.

WW is £9 for 12 trays (395g) Rocco is £5.99 for 6x400g (classic)
    £8.99 for 6x800g
    Rocco menu is probably more like WW (meat, carbs and veg)
    £5.49 for 6x400g
    £8.69 for 6x800g

7. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Feed a decent dry (complete) food and miss out the canned food which is at least 65% water and a high percentage of sugar anyway. There are a few on here that swear by CSJ Hi Lost coming in at £12.50 for a 15kg bag and their dogs appear to be doing well on it.

If you want to put weight on a dog give it some green tripe.

8. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Something like Naturediet or Wainwrights wet trays have no "sugars" - they are just meat, rice and veg, so only naturally occuring "sugars" from the veg. As for the 65% water, that's natural moisture from the meat, etc. A chicken breast, for example, is around 70% water.

Personally I like to feed natural wet foods (only the good quality ones) as I feel they are easier on the digestion that dry, cereal-based foods.

Just my opinion, of course! ;)