The Dry Dog Food Index

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SixStar, Sep 9, 2011.

1. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

#1 SixStar, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. Will bookmark it.

3. henry

henry PetForums VIP

That's very helpful and interesting to see the feeding costs. Thanks for doing that - sure it'll help a lot of people. Claire

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Brilliant, well done :)

On a side note, bit worrying how many reds there are :(

5. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Really? You have NO idea about me.

This is fabulous! Can it be made into a sticky?

6. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

Ooh great! :D

7. JoJo74

JoJo74 PetForums Member

I've often thought something like this would be so handy. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

8. Staffybull

Staffybull PetForums Member

Very well done,a lot of time and effort involved!

I like the colour ratings for foods,and agree with you on most"if not all"of the foods involved,there are others,but the list is endless!

This will benefit some that are unsure of what foods to choose for their dog,regarding cereals,feeding costs etc!

I think this is what the forum needs!

A good rating system,based on types of foods,including nutritional value,prices and experiences on feeding!

#8 Staffybull, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  9. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Wow thats fantastic, thanks for doing that :)
    :smile5:

10. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Well done for putting all this data together - but do you not think that the "Suggested daily amount" is meaningless - why not simply quote price per Kilo ?

That and the percentage of the main ingredients allows you compare the brands.

If you seek a 35% meat content food for £1 /Kg buy supermarket value sausages. (A third of the price of many of the biscuits.)

Looking at that list, many contain the lovely phrase meat meal and animal by-products and by-product derivatives.

A link to one of the many EU laws that define Animal By-Products.

Hmmmmmmmm tasty Category Three by-products :eek:hmy:

Baked dried blood and day old male chicks (inc feathers)

11. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

I'm glad people think it will be useful :) Do you think there are any other brands that I should include? I couldn't think of any others! Well, apart from CJS, I'll add that tomorrow.

No, I don't think it was meaningless including the daily feeding suggestion. Feeding requirements vary immensely between brands, so it's useful to know roughly how much is going to need to be fed everyday - some of the cheap brands require loads more to be fed in comparison with the better brands, which cancels out some peoples argument that rubbish food is all they can afford, because sometimes you actually end up feeding more of it - thus spending more than you would if using a good diet.

What's the price of supermarket sausages got to do with anything? :confused: All these foods are complete diets, sausages aren't, and they definately aren't something I'd be feeding my dogs regularly at all - far too much fat and spices. Besides - I'd hazard a guess that dog food ingredients were pretty much on par with cheap sausages :D

Nothing wrong with meat meal, it's just fresh meat that's had it's water content removed. I quite agree with you regarding the nastiness of the animal by products/derivatives - that's why the foods containing them are not recommended.

I’m guessing you’re a raw feeder? I am too. A lot of people aren’t though and there’s nothing wrong with that, hence this list ;)

henry likes this.
  12. Staffybull

Staffybull PetForums Member

There are loads of dry foods,"2 many to mention"!

I did not know that you fed raw,well done to you for thinking of others:thumbup:very considerate!

13. LeeM018

LeeM018 PetForums Member

Brilliant thread. I'm a big fan of the equivalent cat food threads and it's good to see a dog version. It will no doubt become a valuable resource - hope it gets 'stickied' soon.

Good effort SixStar :)

14. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Thanks for making this SixStar, it's really helped! :)

I hope it's stickied! (if that's even a word? :confused:)
    :)

15. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Great list :) and nice to see ww is yellow as that's what I feed kiva. I think the daily feeding prices are a great idea, for instance, its interesting to see that it actually works out cheaper to feed ww instead of bakers! I must say though, some of the prices for the green ones are a little extortionate (sp?) I used to feed my last gsd Tara on harringtons, and although you have it in red, compared to all the other brands available on the asda shelves, harringtons ingredients didn't look anywhere near as bad!

16. Bellaboo1

Bellaboo1 PetForums VIP

A very good idea, especially for newbies, well done to you for having the initiative to do it. Must have taken up a lot of your time, and especially nice considering that you feed raw yourself, nice not to be lectured for a change . Thanks :)

#16 Bellaboo1, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  17. emsky

emsky PetForums Member

Just switched back to the Burgess Supadog Sensitive which has 26% lamb meal, 26% rice, shocked at the beef one as Supadog was recommended by a Dobermann rescue site as a better brand. Think i will be switching again now, thanks to your information are you going to keep adding to it? Would be good to have more Good and Medium quality food to compare.

18. Paganman

Paganman PetForums Senior

How about Fishmongers and vitalin?

19. Bellaboo1

Bellaboo1 PetForums VIP

I had heard Fishmongers had been discontinued ?

20. Louloulala

Louloulala PetForums Newbie

Thanks for this, I was going to post today about complete foods asking which one people consider the best and best value. I don't have to now as you have answered all the questions I had :) So thanks. Great thread.