Teen dog walking and dog sitting?

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by Dan37944, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Dan37944

Dan37944 PetForums Newbie

This is not a ad, just a few questions.

I am a teen boy, 15, and am looking to work with animals, preferably dogs, and possibly get some money on the side.

I have my own dog, a Yorkshire terrier (I know what a manly dog), and have grown up around dogs. I have taken out my aunts cocker spaniel's many times, both lively dogs who pull like mad, and some of my other family's dogs, mostly labradors. But this is becoming a problem as my dog is 15 and can't go on walks like she used to, although I still take her, and it's very inconvenient to go to my family's as most of them are almost 40 minutes away and my parents are getting fed up with taking me, as it was supposed to be a one off thing but I liked it so much I kept going. And so I was looking for a job to satisfy my love of the dogs (or any animals really) and possibly make some money.

I was looking for a job when my dad suggested that I start a little dog walking Business. And before anyone asks yes I have looked for other work with animals, like at my local animal shelter and cat rescue (this was volunteer work) but they would not take me and I have looked for just normal work like a paper round but this line of enquiry brought up nothing but disappointment.

I live on a housing estate a with a lot of elderly people and some of them have dogs so I thought this was a good start. And I have looked on the internet and asked some of the people that I know if there is an established dog walker in the area and the awenser is I don't think so, there is not media presence of one and no people I know, know somone who do it. So I will not be cutting in to anyone business.

But what I want to know is this a good idea, or is it just a plain bad one. Would people be willing to hire me, do I need a special insurance and if I do how much is it. Do I need a business license and what are the other things I would need to start this up

2. Dan37944

I have just looked and saw you do need insurance, I said to my parents about it and thay said that you don't need it if you want to do it just do it

3. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums VIP

Sorry to be blunt but you are not old enough. Plenty of other similar threads on here you might want to check out.

AlexPed2393 and FeelTheBern like this.
  4. Paw87

Paw87 PetForums Junior

Keep up with the volunteering until you are old enough to work. You will have loads of experience by then. Good luck and keep up the good work!

By the way, I think it's great you're already researching what it is you want to do as a career. Your determination is admirable.

5. Dan37944

I can't volunteer (as they don't have the insurance to take me, until I am 16) that was why I wanted to do this.

6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Presumably your parents will be happy to be homeless should you be sued?

Insurance is really important, and you will not get insurance on your own at your age, at least not a policy you could afford

7. Dan37944

My parents said they would be happy to pay for insurance, as my dad realised that I would need it if I were to do it.

8. Paw87

Paw87 PetForums Junior

Ah sorry. Did you ask them what age you need to be to volunteer there?

9. Dan37944

I did they all, I have been to 5-8, said 16 some 18. I have said that I will do anything like clean pens or take them for walks or whatever they want me to do but it's still 16-18

10. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

This is because you are still what we call a young person under MSLA and thus the RA etc will differ from that of a YP.