UK Pet Forums Forum banner

The dog who saved my life

8K views 95 replies 62 participants last post by  LouLatch 
#1 · (Edited)
Barney is my 4 year old English springer spaniel. I got him almost 4 years ago today at 6 months of age.

My life has changed so much because of him, everyone says they change because of their dog but he's changed me and in some ways saved my life.

When I was very young I was bullied, this bullying continued all though school. I was psychically bullied as well as mentally and sadly any friends I made they were also attacked. I became very anti social and upon getting a computer at the age of 12, I just never left home unless it was to go to school. The bullying also affected my school work as sometimes I was also bullied in class and sadly by the age of 15 I developed Panic attacks. Things did not good for me as by 17 I had very few friends and was just not comfortable being in groups of people, which I new would affect me if I ever hoped to get a job.

After many years of trying to convince my mum I wanted a dog and the advice of others, she finally let me have a dog. that dog was barney, he was nothing special just a 6 month old puppy who's owners were not able to keep him. He had very little training and had eye problems, I did not think a whole lot of him when he first appeared and even thought he was kind of ugly.

We were quickly friends and I found how much I loved teaching him things as he loved learning them. There was another side to him that came with benefits, being a dog people would stop and talk to me wanting to know about him and often talking just about him. The more people I met because of him they more my confidence grew, I even started taking him with me everywhere I went as him became my protector.

As our bond grew stronger he soon picked up my panic attacks and started to warn me about them. This helped me so much, sadly I still had to go to college without him but when I came home I was so happy to see him again. I would spend my days teaching him tricks and playing games with him. I later found out a trick I taught him would also protect me in the future.

I taught Barney to chase friends and neighbors who happily volunteered. I NEVER allowed him to bite although sometimes he would nip them it would never really hurt. One day I had a small group of youths shouting abusive and horrible things at me, one even hit me. Barney did NOT approve and he gave a small growl, the youth who hit me backed off. I told them to leave or the dog will attack them, they ran and barney chased after them and chased them off my street. Once they got off my street he came back as the happist dog in the world. Since then I have been left alone and I still get the occasional abuse from the other side of the street when he is not with me but now they just leave me alone.

I rarely have panic attacks now because of him, I have nothing to fear. I am also very confident now with people and still teach barney lots of tricks. I also met my fiancee because of him, as my fiancee loves springer spaniels. I have allot to owe him and despite various problems he's had and the high vets bills (he recently got a twisted stomach), I am still forever indebted to him and would be lost without him.

Here's a few videos of him;

YouTube - Chase
here he's chasing my friend on command.

YouTube - Quick Tricks
a video of him doing some quick tricks

YouTube - Barney's Home
and this is home after his twisted gut op

YouTube - Let's play fetch
Him playing fetch.

This dog has put up with my insanity and my aggression. Sadly he has become very very unwell and is allot of pain and no one is sure what is wrong right now but it's not looking good for him.

Thank you Barney for making me who I am.

edit;

Sadly after a trip to the vets it was found he had several lumps in his gut and stomach which have been believed to be tumors and his gut had re-twisted. It was decided that it would be fairer on Barney to place him to sleep then go through the trauma any longer.

R.I.P Barney

See less See more
Reactions: hawksport
#56 ·
Thanks everyone, although it's been a year it's still hard but I can now watch videos and look at photo's without sobbing every time, he was a beautiful lad and I dearly miss him.

#60 ·
It takes so much ruddy time, doesn't it? I sob all the time still: quite shameful, but people without dogs just don't get it.
It does, I still well up and get lumps but egetting there slowley. I know, it's one of the reasons I lost my job because he got sick and I got distracted.

Hon, I'd never read this before. Hugs xxxx

Sleep well Barney x

So so so sorry for your loss , RIP beautiful Barney xx
Thankyou :eek:

Thank you everyone who has given me rep for this, I know i'm sometimes difficult and irresponsible but one thing was for sure I cared deeply and had such a wonderful bond with such a wonderful dog.

#63 ·
Oh my, that actually made me cry. What a wonderful story and a wonderful companion you had there. Im so sorry that you lost Barney, but (like me) i hope you can think of the wonderful times you had together and smile about them now.

2 days ago, 2 months ago i lost my Charlie Marley and it is still very sore, and i still cry over him. I just hope time is a healer.

RIP Barney.

#64 ·
Oh my, that actually made me cry. What a wonderful story and a wonderful companion you had there. Im so sorry that you lost Barney, but (like me) i hope you can think of the wonderful times you had together and smile about them now.

2 days ago, 2 months ago i lost my Charlie Marley and it is still very sore, and i still cry over him. I just hope time is a healer.

RIP Barney.
Thankyou and Sorry to hear you lost Charlie, it is a healer. I still miss him and yes I still have moments where I break down and cry but I have my room decorated in photos and can look at them and smile :eek:

#65 ·
Thankyou and Sorry to hear you lost Charlie, it is a healer. I still miss him and yes I still have moments where I break down and cry but I have my room decorated in photos and can look at them and smile :eek:
Thats good, im still no where near that stage yet. Although i couldnt delete him from my signature, i still cant look through the many pictures i have without crying. :(

#66 ·
Thats good, im still no where near that stage yet. Although i couldnt delete him from my signature, i still cant look through the many pictures i have without crying. :(
I was the same only I hid everything because otherwise i'd break down and cry. Last year was the first time I managed to get everything out and put it back. I love looking at them now as it jsut feels me with warmth over sadness :eek:

#68 ·
oh springerhusky, this is the first time I've read your post about Barney, and it's made me cry so much. What a lovely boy. I'm glad you can remember him with love and warmth now. You must miss him so much. xxx
Thank you :eek:

#72 ·
This is the first time I have read Barney's story.

Barney's story is so touching. He sounded like a wonderful lovely dog who helped you so much. You must miss him a lot.

RIP Barney.
Thank you, it'll be 3 years this november. Gone by so fast but still miss him like crazy :(

Brody has come to remind me of him quite a bit but yet unlike with his son, Rusty it's not upsetting me and i'm not judging him. I guess because i've moved on a bit more.

I still have his photos on my wall and look at them often x

#75 ·
This is the first time iv read Barneys story. What an amazing dog he was. He looked so happy and eager to please. Loved the video of his quick tricks, clever boy. :)

R.I.P Barney
Thanks x he was a smart lad.

Have to say, I had a huge weep. Big hugs to you. Will you rescue another, in Barney's memory?
Asked me that last year, i'd have still told you I would never have another springer.

This dog has crept into my life and has won me over, he wasn't even meant to be my dog and was meant for my mum. Recent changes meant we "swapped" dogs :rolleyes:

He's snuck into my heart no way any other dog but Barney could. I've had dogs since him and still have Maya and I adore her but this little waggily thing is the first time i've been so distracted that my thoughts of barney being gone have been easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.