The philosophy that a dog is lower than humans?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by VioletRoses1000, Feb 21, 2012.

1. VioletRoses1000

VioletRoses1000 PetForums Junior

My mom always says that Americans act as if dogs are their own children and love them more than their grandparents. Both my parents and a lot of my relatives believe that a dog's life is automatically lower than a human's.

Sometimes they would say, "Why would you own a dog? Look at those millions of people suffering from starvation." True, I do pity them. It is sad that our kind has to suffer, but...I don't fully agree that dogs are automatically lower than humans, and that it is shameful to love one like a family member.

Why? Because for generations, dogs have helped humans. Siberian Huskies pull sleds for the Chukchi people, Labrador Retrievers help fishermen catch fish, and a lot other things like that. In fact, a lot of dogs are BETTER companions than humans. They've been able to accomplish things that humans couldn't. Maybe it's because they can't talk in human languages and stand on two feet that makes them so "low".

So what do you think??

Galadriel17 likes this.
  2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

It is not only Americans, though. Here in the UK doglovers definitely think of their dogs as their children. As to dogs being "lower" than humans, who do you think decided that? It wasn't dogs was it?

Human beings are the most vicious animals on the planet and no way would I put one above my dogs, not one I don't know anyway. My children and grandchildren might come first, but certainly not anybody else. Given that they can be trained to do all sorts of marvellous things, without understanding a word we speak, I think they are probably more intelligent.

They are considered a lower form of life because they are not sentient, i.e. not self aware. They do not know they are dogs, they do not know that there is a big wide world beyond their little piece of it. But then neither would we if nobody had told us.

I am now going to say something very controversial about these starving babies in third world countries - why would almighty, intelligent people keep having babies they know they are not going to be able to feed? Is that intelligent behaviour? I think not.

Dogs are my favourite people.

portiaa likes this.
  3. VioletRoses1000

Great post!!! Me, I'm unaware of a million of things. If my mom hadn't told me about poor kids in other countries, I wouldn't have known about them. That shouldn't make me low, I believe.

Dogs and horses are my favorite people as well.

4. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Unfortunately there is a HUGE problem in America with unwanted and mistreated dogs. There are many dogs kept as "yard dogs" who have little human contact other than to be fed. Their collars are left to grow into their necks. I watch the Animal Cops series on Animal Planet and it has been a real eye opener:( I do love my dogs and they are true respected family members but not in the same way as I love my son who is THE most important thing in my life:)
    I own dog(s) as a source of interest and pleasure in life and to enrich my life and hope to give them a good life in return. Me not owning a dog will not stop all the injustice and inequality in the world. Some of my family members find it difficult to understand why I have grieved and continue to grieve for the dog we lost in November 2010. I pity them that they have not felt this depth of love for a dog.

5. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

My dogs are my loyal companions and I care for them just as much as I do any human. I think animals lives are not lower in value than humans and in many respects they are far superior. I do not give money to human related charities, never have done. I only give to animal, wildlife and environmental.

However, my dogs are not my children or members of my family, they are my pets. As such they do not get the same priviilges as humans such as being taken everywhere with me or being allowed on the furniture. They have their place, and we have ours (i'm not insinuating any dominance theory here).

6. Iluvmypets

Iluvmypets PetForums Member

You asked what I think... well this is what I think... I have NEVER known a dog to put a hammer through my front window or to smash my back window in my car, yet this happened this weekend to me :( Also when I think about it I have never known a dog to stab or hit and run over someone while drunk driving.... That's all I gotta say.

7. VioletRoses1000

True, awesome and expert dog trainer and behaviorist Cesar Milan does love dogs but at the same time only sees them as dogs and makes sure they know their place.

Yes, and even if a dog is aggressive, it's in a more natural way than scary humans!

8. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Woah- whilst I agree that dogs can be family members, surely a humans life (especially that of one known to us) HAS to be more important than that of a dog? So long as the human in question was a reasonable one- not a murderer, rapist etc

Or where do you draw the line? Cat? Hamster? Pig (as clever as a dog- in that they have the capacity to learn- can be trained) but we slaughter them daily? any other pet species? Monkey- very similar to ourselves?

9. VioletRoses1000

You do make a point. Someones I am in conflict with my thoughts with whether a good human or a good dog's life is more important.

I am just saying, a dog shouldn't be called lower than humans, but that doesn't mean, and I've never said, that they should be higher, if you get what I mean =).

And out of all the animals you stated, I agree most on the monkey. As I'm not very knowledgeable about them, I can only say that people who kill them are cruel and they should be able to live a wild life.

#9 VioletRoses1000, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  10. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Basically it boils down to this.... you HAVE to make this call- who would you put to sleep your mother/husband/sister/brother/best mate or your dog.

(This is assuming you love the human and the dog)

11. VioletRoses1000

I guess it all comes down to the dog. Oi, if only dogs weren't dominated by humans.

12. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I have to say as well it's not only americans who treat their dogs like kids, i certainly treat my two as furkids, and i'm sorry but i do my bit to help others so I will always have dogs, and it's not going to make any difference to 'starving kids'

So do i think dogs are lower then people, in short no!

13. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

I dont hold with the idea that any creature is lower or higher than any other, we all have our different slots to fill in the world. I love my dogs, I love the time we share together, I love the fact that they are happy to work alongside me. I never, however, think of them as anything other than dogs, why would I do so, for that's what they are, and to think of them in any other way, as some seem to, would be, I believe, doing them a great injustice.

simplysardonic and Dogless like this.
  14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Absolutely this ^^^^^; just put into words by Pete far, far more eloquently than I could manage.

15. springerpete

You're too kind dogless. Enjoyed your walk today? We had a muddy one in the woods.....

16. VioletRoses1000

Yeah, I agree. It'd be genetically wrong if my mom gave birth to a Siberian Husky anyway :eek:

17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

Why? I don't see that humans are any more important than any other animal on the planet, and let's not forget that humans are animals.

I don't think one is doing a dog any favours by not treating it like a dog. If you don't you would be serving him egg and chips and expecting him to sit and watch telly!

Certainly they are dogs, and they should be treated as dogs in that we buy them dog food and take them for nice walks and places they like to go, not places we like to go. Just like we would take our children to a theme park though we would rather be at home on the internet or watching telly.

But that doesn't mean they are worth any less, or that they don't mean as much to us. If I still had small children, they would be more important than the dogs, but I don't and I don't consider my adult children to be dependent on me as the dogs are. My son is, of course, but even he knows who comes first.

When a social worker was assessing him for possible independent living, she asked what would be the first thing he would do if there was a fire. He replied straight away: "I'd get the dogs out". She looked quite astounded and asked: "what about dialing the fire brigade?" "Yes," says Ian. "But I'd get the dogs out first".

18. springerpete

Hmmmm. not quite getting the comparison here??

19. VioletRoses1000

One of my pet peeves is that girly girls put their chihuahuas or yorkies or other toy breed dogs in their purse all day long...

And your son really impressed me!

20. VioletRoses1000

Our parents don't treat our dog like it's their child, cuz it isn't and never will be. Hope I don't sound confusing.