Think we may have to rehome our border terrier :-(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jem29, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

We have 2 border terriers, Fudge the male is 2 in August, he is a beautiful boy, and is soft as a brush. We also have Holly who is 2 in October.

Our circumstances have changed, my husbands job is longer hours, I have 3 children and I am finding looking after 2 much harder, and I struggle to walk the 2 of them on my own:( I am only little, hehe. My husband has to work away a few nights a week now so it is all on me to take care of them both.

I feel terrible and am worried sick that Holly is going to hate me for taking Fudge away from her:( Silly of me to think that maybe but I can't help it, I feel terrible. I feel so sad and sick to the stomach when I think of him going, but my husband and I agree Holly is the smallest of the 2, and she would be easier to keep as a house dog. Fudge is abit bigger and stronger, hehe. He is used to being around children, and is fab with other animals, I have a cat and he is fine with her.

He is toilet trained, eats well and is a lovely little boy. He is a pedigree border terrier but my husband didn't get papers for him, which is a shame but still does not stop him being a gorgeous little boy.

I am feeling so upset by this but I know it will be kinder to him as I just cannot give him the time and attention he needs on my own with 3 little ones to look after aswell. I know I will have Holly but only having 1 would be alot easier, I hope anyway and I can still manage to walk her. I would hate to see them both go.

Am I a bad person? :(:confused:

2. borderer

borderer Guest

wonderfull dogs wish i lived nearer to you:thumbup:

3. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

I feel terrible, he is a wonderful dog and we will all be so so sad to see him go:-((((((

I just really want him to go to a good home.

4. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

i dont mean to be funny im just saying my opinion if you can keep one then you should be able to keep 2 really its just about training them properly on the lead and then you could walk them on your own no problem......... is the fact that you cant walk the 2 of them together the only reason for rehoming????

5. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

No it isn't the only reason, with hubby working away I just find it hard juggling the 3 children and the dogs. Fudge is a slightly bigger dog and the children seem to get him rather excited, Holly tends to not get involved in it and just sits and watches, although Fudge isn't a lively dog as in wild or anythin:D he gets too excited with the kids and tends to bark, when hubby is around I have extra help to calm the kids down, maybe I should rehome them, haha:D. It is just hard work having the 2 right now.

I don't want to be flamed for this, I feel awful as it is.:(

6. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

That is such a shame. I would certainly think very hard about rehoming one of them as you may make more problems for yourself as your little female may miss him to the point where she becomes more demanding on your attention and time, she may need you to take over her 'entertainment' instead of your little male?? Therefore becoming more work for you and your family, also she could suffer from seperation issues with no companion at home when you have to leave her?

Sorry to sound negative but just pointing out some of the reasons people get another dog and some of the problems single dogs have!

Are you sure you couldn't maybe pair up with a friend who may not have a dog but who would perhaps love to go for a walk every day with you and yours? Or maybe enrol the children in hide and seek treat games with the dogs to help tire them out so they are less in need of a long walk so you could do a shorter route maybe??

Hope all goes well with whatever you decide. X

7. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

im not having ago at you dont take it that way......

maybe try set up a strict routine for the 2 of them........

im just trying to paint a picture in my head thats all so i can offer advice

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Why are you thinking of rehoming so quickly?? Why don't you see if you can get a dog walker for some days?? Dogs are for keeps even when things aren't going smoothly
    Why do you think it will be 'kinder' for the dogs if you got rid of one? I can't see it myself

#8 Cleo38, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  9. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I think its up to the OP we cant say anything as we arn't in the situation. we dont have 3 children and 2 dogs to deal with. Every person is different and I think its responsible to realise your limits. Sadly their circumstances have changed.

10. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

yes but its also her responsibility to keep the dog for they life time i do understand things change but rehoming should be first prota-call in my view and im sure many others would agree try other options first before giving up all hope.... and as pointed out by someone if she does rehome the boy then the girl might and very well could become more demanding and miss him

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

But wasn't there a saying 'A dog is for life .....' ?????

12. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

Well said, i know this is a very hard decision but just want to agree with all that Matrix/logan has said, i also have 2 dogs, and i know if either of them got seperated now it would be harder work going back to 1 dog.
    Hope you can sort things out which ever decision you are going with. Thinking of you.

13. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I agree a dog is for life, But i am not in this posters situation in the fact i dont have 3 kids to look after. Yeah the other dog may miss him, but like anything else she would cope in time. I hope they can sort things out but if not then they'll have to do what they feel is best

14. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

We adopted charlie our cocker though similar circumstances to yours, he came from a very devoted owner, she has 2 small children only her husband walked out on them so she had to take up full time work, so he was left alone longer than he had ever been used to, they, her and her husband used to take it in turns to walk him so someone was there for the youngsters, it was very hard for her to give charlie the exercise he needed when she was on her own, so decided he had to be rehomed, the best for him he is 5 and she had,had him from 9 weeks she was devastated and did say "ive failed him,havnt i? but as i said we only fail our animals when we dont do the best for them. She has another dog he is now 13 a staffie she rescued with 3 legs bless him so is much,much easier to manage and since charlie left he has been fine it has had no effect on him at all. So whatever you decide i do hope you make the right decision we can only make our decisions on how things are now and if you feel its unmanagable then you have to do what you have to do, so good luck with it all and i hope it all works out for the best.

DKDREAM likes this.
  15. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yes but lets not kid ourselves that it really what best for the OP NOT the dogs. Sorry but all this 'i feel awful but I'm doing what's best for them' isn't true
    I am constantly amazed by so called pet lovers who so quickly get rid of their animals

16. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

it is what's best for them or him in this case, the op could keep him with Holly but they may not get as much attention/walks as before, we dont know how their routine is now and what it will be like later do we? It really gets me all this negative stuff.

17. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I hope you don't mind me posting this link Jem, but it explains in greater detail what you have been going through.

When I read your first post on here I did feel it was a cop out. I'm a 'small' mum of 3 children and 4 large/giant breeds who's husband works nights - so I did feel that it was a poor excuse for rehoming.

Having reread this thread it becomes clear that you have been having more problems for quite a while. It may give people a different view point.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/92231-no-sure-what-do-re-my-dogs.html

Hope things work out for you

DKDREAM likes this.
  18. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

What gets me is all this rehoming stuff!!! :mad::mad:

19. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

i kinda know how you feel because a friend of mine had 2dog and 4 cats 2 kids and she just left he husband and she was going to rehome 2 cat and 1 dog because thing became really hard for her but first she went to see her vet who helped her find a dog waker that wasnt two much and she looked into like a home away frome home dog center so twice a weak they was not at home to try and see if she could cope because she didnt want to give them up im not saying she finding it easy but she give it a month befor makeing up her mind because she worrie about pineing maby you should talk to your vet if not maby you should rehome him just make sure you find the right people good luck

20. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

sometimes its unavoidable though, I have dogs and would never rehome ...... but how can i look into the future? their maybe a time i might have to so I dont judge people. I really hope i never have to though because i love them so much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.